Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Socks from shore  (Read 8746 times)

steve B

Socks from shore
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:54:06 AM »

anybody had any luck catching these fish out of the fraser from shore this year i live out in Ridge so its kinda challeging to find a place to fish from shore in maple ridge without having to drive to mission or hope or the vedder.

mr.p

Re: Socks from shore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 03:42:41 PM »

After becoming intrigued by various success stories from the lower river, I decided to conduct my own little sockeye study.  I've only been out twice and only for a couple hours each time, but have hooked fish both times.  I used BIG shiny/flashy spoons with a pink hoochie attached or trailing about 12 inches.  I fished on the flood tide and there were tons of fish coming through.  The way I figure, these fish bite hoochies trailed behind flashers in the ocean, I am fishing minutes from the ocean, there are 200,000 fish a day passing by, i'm bound to get at least one or two to bite.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »

I live only a few blocks up from the lower Fraser in South Vancouver, I've gone out a few times throwing spoons with no success. I haven't gone with the tides though, only when I've had an hour or two to kill...I don't really think fishing at the bottom of Kerr street to be the best spot either, probably better on the opposite along river road

rheticus

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »

Do you think River Road in Richmond (i.e., Middle Arm) is more promising and accessible than the bottom of No. 3 Road (South Arm)?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 08:28:53 PM »

After becoming intrigued by various success stories from the lower river, I decided to conduct my own little sockeye study.  I've only been out twice and only for a couple hours each time, but have hooked fish both times.  I used BIG shiny/flashy spoons with a pink hoochie attached or trailing about 12 inches.  I fished on the flood tide and there were tons of fish coming through.  The way I figure, these fish bite hoochies trailed behind flashers in the ocean, I am fishing minutes from the ocean, there are 200,000 fish a day passing by, i'm bound to get at least one or two to bite.

I want my money back, I did what you wrote for an hour tonight and nothing happened. ;D

Do you think River Road in Richmond (i.e., Middle Arm) is more promising and accessible than the bottom of No. 3 Road (South Arm)?

There are not a whole lot of fish moving through Middle Arm (at least not when I have been there). The only rises that I have seen were on the Airport side.

Nitroholic

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 09:05:33 PM »

I want my money back, I did what you wrote for an hour tonight and nothing happened. ;D

That makes two of us  ;D

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 09:21:58 PM »

An hour?   ::)  What kind of 1/2 effort is one hour???  ;D

samw

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 11:46:06 PM »

I thought I would give it a shot at #3 this past week.  Tried a few nights after work. There weren't many people fishing for sockeye.  I tried float fishing with krill, float fishing with yarn, bottom fishing with krill, bottom fishing with yarn, and spinning with buzzbombs.  There were lots of fish jumping around but I couldn't get a bite.

mr.p

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 03:11:16 AM »

I caught my fish in the south arm.  I choose my spot based on a couple hours of watching the gill netters in action a couple weeks ago.  The boats closest to shore were pulling up the most fish.  And not necessarily the north shore.... ;) ;).
Worth a shot sunday.  There is a decent high tide at around 1830hrs.  They should start rolling by around noon.

This is a very interesting fishery. General consensus that these fish dont bite in freshwater.  Well, firstly I'm so low on the river that it's basically the ocean and I believe they do bite, even in freshwater.  Just not eagerly, and a very small percentage. Besides the two fish I've caught this year in the lower river, I've also caught sox in the vedder that have been deep hooked and evidently have swallowed my presentation.  I have seen and heard of many others that have also swallowed the offering.  Sooner or later somebody will discover a sporting method to consistently catch sockeye.  Just a matter of time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:15:53 AM by mr.p »
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

jon5hill

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:56:20 AM »

Same methods used for pinks will work. It will just take more casts as there are fewer fish, and they do not travel in the same type of water as the pinks do.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »

Just not eagerly, and a very small percentage.

It will just take more casts as there are fewer fish.

Good to see a shift in mentality. For some reason, we expect the same high expectation that we have for pink salmon when fishing for sockeye salmon. Why? People cast all day to maybe catch a steelhead yet we do not conclude that they don't bite. Somehow because sockeye salmon do not bite readily, we've chosen to discard all the basics in fishing - Studying, experimenting and experimenting some more when we fail. Success rate is not always correlated to number of fish.

samw, don't give up. This photo should motivate you. This sockeye was from 2007 just downstream from the No.3 Road Pier. ;)

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:00:50 PM »

There was a chap who looked like a very experieneced fisherman triying to catch a sockeye on the N Arm of the Fraser.  Aprox every 5 minutes ya could see a fish make a splash.
One did so very near where he was casting....& he said to the wife & I "The fish are laughing at me"
Water looked very clean.  He was using a small orange colored spinning glow. (some weight up line so to get it out 60ft aprox in his casts)
edit in: yesterday just past 4pm he was fishing....
Wife & I went for a medium distance bike ride & went to McDonald Beach...& talk about ALOT of veicles with boat trailers parked in the big gravel lot !!!!!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:03:43 PM by arimaBOATER »

jon5hill

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 11:38:46 PM »

Hooked a bright male Sockeye on a spoon on the Fraser near New West today around 4:30PM. It took about 150 casts. They don't seem to be traveling as close to the shore as pinks do, as I hooked it about 30 feet out and then lost it at my feet. >:(

Stick with your guns and follow your gut. If there are tons of fish in front of you and you cast 100 times, you're bound to get the attention of one. It's a numbers game, although with pinks the numbers are more in our favor so it makes the lures seem to work more effectively.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:05:57 AM »

No doubt about it they travel further from the shore in the Richmond area then do other salmon.

samw

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »

samw, don't give up. This photo should motivate you. This sockeye was from 2007 just downstream from the No.3 Road Pier. ;)

Hey Rodney.   Yes, I'll keep trying.  :)  Is that the fish that you caught accidentally while targetting pinks?
On the nights that I was out, there were plenty of sockeye jumping within 10 feet from shore.  Just my observation, not that it means anything.