Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roche lake  (Read 9447 times)

rhino

• Old Timer
Roche lake
« on: June 10, 2010, 08:47:11 PM »

Hello,

I have decided to head to Roche lake for a weekend July 9th. I have never fly fished any lake before. I would very much appreciate any advice on how to fish this lake at that time of year.

Thanks you in anticipation. :)

R

wizard

Re: Roche lake
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 07:28:24 AM »

chironomids around 20 feet of water will by far give you the most consistent action. 
later in the day when chironomids have tailed off, try trolling a small micro leech with sinking line....worked good for me last weekend.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »

Thank you. :)

What is the best way to calculate your depth while fly fishing?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:05:33 PM »

Thank you. :)

What is the best way to calculate your depth while fly fishing?

Put your forceps on the end of your fly line and drop it down. Once it hits bottom measure how much of your fly line is out. I am too lazy to do that though so most of the time I just try and trust my depth sounder.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03:09 PM »

Put your forceps on the end of your fly line and drop it down. Once it hits bottom measure how much of your fly line is out. I am too lazy to do that though so most of the time I just try and trust my depth sounder.

Ok. Thank you BB.

If I am fishing chironomids do I strip or twitch the fly once at the right depth or just leave it to hang? Also with leeches, what is the proper retrieval technique?

Sorry if my questions sound ridiculous. I have never done this type of fishing before.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:35:23 AM »

figure 8 retrieve !!!

i like to let my chironies just dangle unless the water is dead calm then its the figure 8 as well. You wanna move your fly quite slowly. with chironies, if you think your going slow.......SLOW DOWN MORE !!!
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

cohojoe

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »

sometimes there are good fly anglers fishing with Chronies.   If you watch how they do it you can mimic their actions ( slow ).   I even had the good fortune to go when it was early season like now.    Wow.    Keep an eye out for the big loons.    If they grab your trout hang on but do not yank the fly and trout.    The loon needs to surface for air and when it does;  then pull the fish out of his mouth.    By then the trout has been squeezed to death and reeling fast is your only choice.    You will then see the amazing teeth marks in the shape of a sharp V  on the trouts body.     Releasing the trout is usually not an option because the Loon has done the deathly damage to the fish.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 05:31:34 PM »

sometimes there are good fly anglers fishing with Chronies.   If you watch how they do it you can mimic their actions ( slow ).   I even had the good fortune to go when it was early season like now.    Wow.    Keep an eye out for the big loons.    If they grab your trout hang on but do not yank the fly and trout.    The loon needs to surface for air and when it does;  then pull the fish out of his mouth.    By then the trout has been squeezed to death and reeling fast is your only choice.    You will then see the amazing teeth marks in the shape of a sharp V  on the trouts body.     Releasing the trout is usually not an option because the Loon has done the deathly damage to the fish.

Sound like a photo opportunity! Its the loons fish if its in its mouth before my boat! Loons need it more then I do anyways. ;)

Thanks for the info guys.

R

Iyekim76

• Facebook Mike-SL
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:34 PM »

Yes, keep quiet if loons are around. Just about lost the fish on my profile pic while fishing Tunkwa. The fish was less than a pound but once that loon locked on to my trout my line just kept peeling! I thought it was the true kamloops trout fight, but once i saw the loon rise, i pulled and stripped line as quickly as I could!  A lot of fun and great memory on my first interior fish...;D
---------------------¿<•}},'-'{]~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »

I like to fish my chronies without a retrieve.  A nice bit of wind creates a chop (chronie chop) on the water which makes your indicator bounce around.  Your chronie is doing the same thing underwater and will attract fish all by itself.  If there is no wind then I go with an ultra slow retrieve.  If I don't get any action I will start to decrease my depth by moving the indicator in one foot increments down the leader.  I have been fishing in 20 feet of water but the trout were hitting my chronie in about 9-10 feet.  Just keep playing around with depths until you start getting hits.

As for trolling leeches.  I find that trolling with a motor is much less effective then trolling by rowing.  This is due to the "jigging" effect you get from rowing as opposed to the constant motion of a trolling motor.  Be prepared when fishing this way as the takes can be vicious.

For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 04:23:52 PM »

I like to fish my chronies without a retrieve.  A nice bit of wind creates a chop (chronie chop) on the water which makes your indicator bounce around.  Your chronie is doing the same thing underwater and will attract fish all by itself.  If there is no wind then I go with an ultra slow retrieve.  If I don't get any action I will start to decrease my depth by moving the indicator in one foot increments down the leader.  I have been fishing in 20 feet of water but the trout were hitting my chronie in about 9-10 feet.  Just keep playing around with depths until you start getting hits.

As for trolling leeches.  I find that trolling with a motor is much less effective then trolling by rowing.  This is due to the "jigging" effect you get from rowing as opposed to the constant motion of a trolling motor.  Be prepared when fishing this way as the takes can be vicious.

You can get the same effect with a trolling motor. Just give the motor some short bursts. Does the same thing and just as effective.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 04:47:19 PM »

Thank you all for the info. Look forward to chronie fishing for the first time!

as far as my timing goes (july 9th and 10th) should I be fishing deeper if it is hotter out by then?Does it matter?

Banny

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 06:20:04 PM »

More than Likely, look in the 20 - 35 foot range at this time of year

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »

Was at Roche over the weekend.  Caught a decent number of trout but nothing too big.  Interestingly many of the trout we caught were coloured up and one was spitting roe everywhere.  I thought that Roche was full of Triploids (which I understand are sterile).  There must be a breeding population of rainbows at Roche as well.

There were very few chronomids coming off over the weekend.  The weather was hot in the morning followed by thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Maybe this had something to do with the lack of bugs?  I am not sure. Everyone I spoke to was also unable to find a substantial hatch and found the fishing somewhat slow.  Some sedges around and lots of rising trout.  Most fish were caught trolling leeches which is my least favorite method of fishing.  I only caught a few on the chronies and left somewhat disappointed. 

Lots of Bears around there right now.  Always a treat!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

Was at Roche over the weekend.  Caught a decent number of trout but nothing too big.  Interestingly many of the trout we caught were coloured up and one was spitting roe everywhere.  I thought that Roche was full of Triploids (which I understand are sterile).  There must be a breeding population of rainbows at Roche as well.

There were very few chronomids coming off over the weekend.  The weather was hot in the morning followed by thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Maybe this had something to do with the lack of bugs?  I am not sure. Everyone I spoke to was also unable to find a substantial hatch and found the fishing somewhat slow.  Some sedges around and lots of rising trout.  Most fish were caught trolling leeches which is my least favorite method of fishing.  I only caught a few on the chronies and left somewhat disappointed. 

Lots of Bears around there right now.  Always a treat!

Although they dont spawn they still get colored as if they do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"