Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pinks  (Read 4597 times)

island boy

pinks
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:52:25 PM »

when do they usally start to enter the local rivers? when fishing for them is there any certian type of water to look for? i know people say use anything pink, any suggestions on what to use.(spinners,wool,bait) any help would help. thanks.
you kill it, you clean it.

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: pinks
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:54:29 PM »

Mid August is usually the main push of fish. Float fishing pink wool, casting a pink spoon, fly fishing a crappy steelhead fly that u tied terribly!  ;D (my squamish poacher patterns/pink is the key!)
Fish killer 101

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:38:35 PM »

depends on location., squamsih area come earlier, fraser u can get em late july, through august as for the vedder they usually start comming around september. just use pink in anything

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:27:29 PM »

Pink salmon run times differ from system to system, but all tributaries of the Fraser River usually have similar run times as they all have to pass through the Fraser River.

The Seymour River and Squamish River can be good from the beginning of August. Cates Park in Deep Cove, where Indian River's run passes by, will see some fish around the same time too.

For the Fraser River, the peak of the run usually occurs from the last week of August to the second week of September, however the entire run lasts from early August until the end of September. During the peak period, you'll find them comng through in large numbers at any given incoming tide in the Tidal Fraser River. For best quality of pink salmon, target them in this section of the Fraser River as they are very fresh from the ocean. Chilliwack, Stave, Harrison Rivers will see their runs of pink salmon arrive around the end of August.

The setup that I personally like to use for pink salmon is a 7 to 8.5 ft spinning rod rated 6lb to 10lb test. The spinning reel shouldn't be too big, enough to hold 150m of 8lb test mono. The main line is tied directly to the lure that you wish to use. Pink is the preferred colour by most anglers but it really doesn't matter what colour you use. A plain silver spoon will catch just as many fish if you have the retrieving speed and action dialed. 1/4oz is the ideal weight for your lure.

island boy

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:25:07 PM »

thanks for the tips guys.
you kill it, you clean it.

GoldHammeredCroc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 10:15:49 PM »

Certainly good times...  ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 09:18:55 AM »

Don't pinks only come in on a 2 yr cycle? I did not think 07' was a pink year.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »

It is (2001, 2003, 2005....).

20.5 million pink salmon are expected to enter the Fraser River.

Tee

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am planning to do my first fly fishing with pinks this year, and I would like to do it on Squamish river. I was just wondering about where to fish. Would it be about where people fish for chum during fall. I checked the reg and didn't see the limit for pinks on the Squamish. Does this mean that no retention is allowed for pinks?

Many thanks for your help.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 04:45:07 PM »

There is no retention of pink salmon this year on the Squamish River, but the status may change during in-season assessment of course.

During the last run of pink salmon in 2005, the chemical spill in the Cheakamus River had a significant impact on the returning fish.

The fishing locations are the same as where you would target chum salmon in the fall, but keep in mind that the river is much higher, dirtier, especially with a higher volume of freshet that we are experiencing this year. The mouth of the Mamquam River provides some better clarity, but generally the river is very silty and unfortunately the fish caught are mostly flossed/snagged.

For a better flyfishing experience, especially if you would like to keep some fish, the Harrison, Fraser, Stave and Chilliwack Rivers are more ideal in September and part of October.

Tee

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 04:51:37 PM »

Many thnaks for the info.
I only fish on days that end with "y".

Blue Heron

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 05:55:41 PM »

It is (2001, 2003, 2005....).

20.5 million pink salmon are expected to enter the Fraser River.

Isn't there a bigger expected return on pinks this year then usuall ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 05:59:32 PM »

Yes, the 20.5 million (+ or - a million ;) ) is an estimate that is much larger than previous runs. In the last decade or so the Fraser River pink runs have steadily increased while other stocked have declined. Biologists are unusure at what point this incease will taper off/reach carrying capacity.

Blue Heron

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 06:02:33 PM »

Yes, the 20.5 million (+ or - a million ;) ) is an estimate that is much larger than previous runs. In the last decade or so the Fraser River pink runs have steadily increased while other stocked have declined. Biologists are unusure at what point this incease will taper off/reach carrying capacity.

Does the increase in return mean a higher retention limit ?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »

No. At least there have been no suggestions at previous meetings.