Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Casting  (Read 7287 times)

KarateKick

Long Casting
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

I'm trying to learn how to cast long enough to reach salmon from shore, and I've found these methods:

Pendulum cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWOsjjnfKtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGR_7XZOrS0

Ground cast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12rBB-mgDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRCTVm-LxY

Have you guys caught salmon at a beach or the lower Fraser using a simple ground cast?  The pendulum cast looks cool but I think I'd kill a person before I catch a fish.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
Re: Long Casting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:59:07 AM »

you will be surprised how close to shore coho swim escpecially in the lower fraser. lite spin caster with braid makes a wonderful casting rod. with the right weighted spoon it will fly farther than you think. check out rods vids. just dont expect a fish like that every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6FbfDjUehk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tNTZCSD1A

MetalAndFeathers

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:20:04 PM »

I dont know why there is a need to do fancy casts like that i can casts my canadian tire rod easily 80 feet out,the trick is light line,i use 15lb powerpro but its quite expensive but 8 lb mono works well too.As for coho i usualy cast 30 feet out.

baowu2

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »

are you trying to catch the trees on the other side of the fraser?~

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 01:15:52 PM »

20' will get you salmon.

ktt

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:24:50 PM »

A spoon or spinner from 3/16 oz to 3/8 oz, 8-10 lb mono or 15-20 lb braided line is all you need. You will get your salmon very close to the shore in the tidal Fraser. Last year my son got his first ever coho by using a 3/16 oz Gibbs cros just around 20 feet away from the shore at the low tide.

Rayne

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 07:51:55 PM »

Agreed lower fraser you don't need a far cast...  but he mentioned beach i m assuming salt water... if that's the case a far cast can at times be essential.  I would recommend practising with a decent baitcaster setup and lighter mono to reach the fish. Spin and braid work too.. but baitcaster will always get more distance when used properly.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 08:06:57 PM »

Completely disagree.

Dollar for dollar, gear for gear etc... A spinning rod/reel will outcast a baitcaster every, single, time.  Pure physics.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 08:35:59 PM »

Completely disagree.

Dollar for dollar, gear for gear etc... A spinning rod/reel will outcast a baitcaster every, single, time.  Pure physics.

Explain the physics part, because I'm not sure, with the way the line comes off the spinning reel slapping the first two eyes... Compared to coming clean and straight off the spool. Yes there's bearings involved, but that's less friction than the drag of the momentum of the spinning line.

Am I just dumb?

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 08:54:21 PM »

IMHO and experience, no chance.  Same line, same weight/lure, same length/action of rod etc. I just haven't seen a baitcaster outcast a spinning rod.

As many times as I have been beach fishing coho and have watched shore/surf casters from Panama to California to Florida, it is virtually universally spinning gear. 

I don't think it is possible for bearings AND the line guide to have less of an impact than line upspooling through the eyes of a spinning real.  Again, given the same quality of gear, same lure weight, same line diameter, lb test and quality...

clarkii

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »

As many times as I have been beach fishing coho and have watched shore/surf casters from Panama to California to Florida, it is virtually universally spinning gear. 

Might have to do with a few things.

I would imagine spinning reels are easier to rinse and maintain then baitcasting reels.  further the capacity is easier to get on a spinning reel without bulk then a baitcaster.

I imagine distance is not a part of the equation in terms of choice.

KarateKick

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 10:37:49 PM »

A spoon or spinner from 3/16 oz to 3/8 oz, 8-10 lb mono or 15-20 lb braided line is all you need. You will get your salmon very close to the shore in the tidal Fraser.

Is that true for the north arm as well as the south arm?

Last year my son got his first ever coho by using a 3/16 oz Gibbs cros just around 20 feet away from the shore at the low tide.

Wow, that's less than a fifth of an ounce!  Did he have to add sinkers to get the 20 feet?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:42:20 PM by KarateKick »

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 10:55:35 PM »

I have had good success chucking 1/4 ounce spoons and jigs from shore on the Lower Fraser (North and South Arms).  This is with budget spincaster reels and rods.  I don't think I ever caught a coho far from shore all have been within 20-30 feet.

In my experience the most important thing about spincasting the Fraser is to be very persistent.  Distance has never been much of a factor.

Rayne

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 12:45:44 AM »

Completely disagree.

[/quote    not trying to start debate here. But must say i used to believe the same. But now do not, if throwing very light stuff spinning reel for sure but for heavier things baitcaster any day with out level wind or disengaging one makes even more apparent.  But casting it properly is the key. Just my opinion. But if you check out long distance casting records and hardware used you might agree too.

Rayne

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 12:50:07 AM »

Sorry last post didn't turn out quite right.. trying to write it on my phone. Not working well.lol. that's enough for me. Good night.