Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any one using a switch rod ???  (Read 4782 times)

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
Any one using a switch rod ???
« on: March 24, 2007, 03:39:47 PM »

I have been debating so hard on this it's crazy... I can see so many benefits of a switch rod as you can use it both ways... and i'm wondering if it would be a good starting ground? Has anyone or does anyone on here use them and if so, what line weight are you using and targeting???

Chrome Mykiss

Re: Any one using a switch rod ???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »

I have a Loop switch rod, 11'2" 7wt Blue line, its a fun little rod for swinging. However, its not that great for doing speycasts with heavy tips. It can really launch a line doing overhead casts  ;D  It's really versatile, put on a WF floater for nymphing or a Loop adapted head for swinging.
There are alot of new switch rods on the market since the Loop rod came on the market though. Companies like CND, Sage, G. Loomis, Meiser and Beluah all have their own switch rod designs.
I haven't really fished with it much since I got my spey rod though  :P

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »

switch rods are not for beginners they take some time to master, I use a old sage 8113 #8- 11' 3" does the job but difficult to master.Your better off learning some basic spey casts on a 14 footer . then like me you can blend some teq. to suit your style.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 08:23:45 PM »

what exactly is an overhead cast? How do you do it???

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 09:08:43 PM »

Overhead cast is just a term some guys use for your basic fly cast, which uses a back cast to load the rod for your forward cast  :P  When shooting head type lines are used with switch rods, super long casts can be accomplished since you have so much more rod(length) to load. Thus, switch rods have becoming very popular with the beach fishing fly fishers.
I agree with Jim, eventhough I'm a newbie with a spey rod. I think its alot easier to learn spey casts with a tradionally spey rod as opposed to a switch rod. A traditional spey rod requires a proper D-loop to be created in order to load the rod for your forward cast.

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 09:08:26 AM »

That same "D" loop is also used in switch rod casting, at least for me. but maybee we should have a fishing with rod cast and blast.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:23:42 PM »

Xgolfman, Do you have any 2 handers already? if not and your just thinking about getting into spey casting, just use one of your single handers to play with. Any rod can be used just some are a heck of alot easier. As far as my own switch rod goes, I picked one up not long ago in the form of the 7wt loop black 11'2", i got it just for playing around with dollies and maybe some smaller salmon species. I would say to learn the proper form for spey casts it is better to start on something in the 14ft range in say an 9wt. a slower rod will make you keep proper form also. Unlike my little cannon that allows me to cheat occasionally and go underhand.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:28:04 PM by Jamison Jay »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 10:13:46 AM »

JJay - you said you have a little cannon. Nothin' to brag about unless you reall know how to use it.  ::)

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:28:51 PM »

man I walked into that one ::) Ok, it's still 14ft really it is ;D

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 07:55:15 PM »

What is the purpose of a switch rod? Reaction made up a 2wt switchrod but I don't understand why you would want one. Is it for nymphing with an indicator?

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 08:09:31 PM »

A switch rod is a rod that is meant to be dual purpose. It can be cast as an single hand rod or when gripped by the butt section can be used as a spey casting rod. An actual switch rod is usually a slower action longer rod than your normal fly rod. Like my 11'2" 7wt.  or a 12' 6wt. They don't always have to be real long but that seems to be what I see around  ;D

Mind you any rod can be cast using the spey casts, just some are more adept to it.