Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any steelhead on the fly yet this year??  (Read 11014 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
any steelhead on the fly yet this year??
« on: January 09, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »

i'm reminded repeatily by my fishing buds to use my baitcasting gear but every time i get a chance to go out i just can't help but take the fly gear...(first off it's a helluva lot lighter to hump)....I'm also too damn stubburn and think that everytime i take it it's one day closer to getting proficient with it, so I've stuck it out so far,...but back to my original question, anyone got one yet on the fly? and if so what pattern etc. did you use?? thanks very much,

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: any steelhead on the fly yet this year??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »

My buddy down the street got a nice hatchery the other day on the Stave. He had to rub it in since I'm stuck on the couch recovering from surgery. He got it on a pink Wooly Worm, thats right "A Pink Woolly Worm". You see he is too green in the sport to have been bombarded with all the stuff from the bunch who have heard just enough to think they know everything. Your fly rod will work for you if you focus on some key factors. Here's the goods "Think Big Slow (Because the water is sooooo cold) Rainbow" Next think about what is on their mind "Spawning". Put yourself in their spot, you are there the ladies are there and you have one thing in mind. Feeding is not front and center so we as anglers need to put our presentation right in front of their nose as often and for as long as possible. We also have to come up with the food souce that will reach to hidden recesses of their small mind and trigger the feeding instinct. It's not rocket sience but it aint easy either.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »

My buddy down the street got a nice hatchery the other day on the Stave. He had to rub it in since I'm stuck on the couch recovering from surgery. He got it on a pink Wooly Worm, thats right "A Pink Woolly Worm". You see he is too green in the sport to have been bombarded with all the stuff from the bunch who have heard just enough to think they know everything. Your fly rod will work for you if you focus on some key factors. Here's the goods "Think Big Slow (Because the water is sooooo cold) Rainbow" Next think about what is on their mind "Spawning". Put yourself in their spot, you are there the ladies are there and you have one thing in mind. Feeding is not front and center so we as anglers need to put our presentation right in front of their nose as often and for as long as possible. We also have to come up with the food souce that will reach to hidden recesses of their small mind and trigger the feeding instinct. It's not rocket sience but it aint easy either.

Hey i like him already. My buddy pretty much yaks at me about tying weird creations but i don't have a lot of the "tradional" tying supplies so i tie what i see in the mouths of the fish i see caught...he just shakes his head sometimes but my "secret weapon" i've got a pink worm, chopped down so it's about a half inch off the back and wiggley...hot pink and white marabo. and a little tinsel...(it's still tinsel to us newbies)..on a #4 salmon hook...i think the thing if nothing else will piss um off enough to bite...guys at Mike and Youngs wanted to swip it and try it..but i only tyed 3 and they are mine...if they catch anything i'll name them after my wife's butt...

Fishingbum

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 06:14:38 PM »

Try a Black Egg Sucking Leach or a Pink Rabbit strip worm. As the water gets colder and fish have been around for a while dont be afraid to try a small pattern like a single egg or Stonefliy in dark brown or black.

Ian S

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 09:09:20 PM »

I like your style Golfman your going to far in this sport.

nigglesworth

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:41:40 AM »

Well, I am 0 for 7 so far, but determined to keep trying.  2 on the thompson, 2 on the squamish, 2 on the vedder and one on the rogue river in oregon.  I wish the vedder wasn't so far....  the squamish is a stones throw away... but it can get quite frosty up there!!!  One get's tierd of cleaning ice off the eyelets every 20 mins....

I have mostly used the general practitioner, mai tai, Doc Spratley  and a few popcicle patterns.  I haven't tried the egg sucking leech, but just tied a few up on my new xmas present!!!  (My new addiction, tying flies)  So I will have to give those a try.

I will catch at least one on the fly this winter!!!  Even if it takes me a hundred trips.

Anyone been out searun cutties???  Are there any available beach fishing, or is that not until fry hatch?  Would love to know...

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 11:43:20 AM »

Well, I am 0 for 7 so far, but determined to keep trying.  2 on the thompson, 2 on the squamish, 2 on the vedder and one on the rogue river in oregon.  I wish the vedder wasn't so far....  the squamish is a stones throw away... but it can get quite frosty up there!!!  One get's tierd of cleaning ice off the eyelets every 20 mins....

I have mostly used the general practitioner, mai tai, Doc Spratley  and a few popcicle patterns.  I haven't tried the egg sucking leech, but just tied a few up on my new xmas present!!!  (My new addiction, tying flies)  So I will have to give those a try.

I will catch at least one on the fly this winter!!!  Even if it takes me a hundred trips.

