Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Go for a hook set always or wait for the right time ?  (Read 5605 times)

Blue Heron

Go for a hook set always or wait for the right time ?
« on: January 19, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »

I was fishing a run and had a possible hit. I've been told always go for a hook set, but how to be sure if its not bottom? If I tried to
set the hook every time that tap tap happens wouldn't I be spooking the fish? That same run I threw on a new roe sack and
ran my float through the same slot 3-6 times. I didn't hit bottom and my roe sack dissapear. I've also been told to let the drift
continue through and the fish will turned around to pick up the bait it hit at the start of the run. A little help would be nice.

Thanks

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: Go for a hook set always or wait for the right time ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:57:07 PM »

I was fishing a run and had a possible hit. I've been told always go for a hook set, but how to be sure if its not bottom? If I tried to
set the hook every time that tap tap happens wouldn't I be spooking the fish? That same run I threw on a new roe sack and
ran my float through the same slot 3-6 times. I didn't hit bottom and my roe sack dissapear. I've also been told to let the drift
continue through and the fish will turned around to pick up the bait it hit at the start of the run. A little help would be nice.

Thanks

If you have you're float set to the right length you shouldn't touch bottom, after a couple of drifts through the run you should be able to figure out the depth by adjusting you're float.. this way you will know 100% if it is a fish or not.. if the float is properly adjusted and it dips down set it  ;D ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Blue Heron

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 05:06:27 PM »

thickrick,

I always am adjusting my float and know the right depth is critical. I was told to run the gear so that the weights just tap bottom.
Every hook up I've had has been immediately no lite taps. Do you short float your drifts and go for a hook set every possible bite.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 05:20:03 PM »

I set it higher than bottom, any tap i lift my tip like a fly rod and if there's tension STRIKE! Steelhead takes can be really light!
Fish killer 101

Blue Heron

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:18:22 PM »

Thanks younggun. I've never had a lite take but hopefully tomorrow.  ;D I'll definitely try to be right on the mark.
Hopefully I'll be in the zone.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 07:35:18 PM »

Here's what Dave Murphy has to say on this subject: When I am fishing and my float goes down, I put my thumb on the spool and hold back for a slight moment. If I feel a tug, I set the hook and if it is not a steelhead I continue my drift....

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 08:08:03 PM »

Here's what Dave Murphy has to say on this subject: When I am fishing and my float goes down, I put my thumb on the spool and hold back for a slight moment. If I feel a tug, I set the hook and if it is not a steelhead I continue my drift....

Good point!!!

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 08:41:05 PM »

this is a GREAT topic, Steevie wonder could catch steelhead!!, why?? cause IF you control  your float, it should transfer all the wat to your thumb/hand, as you drift,  the line should be completely out of the water and the float should have an upstream slant of less than 20 degrees=constant dragon spool, thus giving you control all the way through the run and if the float goes down, by clamping down on the spool(as mentioned earlier) a fish will give itself away for the most part by either head shakes or running with bait.  try this,,,, close your eyes on a few drifts and learn to trust your senses, they wont steer you wrong and you will save a TONNE of bait...      PS   your float tapping bottom should happen once in a while through the drift, if not its too high

Plus tapping bottom and tapping by a fish is totally difference feel.

Blue Heron

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:59:06 PM »

Thanks again guys. ;D Well said cammer. Question, what is your average of light takes to that sure feeling of that smokin' hit
of the Steelhead? As I said earlier Every Steelhead I've caught has been on without question plus some well remember hard hits.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 08:59:23 PM »

agreed       heres a hint to all      say tap--- tap with about a second between each,   now say tap tap tap with barely a millisecond between each and youll know the differnce betwenn bottom and fish in most cases

Hey Cammer,this is too much information ;) ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 09:14:38 PM »

Most of my steelhead strikes have been the subtle type much like a hitting a snag where the float slowly gets pull down.

Blue Heron

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 09:28:34 PM »

Well off to bed tomorrow bright and early on the river. I hope to report a fish that I otherwise might have missed.
Thanks again

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 09:39:24 PM »

Short float is the best way to go
if you get a bite the float will dip
then you strike and fish on ;D

many a time i see floats laid on there side and the lead bouncing along
follwed by sharp noisey strike every time the float dips
which for the most part is the bottom
most fish will have been spooked by then
and any good roe will be gone from the hook

good luck in the morning B H

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:14 PM »

"heres a hint to all  ;)     say tap--- tap with about a second between each,   now say tap tap tap with barely a millisecond between each and youll know the differnce betwenn bottom and fish in most cases"

tap tap tap .......bam... pikeminnow
tap tap tap tap tap.....bam .....bullhead

Usually, your taps may very.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:59 PM »

Rarely do I have steelhead hit lightly.  Yes there is the occasion I feel a definite fish biting lightly, but it maybe a trout or something.  Hell, even the trout hammer pretty hard.  More often than not I feel the take just before the float goes.  No need for a Drennan, or Stealth or whatever.