Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my trip to Oregon  (Read 1104 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
my trip to Oregon
« on: September 05, 2006, 07:30:32 AM »

I took a road trip with the family this past week, we drove the down to the Oregon coast - specifically seaside and cannon beach.  While I wish I could be posting this story in the fishing reports section, unfortunately fishing just wasn't in the cards.  I tried to arrange a charter but for only myself, footing the bill to charter a boat would have been an unjustifiable cost when I have caught so many fish this summer and the deep freeze is full.

Anyhow the trip wasnt an total waste of time  even though I didn't get fishing  ;) ... I went down to the lamiglas factory and toured their facility!  I was down there getting a warranty replacement for a rod I broke and struck up a conversation with one of the guys there and he was kind enough to take me for a walk through. 

It was pretty neat to see a rod in its "embrionic" state...nothing more than a flat sheet of cloth at that point.   From there the cloth is cut to achieve a specific shape (ie length, diameter and taper) and then it goes though maybe 10-15 steps before it is ready for the shelves.  If anyone wants to hear more on the specific process I can post more details after I have caught up on my 238 work emails.

Anyhow is was great to learn about the process and while I was down there I picked up 3 blanks as well so overall that was a great stop for me  ;D

Little bit of useless trivea before I get back to work: did you know that several of the major brands/manufactures  in the US use the same raw materials from the exact same supplier?!?! Shocked me to  :D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: my trip to Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:02:10 AM »

Hey Gooey,

My wife and I were at Cannon Beach just over a month ago.  We stayed at the Hallmark and had an ocean view room.  Very nice.  No fishing though.  Where is the Lamiglass factory?  I didn't realize it was in the area!

Cheeers

FFM

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: my trip to Oregon
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:11:11 AM »

Lamiglas is about 1.5 hrs away from cannon beach, we took the I5 down and their factory is about 20 minutes beyond  the exit that takes you west to the coast.