Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone been fishing the Stamp?  (Read 5880 times)

oscar

Anyone been fishing the Stamp?
« on: October 09, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »

Heading over tomorrow to fish the Stamp/ Sproat / Somas for a couple days.... any reports? It's obviously been low and clear on the island as well...

ByteMe

Re: Anyone been fishing the Stamp?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:32:12 PM »

I live here in Port.Honestly,it's a waste of time til we get some rain.You will prob be the only one on the river.Water is ankle deep at the Park and not much higher upstream.Best to delay till next week after the rain if possible
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

oscar

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »

Bummer.... Kind of committed at this point.Couple days booked with Murphy.... will make the best of it.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:01:48 AM »

The fish will start to move with the rain I would say (forecast for friday) even with water levels low. In my experience with the stamp after it has been dry even an overcast day with just a sprinkle of rain can cause an exodus like I've never seen with fish on the move all day. The fish are unfortunately lock jawed when this happens. After the rains if the river isn't blown out causing the fish to shoot through they might get a little more aggressive. All that being said there is always days and conditions that you wouldn't think you'd get into fish and it happens so good luck...
always a student

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 07:49:48 AM »

Bummer.... Kind of committed at this point.Couple days booked with Murphy.... will make the best of it.

u will be ok if yo're on a guided trip,be tough if u were a bank fisherman though...........gl
                                         Lefty Kreh

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »

I was up there last week and the upper stamp is so low you can wade it.
If any one has ever been to the upper stamp, and can imagine it knee deep (which is what it was) you know we badly need rain out here.
Cowichan was also expected to dry up... this rain is definitely very much needed.

On the side of fishing the stamp...
There were lots of old springs around, and a few coho starting to show in the upper.
Also a few steelhead where we were, but most of them will be way up river by this point in the season.

jump14

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 10:11:59 AM »

Its low and slow. Took a drive out today, took some more sips of coffee and turned around

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:09:09 PM »

Damn Low and Warm! You'll need some Luck to tag anything. Seen quite a few dead fish littering the river bed - not spawned out - likely due to heat exhaustion.
The rain hasn't come on as hard as predicted - will need many days of it at this rate to make any difference.

If you do go, please AVOID killing any springs! We are NOT going to make the escapement this year due to a HUGE over-harvest by the local FN's. Every single one of them are now damn important for the future!

Cheers,
Nog

oscar

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:53 PM »

Was able to bail last minute, and head in a different direction up to White lake to enjoy some trout fishing on the fly.(Slow fishing, but a great trip). Murphy was more than happy to re-shedule a trip once river levels are back where they should be...already looking forward to chasing some winter steelhead.Thanks all for the input...

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 12:30:58 AM »

Was able to bail last minute, and head in a different direction up to White lake to enjoy some trout fishing on the fly.(Slow fishing, but a great trip). Murphy was more than happy to re-shedule a trip once river levels are back where they should be...already looking forward to chasing some winter steelhead.Thanks all for the input...
i love dec steelhead fishing on that flow! ;D

oscar

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »

Cool shot of White lake at dusk....

« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:56:12 AM by oscar »

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »

The Conveyor Belt for Coho has kicked in... BIG TIME that is  ;)

Cheers,
Nog

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »

I can just imagine Matt, have fun buddy...
always a student

4TheKids

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 11:21:31 PM »

Just got back from an amazing weekend with Murphy's on the Stamp. But I am surprised there are very few posts about fishing with guides in either General or Reports. The numbers you get when you are with a guide on a jet boat is out of whack with most bank fishing. I willing to post some details unless it is frowned upon.

ByteMe

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »

Just got back from an amazing weekend with Murphy's on the Stamp. But I am surprised there are very few posts about fishing with guides in either General or Reports. The numbers you get when you are with a guide on a jet boat is out of whack with most bank fishing. I willing to post some details unless it is frowned upon.
Why should it be frowned upon?If it's all done wthin legal limits and ethics,and if some people still have a prob. with it,it's their problem,not yours.Please share
                                         Lefty Kreh