Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to buy : Telescopic 15' Fishing Rod  (Read 10633 times)

bravo252

Re: Where to buy : Telescopic 15' Fishing Rod
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »

I used to pole fishing when i grew up in taiwan, and i caught my first fish that way, and it was a carp. However, craps here with pole fishing doesn't make a good match, unless u are willing to spend 400+euro to get one from UK which is about 15 meters long. Most 14-16' range role are design for fish under 10lb, and a lot of it are targeting cruasian carps(goldfish acestors) or talipia, which hardly reach 2lb in most cases. For sure a quality one can handle occasional largies, but since most carps i've seen ppl landing here are all above that range.

It is all up to the handling fish.

I usually land 10+ lb fish with no longer the 20 feet.

Bravo~!!

Hoju

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »

These look pretty cool. Is there a benefit to a telescoping rod over a normal rod?

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 07:52:34 PM »

Hi RJ
I have a 3 or 4 of those rods. I dragged them here from Europe, but never got into this kind of fishing. One of them is even quality carbon rod. Other is made by daiwa and I even have one made in Russia. I don't really need them and will trade them for some flies or other  fishing stuff if you are interested. let me know. I live in Okanagan but probably will be fishing Fraser this weekend.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »

Like spinning rods, baitcasting rods, flyfishing rods, fishing poles come in different length, stiffness, quality and therefore price as some have mentioned. Typical lengths range between 15 and 24 feet. Longer ones are available for special applications. 15 to 18 feet poles are typically used for creek fishing, for a variety of species that don't grow much longer than 12 inches in length. 27 to 30 feet poles are used in Japan's ayu fishery. Stiffer poles have been developed in Japan to suit the salmon fisheries in Hokkaido. Poles in the last two categories are usually very expensive, the material manages to reduce the weight to suit the angler when holding a 30 ft pole. I have an ayu pole sitting in my room that is 30 feet in length and 450g in weight, the cost was between $500 and $600, bought in the early 90s.

Telescopic rods (used with a fishing reel) in similar lengths are also available from Asia. They are primarily designed for several purposes - used in rockfishing, surf fishing, freshwater fishing for large target species such as big head carp. The long lengths are required to prevent line from scraping on rocks when benthopelagic species like silver drummers dive under the steep rock ledge, to maximize casting distance on the surface. The advantage of telescopic rods is their convenience. In countries where space is an issue, telescopic rods can be packed away with ease. The disadvantage is their weakness, but not too significant. The tip can often snap when extending or retracting if not careful. The guides can slip while fishing at times.

Pole fishing can be very fun, as Chris found out when I brought one out last week to catch pikeminnow during our barfishing session. Again, there are pros and cons when using these. They are easy to use, without the worry of tangling up your fishing line on a reel. A lift, a flick and you position your bait within seconds. The long pole allows you to control your line more easily. Line control is always best if it enters the water perpendicularly than in a small angle. Poles are best used when float fishing, because it allows you to rest it while watching the float. When fishing without the float, you need to lift the pole high enough to keep the line tightened if water is shallow. This may result in a sore arm or wrist, regardless how light the pole is. The con of a fishing pole is its limitation. Since the length of line equals the length of the pole, your fishing range is small. When a fish is hooked, the line may snap if the fish decide to travel beyond the length of your fishing line. It's not a good idea to use line that is heavier than what the pole can handle. I'd rather have a snapped line than a snapped pole. In BC, the usage of poles is quite limited because of the type of species that are available. Large salmon tend to take robust runs, making it impossible to control on a pole most of the time unless you have room to run and follow the fish. That being said, light poles can be very fun for trout and minnow species. Itosh's dad uses a pole to drift a nymph fly when fishing with us at interior streams and he does very well with it. My dad likes to use it when trout fishing at put and take lakes in the Lower Mainland. I sometimes take a pole out to target chub and pikeminnow in the Tidal Fraser River.

As for where to get a good quality pole, can't really answer that personally. Perhaps befriend with some of the Asian anglers who frequently travel back and forth between Taiwan/Korea/Japan and here. They maybe able to bring one back for you.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

This could be the new trend on the Fraser. 25' rod and 20' leader. Speaking of covering water. ;D

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »

I still have my Opa's old 24 foot bamboo rod that he used to use on the cannals of Holland.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »

You should be able to find plent of telescopic rods on the UK's ebay site at ebay.co.uk.  But check the difference between a rod and a pole first, they are NOT the same thing.  Rods are used with a reel, poles are not.  If you want a pole for salmon or steelhead fishing then you need a carp or power pole.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »

Hey Terry, this year I'm going to try pink salmon on pole.  See how that plays.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 12:54:45 PM »

Hey Terry, this year I'm going to try pink salmon on pole.  See how that plays.

I'll be downstream from you to collect your broken pole tip. ;D

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 08:18:17 PM »

Pinks shouldn't be a problem with any carp pole.  I'm even tempted to dust mine off and give it a go when they arrive.

oni_kage

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »

These look pretty cool. Is there a benefit to a telescoping rod over a normal rod?

The main advantage is the fact it is so long that you can get to places and present the bait very naturally. With typical rigs you cast a float which doesn't drift downstream as nicely as a minimally weighted bait. Besides it looks damn fun too, haha

The more expensive rods are thinner, lighter and stronger than the cheaper ones. That is why they can get so expensive. This sort of fishing is more like an art form than anything

*Edit: I just watched that video and the guide explains why he likes that rod... Basically what I said except he added that it can move over structures easier.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:47:27 AM by oni_kage »

rahmanjoy

• Red-Spring
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »

Thanks everyone.

Bravo, I got what I was looking for.
It is cheap pole rod for Fraser River Pike and Peachub.
This kind of pole rod is very light and sensitive. So, its easy to cast and catch fish.

Tadpole, thanks for your offer. I like to see them. Please let me know how to contact you. I live in Burnaby.

Yesterday my 4.5 years son catch his first fish with this pole. Amazing.

Rodney, thanks for the nice description of the pole rod.
<><   <><   <><

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 09:46:42 PM »

Pinks shouldn't be a problem with any carp pole.  I'm even tempted to dust mine off and give it a go when they arrive.

You should!!

May be together we can start a new fad!!   ;D

Hey Rod you still got your pole rod right?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2009, 09:50:28 PM »

Yeah I have about ten poles. Fishing poles that is. ;D