Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp fishing  (Read 9771 times)

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
Carp fishing
« on: April 26, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »

Hello fellow carp fishers, tried Ladner sloughs the past couple of weeks but no fish.  Where in the lower mainland can I try my luck this evening?

BOWHUNTER

Re: Carp fishing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »

hatzic lake

steeleagle

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:58:01 PM »

Hatzic is looking really brown from my window, also pretty windy on the lake.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 05:13:36 PM »

Any spot closer to Vancouver?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 05:51:11 PM »

I will see if i can dig out my BC Outdoors mag that lists some of our local lakes that have carp.  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

JordsyU

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

Pitt Polder has some amazing Carp fishing in a few sloughs. Hard to explain where to go tho..... but I promise its good!
Beako for Life

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 06:11:09 PM »

here are the places listed in the article.

Sumas river, Sturgeon Slough, Burnaby lake, Lafarge lake. it also most of the backwaters and sloughs of the Fraser & Pitt rivers have good numbers of carp.

if you can get it the article is in the MAY 2008 issue of BC Outdoors
Check out our new blog

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:44 PM »

Yes Deer Lake has lots of carp and big dudes too :o

here is a quote from the reports section on Deer lake
While kicking around today I saw three carp in the 15-20 lb range jump
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 08:11:49 PM by Britguy »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:35:40 PM »

I saw one at Lafarge jump last time we were there. not even 20 feet off shore and it had to be over 10lbs  :o
Check out our new blog

noxcape

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »

there is also katzie slough the marshy area across the parking lot form the boat launch at pitt lake in the grant narrows park there hte slough if full of the and there are also tons of bass

Bhinky

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:03:49 AM »

I had read somewhere about a guy that was canoeing in Burnaby lake. He disturbed a bunch of resting carp and they were so big, when they took off under him, they almost tipped his canoe. This could just be a fish story, but I know that there are alot of big carp in that lake!

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 01:06:58 PM »

I had read somewhere about a guy that was canoeing in Burnaby lake. He disturbed a bunch of resting carp and they were so big, when they took off under him, they almost tipped his canoe. This could just be a fish story, but I know that there are alot of big carp in that lake!
Detinitely not a story they are there! 

I read a similar story and thought I would check it out so I took my inflatable there and rowed out to the lily pads opposite the rowing launch deck.  Not only did I see them activly foraging amongst the liliies but they would occasionally shoot out from under my raft torpedo style - quite dramatic.   They were not monsters - maybe 5lb or so but big enough to stir up the water a lot.

Unfortunately I did not know how to get a line to them because there were so many lilly pads around I was just getting snagged up.  Maybe tossing a bait just before the lilly pads start would work but I have no experience fishing for carp from a boat.  They seem pretty skittish so my guess is you would need to make as little noise as possible.

As for Katzie - I saw a lot of largish fish splashing the surface there.  People on this forum have told me they were carp - it looks like the right kind of water for them.  The only problem there is shore access very limited.

Just my two cents :)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 03:39:22 PM »

Kayaking at sturgeon slough many years ago, I was surprised at how many I was able to spook up in all the little channels that criss cross that area.  I have also fished for them there and can tell you that there are some nice fish in there. 

It used to also have a tonne of frogs and tadpoles, but I don't think it is the same anymore. Maybe the bass ate them all?

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »

Kayaking at sturgeon slough many years ago, I was surprised at how many I was able to spook up in all the little channels that criss cross that area.  I have also fished for them there and can tell you that there are some nice fish in there. 

It used to also have a tonne of frogs and tadpoles, but I don't think it is the same anymore. Maybe the bass ate them all?
Are there bass in there too?  I have heard that rumoured but not confirmed.

noxcape

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 06:15:05 PM »

there are bass in all the rivers and slough is that area and please dont be blaming the bass for eating everything they really dont i know a ton of lakes and rivers where there are bass and they all have tons of frogs and tad poles and everything else in them