Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Tidal - Fly Fishing Pinks  (Read 8872 times)

mykisscrazy

Fraser Tidal - Fly Fishing Pinks
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:16 AM »

So I hear of lots of people catching fish on spinners and spoons.
Anyone having any luck flyfishing?

frozensalmon

Re: Fraser Tidal - Fly Fishing Pinks
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:15 AM »

I met a guy he said he got 30 pinks in 1 hour on fly on his secret spot............
lol
more coho, more coho... ::)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 10:54:22 AM »

I met a guy he said he got 30 pinks in 1 hour on fly on his secret spot............
lol

Which is in his bed, because he must've been dreaming for those kind of numbers to be true?  lol

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:01:12 PM »

No, large-number-fish days for pinks on the fly are easily reached.
Most are fly-flossed but it doesn't really matter.

I wll be doing a pink fly day or two in the near future.
My arm is going to be sore for a week or so after that.

Last season, I hooked a pink near the tail and it took me 100 ft into my backing.

bluenoser

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:47:12 PM »

30 pinks in one hour...2 min per fish...that is fast.

Saw a guy hook into three fishing around No#3 rd yesterday...his back cast look a little dangerous but maybe that was just the angle I was at compared to him....he was using a quick strip retrieve.

katfish

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:56:58 PM »

How was the back cast dangerous.  Too close to the head?  Should have had rod out to side more, not straight up over and down.  I'm new to fly fishing and once  took a hook to the face.  Lucky I did not get hurt!  It was windy too.  Thanks

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:38 PM »

No, large-number-fish days for pinks on the fly are easily reached.
Most are fly-flossed but it doesn't really matter.

Large numbers on the fly are entirely possible, but as pointed out one fish every two minutes for an hour straight seems pretty incredible.  :)  And it's tougher to floss the fish in the tidal fraser than it would be where there is more current.  That's ok though, maybe it DID happen, and that would make for a magical day! 

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:41:29 PM »

How was the back cast dangerous.  Too close to the head? 

I think the dangerous backcast might've referred to the people walking on the pathway behind the caster, rather than the backcast being a danger to the angler himself.  Though I entirely agree, backcasts CAN be dangerous to the angler, I know you're not the only one who has hit him or herself in the face with a fly before!  ;)

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »

i am going to try the fly on my boat this weekend. hopefully it works because it would be a blast to hook into fish of that size on a 6 wt. i dont think i would even try a fly from shore. gonna bring the spin caster as backup.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »

i am going to try the fly on my boat this weekend. hopefully it works because it would be a blast to hook into fish of that size on a 6 wt. i dont think i would even try a fly from shore. gonna bring the spin caster as backup.

It definitely CAN work, as Pinks will take the fly aggressively, I've had some great days flyfishing for them over the years in various places.  Flyfishing can be a lot tougher in low-visibility conditions such as we're having right now, you'll do better if you can find clear(er) water while you're out there.  Also stick with highly visible flies that incorporate bright colours (including metallic wraps, etc) and present strong silhouettes.

Good luck!
:D
Tex

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:03 PM »

i think i have some proper flys for average water conditions. cant wait. but i will try to find better water probably by the mouth

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 05:23:33 PM »

I only fly fish (although my daughter's first pink was on a croc) and although I have stopped reporting, I have not been skunked on the Fraser yet, although I have had 1 day with only 1 fish.  I can honestly say not one of the pinks I have caught is flossed.  Every one is caught on the retrieve, stripped straight back up the river, and usually within the last few meters.  I have never hooked a pink on the drift or the swing in the Fraser.  I have also had great days with numerous fish but that might be 5 fish in an hour.  To catch one fish every 2 minutes you would not be fighting the fish for more than 1 minute and I have not had a fish yet come to hand so quickly.  These have been some strong fighting pinks (many over 7 pounds).  I can see 30 "bites" in an hour possible (had a similar experience years ago in the Charlottes fly fishing the salt chuck for pink for the first time), but I was missing the majority of the strikes due to inexperience. However, fishing the Fraser, with the visibility so low, I find it hard to believe that you would get a bite on every cast (and that would be necessary to achieve those numbers) especially when I found that a slow retrieve produced more hits and a slow retrieve means fewer casts in an hour.  This sounds like an exaggeration, (but what fish story isn't?), that being said, I have seen my flies out perform the gear around me on every outing except my last when two guys in a boat beside me hooked 4 fish on small pink spin-n-glo's in the time I hooked 1 (about an hour).  That said, once I found out how they were fishing them (very slowly and near the bottom) and adjusted my methods (rapid sinking line and ultra slow retrieve) my own pace picked up after they left.
Not all those who wander are lost

dmoney

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 05:28:55 PM »

Which is in his bed, because he must've been dreaming for those kind of numbers to be true?  lol

LOL Spence, I agree. 30 fish in an hour isn't difficult to believe, it's impossible to believe. It didn't happen. A fish every cast would result in fewer than one every 2 minutes, unless there was no hook on his fly :)

D$

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 06:52:51 PM »

i think he had fishermans disease or on stoner time, and his one hour was probly actually all day  ::) or he counts long line releases as catches.
I know i have had times where i have hooked pinks on EVERY cast flyfishing but thats in clear rivers in pools stacked with fish.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »

thanks for the info sandman, even though you were referring to the 30 fish per hour. i wasn't sure on which line to try first. i will try that sunday.