Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Rod - Sage 3113M + Baitcaster - Your thoughts?  (Read 5996 times)

Daniel Beast

New Rod - Sage 3113M + Baitcaster - Your thoughts?
« on: September 29, 2009, 08:39:41 PM »

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a new outfit, went with the Sage 3113M (freds custom) after talking with local tackle shops.
The Sages seem to re-sell nicely, if I ever wanted to part with it. Plus its the best of the best out here it seems.

That being said, I coupled it with a Shimano Curado 301E, left handed reel.
Why I purchased it, over something like the Calcutta or the Luna? Because it went for half price, plus it was new in box. So I picked this up for around 200 CDN.
Which is not bad, if you check the prices out. (still waiting for it to arrive)

If I had to buy another one, I might of gone for the Shimano Chronarch, after trying it out at one of the shops. Smooth reel.
I like the idea of the low profile reel in my hand, so i went for one of these.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the Sage CT 3113M.
Anyone here use it on the vedder, or the fraser? Seems really soft, comparded to the 3106, I was disputing it with. But, apparently comes in handy for springs?
The only thing im worried about is hooksets, since its not soo stiff. But, if im using Braid as my main line, im hoping this will have just the right balance.

Bought rod to be an all arounder, to use for pretty much everything. Even though most guys will tell you theres no perfect rod etc.. I went with this mostly for lightness, length, and more importantly, power for those chinook!

Gonna be drifting, and chuckin spoons, and whatever else, so hopefully i can get some feedback, since im kinda new to all this  ;)

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks guys,

-Dan

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: New Rod - Sage 3113M + Baitcaster - Your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »

I have a 3106 which is also very soft but hooksets for the most part are not a problem. Prepare to be bent to the cork for most springs but if you have room you should be able to handle them fine. I do find though that it is a lot harder to "steer" a big spring with this soft a rod.

koko

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 04:43:50 PM »

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a new outfit, went with the Sage 3113M (freds custom) after talking with local tackle shops.
The Sages seem to re-sell nicely, if I ever wanted to part with it. Plus its the best of the best out here it seems.

That being said, I coupled it with a Shimano Curado 301E, left handed reel.
Why I purchased it, over something like the Calcutta or the Luna? Because it went for half price, plus it was new in box. So I picked this up for around 200 CDN.
Which is not bad, if you check the prices out. (still waiting for it to arrive)

If I had to buy another one, I might of gone for the Shimano Chronarch, after trying it out at one of the shops. Smooth reel.
I like the idea of the low profile reel in my hand, so i went for one of these.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the Sage CT 3113M.
Anyone here use it on the vedder, or the fraser? Seems really soft, comparded to the 3106, I was disputing it with. But, apparently comes in handy for springs?
The only thing im worried about is hooksets, since its not soo stiff. But, if im using Braid as my main line, im hoping this will have just the right balance.

Bought rod to be an all arounder, to use for pretty much everything. Even though most guys will tell you theres no perfect rod etc.. I went with this mostly for lightness, length, and more importantly, power for those chinook!

Gonna be drifting, and chuckin spoons, and whatever else, so hopefully i can get some feedback, since im kinda new to all this  ;)

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks guys,

-Dan

That's a nice set up you have, it will handle the big boy no problem, it's a long rod lot of give but lot of power 4110ct will be a much better rod for the Frazer though.

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »

i got the  gsh 3113mb    its my first quality rod and i love it (sensitive , light). i pair it up with a calcutta .and yes the hookets are a little soft .   i  havent really fought any big salmon with it  yet  but i brought in a 4 foot stuergon in 5 minutes   so it can handle  the bigger boys  but  it will bend to the cork.

Daniel Beast

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »

Wicked

Im pumped to try it out. You guys all use Braid on those rods??

Wondering if the Braid will help out in this case?

The 3113M definately has more give then the 3106, but im just forming this opinion based on wobbling the rods side by side at Freds and a few other shops. Also heard this was not the best way to tell the give to the rod lol.. heard u need it rigged and setup to get a feel of the this.

one things for sure, the green curado and the green sage, makes one hell of a uniform out there 

8)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:45:42 PM »

definitely use the braid with your curado it will cast better and once you get used to the softer hooksets you will know what it takes, took me a little while.

Daniel Beast

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »

Bought some 30LB Fireline smoke (black color), recommended by one of the tackle guys in SeaRun. The line has a thickness of 12LB Mono, so i figure this will be just right for fighting one of those nice Springs (someday)

Heard that Red line is less visible? you guys got any preference to line? brand?

Also wondering about leader... do you use braid for your leader as well? i have some 17LB or 20LB Spiderwire Clear Mono line i could use for this. Wondering what you guys hookup here?.

;)

Thanks for posting~!