Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Careful on the water or whatever your activity...  (Read 5363 times)

arimaBOATER

Careful on the water or whatever your activity...
« on: July 11, 2010, 11:16:22 PM »

Just read of two mishaps on the water that happened recently.

A) A sailboat on Harrison Lk turned over with 2 onboard. One person is still missing.

B) A 16ft. Double Eagle boat with it's outboard running in neutral with no one in the boat. Police are looking for a 59 yr. old man.
This happened near Vancouver Is. I think.
Whatever activity ya do "folks" be safe & be defensive.  We all heard how a teen girl is dead hitting a parked car. She was on a "long board" (skate board)
Take care & live to be 99 yr old fisherman or lady.  ;)
Should edit in: Last week an 18ft Campion & a houseboat had a collison on a BC lake...one dead many injured.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:18:55 PM by arimaBOATER »

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Careful on the water or whatever your activity...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »

--safety tip I use myself:

--when under full power I always clip the safety kill switch to my life jacket. On lakes especially can be very calm running trimmed out full speed the boat can be unstable if you happen to hit debris or an unseen wave.
--once trolling low speed I switch to inflatable  PFD not as hot easy to maneuver when fishing.

--just like rods. reels, and line I have specialty life jackets for different situations including full floatation jacket and pants for cold water use.. Passengers are more comfortable using a life jacket when the boat owner is wearing one.

--usually wear the inflatable when river fishing even from shore... I didn't intend to wade but got the big one and had to get into the water, stepped in a red and oops... that's when the accident happens.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:47:14 AM by skaha »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »

skaha those are good ideas & practises.
On the Fraser River we put on our life jackets as well if going a faster speed.
Once though we were just going very slow in 3 ft waves...thus wife & I were not wearing any life jacket...but before we knew it we were LITERALLY in 5.5 - 6 ft steep waves  :o :o :o...the boat was nose diving as it went down into the trough...infact I couldn't stick mine on when in those situations as my full attention was piloting the boat in a NW direction thus in 3-4 minutes later we were back into 3 fters. again. "scary".

Guess it was just the way the tide ,flow of the river, winds & that location on the river.

By the way also a 16 yr old girl died at Hatzic Lake as she fell off the speed boat she was in & the boat ran over her...at the time I heard the news the RCMP divers still had not recovered her body.
That's 3 accidents or incidents in just the last few days... & 3 deaths ...& if ya count in the accident with the houseboat & 18ft Campion boat that makes it 4 deaths.  (assuming of course the missing boaters have drowned)

gofishon

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »

Wow, more people in trouble on the water. With the recent beautiful weather the news is full of more near drownings. National Drowning Prevention Week runs from July 19-25. Here are some "Drowning Facts " from a recent Canadian study:

Drowning is the third leading cause of unintentional death for Canadians under 60 years of age.

83% of drowning victims are men.

55% of all victims are between the ages of 18 and 49.

At the time of drowning, 62% of victims were engaged in recreational activities.

Of these activities, the most common were swimming (22%), fishing (20%) and powerboating (19%).

Over half of all drownings in Canada occur during the summer period (May to August).

Alcohol is involved in 38% of boating  fatalities.                                                                                                                                                                     Drowning is the second leading cause of preventable death in Canada for children under the age of 10.
New Canadians face a significantly higher risk of drowning while enjoying aquatic activities, as a study released Thursday suggests immigrants are four times more likely to be unable to swim than native-born Canadians.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:06:07 PM »

I saw lots of people floating down the Vedder River today and a majority of them do not wear life jackets......I shake my head everytime I see that.

gofishon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:18:24 PM »

They are most likely affected by Alcohol Induced Delirium Syndrome.

fishgutz63

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »

its pretty sad when your minding your bussiness fishing in an aluminium boat in osoyoos ,then you get these arrogant people in their hi powered ski boats intentionaly  buzzing you trying to swamp you with there wake at high speeds then laugh thinking its funny ,then those jet skiers too.this happened to my buddy and me about 3weeks ago we were taking on water at times and this happened for awhile till we just called it off and got out of there.  >:( >:(

gofishon

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 03:06:49 PM »

I was in the lower Fraser on Oct. 2 2009, when one of the new Super C-class BC Ferries was heading upstream to the Deas Island yard after the summer sailing schedule had ended. That captain had that ship at or near its 21knot (loaded) max. speed. What was he thinking? (HE WASN'T) The wake/wash was redonculous ::).

Weatherby

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »

yup,be safe on the river...consider others out there aswell.

gofishon

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:58:43 AM »

Another deadly Sunday yesterday on the local waters. Man drowns in Lake of the Woods near Hope and Chinese foreign student drowns in Alice lake near Squamish. Please, be careful on the water.

gofishon

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 08:44:02 AM »

A young man drowned last evening at Cascade Falls, a popular swimming spot near Mission. British Columbia has seen 11 more drownings this year than this time in 2009 . I wonder why? ???

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 10:56:30 PM »

4 people in a 15 ft boat drowned off the shores of Newfoundland. Found some floating in the water with their life jacket but the cold water killed them. Two young guys like age 8 & 12 or something like that.
When the searchers found the area where the boat sank there were 9ft swells...

They said the waters nearby have floating icebergs drifting by & whale watching.

Iron-noggin (memeber here at FWR) said 2 campers were attacked by a black bear on Vancouver Island. They got medical attention.
Guess it was a grumpy bear. Bear repellant spray would of came handy in that situation. (bear mace)
Careful what-ever your activity. Think safety 1st....
We are not made of steel but little bones & joints & blood....in other words were are fragile NOT built like an army tank....1 life not 9 lives. ;)

gofishon

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 11:55:51 PM »

I can just imagine the gongshow in thewaters off of English bay tonight. Heard of a "Mayday"call  at 7pm. Engine explosion with 9 persons on board in the harbour. That was before the fireworks. I hope all were safe.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 11:29:09 PM »

Gee I also wonder if anyone heard anything about the engine explosion ???

Not too many yrs ago a boat after watching the fireworks was crossing the Straight of Georgia heading for Vancouver Island...& the boat hit a log....the coast guard in the air saw his light on the guy's cell phone...thus they they proceeded with the rescue.

Some guys told me they watched the fireworks once then came back with their small 13-16 ft boat????....past UBC...past the airport...around Sandheads then up the Fraser R. to Steveston Harbour IN THE DARK with no electronics...aiding them.

The young guy said "NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THAT" guess they got kinda scared a few times.....

mattyo

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 09:06:22 AM »

Another young man died in a boating accident in the Okanagan :'(