- 3 (13.6%)
Self taught
- 16 (72.7%)
From a friend
- 2 (9.1%)
or still don't know
- 1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Fly Casting  (Read 6620 times)

Bone

Fly Casting
« on: January 10, 2006, 02:32:38 PM »

Hey just wondering how everybody learned how to fly cast.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Fly Casting
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 04:15:32 PM »

Taking casting lessons from a pro lessens the training curve and far less frustrating.

sliverbullet

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 06:17:45 PM »

or you can go the cheaper way and self teach  ;D

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 06:47:29 AM »

self taught in the late 60's

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 04:32:38 PM »

Did them started in 1970. Got my first lessons in 73; bogus by todays standards. My next round of lesson were in 97. Then again in 98. Then the last and best round in 2000. Take it from one who has been there and done that, lessons are a great asset but only if the come from a good instructor. And that does not mean it has to be a certified instructor, my second instructor bragged allot about his certification and was about ad usfull as an instruction book. My third instructor was also certified was better and I have incorporated some of the things he taught me into my instructions. My fourth instructor was miles ahead of them all combining a proccess of explaination, demontration, and hands on, instead of just saying this is how it is watch me.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Matuka Jack

• It's time to fish!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 09:50:26 PM »

I learned from books and going to the water and try out what I read. 
The most important component in learning Fly Casting is practice and more practice and more practice after that and so on.
"Of the things we think, say or do:
1.  Is it the TRUTH?
2.  Is it FAIR to all concerned?
3.  Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
4.  Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?"

By Herbert J. Taylor

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 01:08:07 AM »

Self thought. But at one point while practicing a old gentleman could bear the sight any longer he gave me some pointers.  :-[
Anyways after that just more practice.

David

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 12:42:06 PM »

I was initially taught by a lecturer at my college in '96 (I studied a Diploma in Fish Farming and Fishery Mangement.)  I then went out to South Africa for my work placement, to work on a Fish Farm there.  Whilst I was there my boss was friends with a South African International Fly Fisherman, who then re-taught me the delicate art! ;D  Now he was an amazing fly fisherman!  He taught us how to cast when you have obstacles behind you and showed us how to fish the smallest stream you've ever seen - maybe a metre across in some places with rapids, riffles and rocks etc!  Great for small wild Brown Trout!

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 02:31:28 PM »

David it sounds like your instructor was one of the best. I find way too much is put into distance (bragging rights) and too little into what is generally useful. I would rate effective fly casting (that is if catching fish is your goal) in this way; 75% form, 20% accuracy, and 5% distance.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

David

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »

Hey newsman, Yes he truly was one of the best.  I could sit there for hours just watching the guy fish. :o

I also agree with your point about distance.  What is the point in putting a fly out 80-100 feet, if there are fish right under your feet?  Which can often be the case A:  If you are fishing a stream that is only 3 feet wide!  B:  When you have a lot of bankside vegetation that the fish use for cover. 

Have any of you ever seen the fly casting competitions, where anglers have to put their fly inside a floating rubber circle (that is about half a foot across!) at varying distances!!  Especially when Wild Brown Trout fishing, accuracy is the key.   ;)

Tight lines

David