Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20

Author Topic: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby  (Read 123318 times)

noxcape

Re: Bass in Deer Lake - Burnaby
« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »

And FYI I am not saying go bucket crazy with them I am 100% against that

Fillibert

« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »

Now I'm starting to question myself as to whether that was a bass or just a crappie. It had teeth so I assume it was. Do crappies have teeth?. I have caught bass in there for sure though last year.
P.S. I fish deer lake to keep the fish (no native species all stocked) so I don't care how I handle the fish but in other places with native fish I use barbless and handle them with care
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:51:30 PM by Fillibert »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:50 PM »

Now I'm starting to question myself as to whether that was a bass or just a crappie. It had teeth so I assume it was. Do crappies have teeth?. I have caught bass in there for sure though last year.

Largemouth bass it was.

fishgutz63

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2012, 08:45:07 AM »

blah blah blah enjoy fishing and catching any kind of fish for now because  the snakeheads have arrived ::)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:56:04 AM by fishgutz63 »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »

What you guy gonna fish for When all the trout hatchery close do to lack of funds and
There are no more trout nice way to treat a fish that can handle what ever the environment cans throw at it tsk tsk

Trout hatcheries won't be closing any time soon as long as you need to keep buying your licences for bass fishing  :P
And there will be trout in the lakes where they exist naturally. And of course you could go fish for salmon, a once again NATURALLY occurring species.

BTW what was wrong with the way he treated that? So he had a bleeder? You telling me you've never had a bleeder? Way he's holding it seems much nicer than the stick your hand down its throat for a picture method.

As one of my teachers said "If you catch a brown trout in the cowy or another introduced anywhere else (bass) I give you full permission to dance on it"  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:42:53 PM by Every Day »

RG

« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2012, 08:11:30 PM »

Trout hatcheries won't be closing any time soon as long as you need to keep buying your licences for bass fishing  :P
And there will be trout in the lakes where they exist naturally. And of course you could go fish for salmon, a once again NATURALLY occurring species.

BTW what was wrong with the way he treated that? So he had a bleeder? You telling me you've never had a bleeder? Way he's holding it seems much nicer than the stick your hand down its throat for a picture method.

As one of my teachers said "If you catch a brown trout in the cowy or another introduced anywhere else (bass) I give you full permission to dance on it"  ;D

"It had the hook down it's mouth so when I pulled it out I tore something thus all the blood"  Tearing something out of a fish is never good, hence my comment about handling.  Also,  most people I know gently hold bass with their thumb and index on the lower jaw, I haven't seen the sticking hand down throat you mention, I have seen people yank hooks out of throat though, lots of blood!

Fillibert

« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »

Barbed hook was stuck down it's tongue (throat). I used needle nose pliers to pull it out but nicked something. It bled out of that hole more than a stocked trout when I bleed it, well maybe not but for size of opening yes. I was surprised, I've never bled that much and I cut myself at work all the time.
Just so we're clear... I don't want to build a bad rep

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »

It happens anyone who has never made a fish bleed doesn't get out enough don't worry about it

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »

I don't want to build a bad rep

Don't worry too much about it. Bleeders from deep hooking, or even shallow hooking, do happen from time to time, whether you are fishing for bass, trout, salmon or steelhead. It is one of the main causes of catch and release mortality. A salmon that is hooked on the tongue can bleed profusely and end up dying after being released. A deep hooked fish means difficulty to get the hook out, sometimes it is easier to cut the line and leave the hook in the fish. You'll have to use your own judgement to determine what is best for the fish you intend to release. Sometimes the wrong choice is made, which happens to everyone at some point in their fishing career.

RG

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2012, 09:19:14 PM »

That's your best argument for legitimizing an invasive species as a legal gamefish? How am I not surprised? ::)

All fish species are not crap fish. Trout, bass and northern pikeminnow all have recreational values. More importantly, they are all ecologically important in their natural habitat. Both smallmouth and largemouth bass are excellent gamefish, but their introduction to waterbodies where they do not naturally occur should be prevented. The same goes to all other species that are not native in British Columbia. It's not a case of trout vs bass, but native species vs invasive species.

