Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help identifying a fish  (Read 5512 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Help identifying a fish
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 06:46:17 PM »

did the fish you caught look like this?

LOL. An allusion to the old Yellow Pages commercials :)

blacktail2

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »

Its a kelp greenling, i have taken many photos of these underwater and it is definately a kelp green ling.. A clarification here, at least the fish in reply number 11 is
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:40:59 AM by blacktail2 »

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 10:09:46 AM »

Eulachon?

Fillibert

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 11:52:14 AM »

Ok last clue... looks like a firefish but without the spike and with a more sane cold water camo pattern aka green, brown, grey.

TimL

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 07:03:16 PM »

Didn't want to start a new thread. Sorry don't have a pic but caught an eel shaped fish by Jericho today. Not on Rod's list of fish and not like anything that I found under long body fish on google. Any ideas? About 10 inches long
Sounds like a pacific snake prickleback: http://www.fishbase.us/summary/Lumpenus-sagitta.html. Fairly common on sand-mud bottoms..I've caught them before using small hooks baited with worm/shrimp off Belcarra pier while fishing for other species. They are not true eels as they have a separate tail fin and spines on the dorsal fin; true eels have no fin spines and have the dorsal and anal fins joined at the tail end. Pricklebacks are a large family of marine fishes well represented in BC waters but most species are seldom caught by fishermen..they are generally too small to eat anyway...scuba divers may encounter them more often.
Not sure whether they are edible although I've read from one source ('Coastal fishes of the Pacific Northwest' by Andy Lamb) that they can be deep-fried into a 'crispy snack'.  :)

Fillibert

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2012, 08:23:16 AM »

ding ding ding we have a winner