Anyone been out searun cutties???  Are there any available beach fishing, or is that not until fry hatch?  Would love to know...

any luck with the popsicle patterns..i've tyed some as well but haven't fished um yet...also tyed up a bunch of rolled muddlers, fry patterns and minnow patterns for the cutties, hoping to go tomorrow and try one or the other...p.s. i've caught a bunch of wood and rocks so far..no fishies though!!!

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 05:04:50 PM »

Try pink/purple combo popsickle pattern, and don't forget to try flesh patterns as well this time of the year.
As far as fry patterns go, they are patterns more for march and april.

Nigglesworth, i have never fish the squamish system for steelies and haven't a clue as where to start. Any general area you can point me to would be awesome.  I don't even know how to get to the river other then below the mamquam where i do some chum fishing.

thanks

nigglesworth

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 09:28:38 AM »

See the fishing reports...  there was a report on the squamish in the last two or three days!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 09:33:31 AM »

A little too early for Squamish steelhead, it's best fished in March and April. Although both the Squamish and Chilliwack Rivers are at the same scale in terms of water body size, the amount of fish returning to the Squamish is insignificant compared to the Chilliwack.

Jaggers

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 06:26:39 AM »

Here in Ontario, I too have had a very hard time with the steelies this fall.  Went the big "0" for the entire time.  The runs came in and if you weren't there on a specific date, you missed out....such is fishing though.  The rigs that we use mostly are single egg patterns, but an effective alternative is using a large full motion nymph pattern.  Often, the fish see so much roe/yarn that they just turn right off of it so switching to a nymph is very productive here.  The pattern that I use quite frequently here is called the Full motion Hex

http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/fly%20pdf/FM_Hex.pdf

I don't know if this type of thing will work out there but, maybe with some modifications it could work.  Really anything that has the lifelike motion of rabbit works dynamite.

Anybody have any advice for a newby to BC fishing in and around the vancouver area??  Thanks everyone.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 10:27:56 PM »

Here in Ontario, I too have had a very hard time with the steelies this fall.  Went the big "0" for the entire time.  The runs came in and if you weren't there on a specific date, you missed out....such is fishing though.  The rigs that we use mostly are single egg patterns, but an effective alternative is using a large full motion nymph pattern.  Often, the fish see so much roe/yarn that they just turn right off of it so switching to a nymph is very productive here.  The pattern that I use quite frequently here is called the Full motion Hex

http://www.grandrivertroutfitters.com/fly%20pdf/FM_Hex.pdf

I don't know if this type of thing will work out there but, maybe with some modifications it could work.  Really anything that has the lifelike motion of rabbit works dynamite.

Anybody have any advice for a newby to BC fishing in and around the vancouver area??  Thanks everyone.

thanks jaggers. i tyed one last night and it's in my arsenal now...

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »

Ive caught a few searun cutties in the past month :D  Im fishing the harrison for them.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 01:44:53 PM »

Just got my copy of Steelhead Fly Fishing (author Trey Combs) yesterday. Late Christmas pressent, my wife hade a hard time finding a clerk at chapters who could even find it then ther was the mail order thing $80 after taxes, duty, and shipping for the paper back. Worth every penny though. Anyway in an my previous post I mentioned that too many people know just enough to think they know it all, as I scanned the book, before starting to study this phone book sized work, I found some interesting entries under the heading of Traditional Steelhead Fly Paterns.( Page  474) Black Ant, (475) Black Gnat Bucktail, (476) Bucktail Coachman & Burlap, (477) Dragon Fly, (480) Red Ant & Royal Coachman, (481) "WOOLY WORM". As I said raindow trout, big yes, sea run yes, but still a rainbow nothing more. 

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »

Just got my copy of Steelhead Fly Fishing (author Trey Combs) yesterday. Late Christmas pressent, my wife hade a hard time finding a clerk at chapters who could even find it then ther was the mail order thing $80 after taxes, duty, and shipping for the paper back. Worth every penny though. Anyway in an my previous post I mentioned that too many people know just enough to think they know it all, as I scanned the book, before starting to study this phone book sized work, I found some interesting entries under the heading of Traditional Steelhead Fly Paterns.( Page  474) Black Ant, (475) Black Gnat Bucktail, (476) Bucktail Coachman & Burlap, (477) Dragon Fly, (480) Red Ant & Royal Coachman, (481) "WOOLY WORM". As I said raindow trout, big yes, sea run yes, but still a rainbow nothing more. 

how can i find this book too? i'm in u.s. so assuming b&n??? also till then are these all standard colors or are they in "hot pink"... ;)