Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Casting  (Read 7286 times)

ktt

Re: Long Casting
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »

Is that true for the north arm as well as the south arm?
Yes, good for both side and even at the beaches at Garry Point Park (High tide).

Wow, that's less than a fifth of an ounce!  Did he have to add sinkers to get the 20 feet?
No, no need to use sinker. He used a 7 ft spinning rod, medium light power, fast action, line 4-10lb and with the lure weight: 1/16- 3/8 oz.

KarateKick

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »

A spoon or spinner from 3/16 oz to 3/8 oz, 8-10 lb mono or 15-20 lb braided line is all you need. You will get your salmon very close to the shore in the tidal Fraser.

Is that true for the north arm as well as the south arm?

Yes, good for both side and even at the beaches at Garry Point Park (High tide).

Last year my son got his first ever coho by using a 3/16 oz Gibbs cros just around 20 feet away from the shore at the low tide.

Wow, that's less than a fifth of an ounce!  Did he have to add sinkers to get the 20 feet?

No, no need to use sinker. He used a 7 ft spinning rod, medium light power, fast action, line 4-10lb and with the lure weight: 1/16- 3/8 oz.

Thank you so much.  I'll practice casting with a small spoon.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »

In those videos, they're using huge beach rods, and the guy said 150 grams will get you out there. That's over 5 ounces I believe.

losos

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:06 PM »

IMHO and experience, no chance.  Same line, same weight/lure, same length/action of rod etc. I just haven't seen a baitcaster outcast a spinning rod.

As many times as I have been beach fishing coho and have watched shore/surf casters from Panama to California to Florida, it is virtually universally spinning gear. 

I don't think it is possible for bearings AND the line guide to have less of an impact than line upspooling through the eyes of a spinning real.  Again, given the same quality of gear, same lure weight, same line diameter, lb test and quality...

Sorry Damien the world record belongs to baitcaster.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/1005004666

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 07:51:42 PM »

I used to cast pendulum style when shore fishing back in the UK and we would use the floor method when casting from a pier
I used a 12ft surfcaster with Abu level wind 20lb line (30lb shock leader) and a 6 ounce weight

not sure i would want to try this on the Fraser  ??? and as other mentioned why would you want to cast 80 to 100 yards out as the river flow would be too strong for say a six ounce weight (which would be all you could cast that far) and the fish tend to swim closer to shore ;)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »

Britguy, what's the purpose behind slinging your offering out so far? I assume you were fishing carp?
All the places I've seen carp around in BC and US they haven't been shore shy, are they just more pressured in UK?