Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Tidal - Fly Fishing Pinks  (Read 8873 times)

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Tidal - Fly Fishing Pinks
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:07:28 PM »

What size flies are you using? Are they bigger than normal because of the water clarity? ::)

I think I mentioned previously (maybe on another thread) that I had tried bigger flies as I thought they might help the fish see them in the low visibility of the Fraser, but it has been the usual Size 6-8 that have taken the fish.  I have smaller flies for the clearer waters of the Harrison but I did not get any hit on those either.
Not all those who wander are lost

ricer

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 07:12:30 AM »

Where have the pinks gone?
Seems a little early for the pink run to be over - i know the commercial seines are fishing (only 3 or 4 out in the strait) as we went out to sandheads yesterday.  We only caught one.  Saw some small schools of fish here and there.  I heard the run was downgraded as well to 17 million?  It was just getting fun!

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »

fished lower tidal Fraser yesterday. Started off with Pink daredevil with white lightening stripe down the middle and even though small schools of pinks continually streamed by bites were far and few. Switched to the fly rod with a clear tip and started to get bites steadily. A slow strip was the key and the bites came quite close into shore,about a rod length and a half in. Finished the day with a limit of pinks, lost about as many and a total of about 11 fish on the fly.
The best fly for that day was ones that were solid pink / cerise,with a marabou tail.
It ain't the roe bro'

ricer

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 05:42:40 PM »

good to hear

went up to look at peg leg - rumour has it they dregged it out so no one can cross because people were getting stuck last year and spilling oil and gas into the river.  an alternative might have been to make it more passable!

fly fished below peg leg and caught a couple but couldn't get out to where they really were cruising

ricer

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »

good to hear

went up to look at peg leg - rumour has it they dregged it out so no one can cross because people were getting stuck last year and spilling oil and gas into the river.  an alternative might have been to make it more passable!

fly fished below peg leg and caught a couple but couldn't get out to where they really were cruising

where abouts were you fly fishing - pm if you like

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »

i use a size 6 shrimp style fly thats pink with a green bead and black tail and it works good for the fraser and for clear water a blue tail instead of black
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

ricer

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »

what tides are you guys finding the best?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »

I have not been out in over a week, but it was always incoming tide, and usually tailed off after the switch and the tide started going out again.
Not all those who wander are lost

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 09:13:35 AM »

Has anyone tried fishing from the flat on the south side of the river just east of Deas Island Park?  Seems at low did one can get way out there, with obviously a ton of back casting space as you are a few hundred feet out from shore.  I could see oodles of pinks jumping very close to shore out there.

ricer

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

very muddy i am guessing  - you might sink

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »

wear snow shoes!

;)