Northern pikeminnow have been natural predators to salmonids since they began coexisting. In the Columbia River, dams have created more favourable condition for northern pikeminnow than juvenile anadromous salmonids. Because of the slow water created by dams, northern pikeminnow have been able to predate more efficiently and expand their populations faster than they would naturally, therefore a bounty has been set up for them.

In Cultus Lake, northern pikeminnow's population is reduced by various methods due to the low number of sockeye salmon in this lake. The low number is caused by decades of overfishing. To ensure this endangered population thrives once again, predation of juveniles needs to be reduced.

In both cases, the decline of salmon populations has been human induced factors (dams and overfishing), not northern pikeminnow. If anything, northern pikeminnow favours salmonids as it is a natural selector of the salmon population. Their predation eliminates the weaker ones in the population during the juvenile stage.

This is why we have trained biologists making decisions on how an ecosystem should be managed, not sportfishermen who have special interests on particular species. Sportfishermen generally rate fish species by their recreational value, but fail to realize the bigger picture. Majority of the inhabitants (smaller fish, amphibians, reptiles) in a waterbody are not targeted by fishing. Those are the most vulnerable and easily displaced or replaced when new competitive species are introduced.

And no, I'm not a bass hater. I enjoy catching bass just as much as many others, but I usually like to put logics ahead of self interests.

Sadly this province is teaming with invasive species, including rainbow trout.  Although native to the province, much of the 'Semi-Domesticated' strains of rainbows the gov't stocks  throughout the province are no more native than a largemouth bass in deer lake.

Cultured rainbows can have impacts on any waterbody given the fact that they do not occur naturally and could disrupt the biodiversity of a particular ecosystem.   For example, stocked rainbow trout completely cleaned out indigenous salamanders rom Yellow Lake BC.  Furthermore, a non-native strain of rainbow trout introduced to any given waterbody could have negative effects so attempts are made to protect native strains from introduced and potentially contaminated strains.  Consequently, a hatchery raised rainbow introduced to lake x is a non-indigenous species.  Imagine the introduction of northern pike (native to northeastern BC) to some of our interior lakes, likely a negative outcome.

Anyway, they're  all fish that have a niche somewhere (except hatchery raised fish, maybe the dinner plate) in some ecosystem, to say they are crap is a bit extreme and the comment is perhaps a bit displaced.  Anyway, just wanted to point out rainbow trout that we stock everywhere aren't necessarily native. 

Sam6140

« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 12:45:12 AM »

pretty sure it was a virgin fish. haha  first time being caught

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »

if you think this is a problem, think again. go to the great lakes & tributaries. Big bass+big carp+salmon+trout+sturgeon=all fish happy...until asian carp came...
Someone was here

Fillibert

« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2012, 10:45:37 AM »

So went out today and got lots of bites got a 10 incher but mostly 6ers. Saw lots I mean lots of fish fry. Does anybody know what species those are? If it's bass fry then we can now call it a bass lake with stocked trout fishing in spring and fall. But if it's trout fry then it's really good news because if they survive then fishing is going to be good in a few years. That would also mean we should control the bass population because they are invasive. I was counselled for practicing catch and release. But if there is no future for trout at deer lake I want the bass to get big but if they do then we gotta keep them to the 6 inches or less.

mko72

« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2012, 10:55:31 AM »

Are you fishing from shore or from a boat?

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »

I have visited deer lake with my girlfriend a few times the last 3 weeks. Like Fillibert mentioned we caught largemouth bass around 5 to 7 inches.
Most of the takes were on wooly buggers and streamers, although a small rooster tail & also a silver spoon were just as effective.

and oh yes, i was just casting towards the lily pads from the main beach area

So went out today and got lots of bites got a 10 incher but mostly 6ers. Saw lots I mean lots of fish fry. Does anybody know what species those are? If it's bass fry then we can now call it a bass lake with stocked trout fishing in spring and fall. But if it's trout fry then it's really good news because if they survive then fishing is going to be good in a few years. That would also mean we should control the bass population because they are invasive. I was counselled for practicing catch and release. But if there is no future for trout at deer lake I want the bass to get big but if they do then we gotta keep them to the 6 inches or less.

I have no idea what those fry are. I do see them jump like crazy in the shallows as it gets closer to sunset
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20