Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1346130 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2460 on: November 01, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »

Hatcheries provide employment for commercial fishermen, angling opportunities for sports anglers and work for federal employees.  Can't see much change there, despite what future science may show regarding salmon farms.

All things that Fish farms could provide. They could even design them like a theme parks for anglers. Obvious employment for Commercial fishermen and still would be regulated by the government to provide jobs for federal employees.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2461 on: November 02, 2016, 07:14:30 AM »

If the science comes back and they determine that fish farms have zero impact on wild stock is there a point to having hatchery's anymore? Would it not then be more economical for then the government to give up the hatchery's and then let the industry just farm them? Hatchery's seem like an antiquated system at that point.

Federal hatcheries are involved with coded wire tagging (CWT) of Chinook and Coho. CWTs are a vital management tool to help determine things like survival, exploitation, distribution and abundance. It is difficult to successfully capture enough juvenile salmon in the wild to apply CWT to make it worthwhile. Not just because of abundance, but because the environmental conditions to capture them don't cooperate very well - especially at this time of the year. That's why hatcheries are involved.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2464 on: November 02, 2016, 05:22:54 PM »

Federal hatcheries are involved with coded wire tagging (CWT) of Chinook and Coho. CWTs are a vital management tool to help determine things like survival, exploitation, distribution and abundance. It is difficult to successfully capture enough juvenile salmon in the wild to apply CWT to make it worthwhile. Not just because of abundance, but because the environmental conditions to capture them don't cooperate very well - especially at this time of the year. That's why hatcheries are involved.
Chilliwack River Hatchery does not CWT coho any more I am told.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2465 on: November 02, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »

True, but others do :)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2466 on: November 02, 2016, 06:13:59 PM »

Of course the link FB posts comes from so called fish farm expert. ::)
Back to you. Where is the science you stand behind? Taking a guess it is the same hype I jumped ship from :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2467 on: November 02, 2016, 09:06:30 PM »

True, but others do :)
Which ones Dave?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2468 on: November 02, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »

DFO scientists today are free to speak ... they have nothing new to add to this debate.  It's coming everyone, Miller-Saunders and Riddell are working on it, expect some publications in 2018.  In the meantime, you're right "there's no science to say that fish farms are bad for wild salmon"

Be patient.
After watching the debate on the bill and hearing what the Parliamentary Secretary to the Fisheries Minister had to say we know what Riddell is going to report. :( Did you watch the debate?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2469 on: November 02, 2016, 09:53:19 PM »

Back to you Chris. Where is the science you stand behind? Taking a guess it is the same hype I jumped ship from :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2470 on: November 02, 2016, 10:34:59 PM »

After watching the debate on the bill and hearing what the Parliamentary Secretary to the Fisheries Minister had to say we know what Riddell is going to report. :( Did you watch the debate?

No.
When was the last time a private members' bill was recognized?  Name an MP that would vote to put app. 5,000 people out of work?  Besides, I had some drying paint that needed watching.

Riddell will report the science; be assured of that.  He is as reputable as they come but I know you won't believe anyone that may possibly find no fault with Pacific coast salmon farms. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2471 on: November 03, 2016, 04:47:21 AM »

No.
When was the last time a private members' bill was recognized?  Name an MP that would vote to put app. 5,000 people out of work?  Besides, I had some drying paint that needed watching.

Riddell will report the science; be assured of that.  He is as reputable as they come but I know you won't believe anyone that may possibly find no fault with Pacific coast salmon farms.
I hope you are right but when a group like, Pacific Salmon Foundation, Fraser Basin Council etc. gets funding from government that raises concerns what they will say at times.https://www.psf.ca/contributor/fisheries-and-oceans-canada.

And as I said the present government said at the debate, ocean located FF are fine. Is the report from Riddell going to say they are  a problem to wild salmon and the environment and go against what the Fisheries Minister is saying, time. will tell I guess.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #2472 on: November 03, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »

I hope you are right but when a group like, Pacific Salmon Foundation, Fraser Basin Council etc. gets funding from government that raises concerns what they will say at times.https://www.psf.ca/contributor/fisheries-and-oceans-canada.

And as I said the present government said at the debate, ocean located FF are fine. Is the report from Riddell going to say they are  a problem to wild salmon and the environment and go against what the Fisheries Minister is saying, time. will tell I guess.

ITs Funny how on this forum where there are mostly fresh water fishermen there a lot support fish farms. On a Salt Water forum that I frequent, all the fishermen there want to see salmon farms gone. I guess when you know or have herd of someone catching an Atlantic Salmon in the chuck its a different story (Sorry Dave no I don't have the science to back up this comment).

Harper decimated the whole department (was not just Harper but John Crachan and Paul Martin too being the economical liberals they were). He brought in the navigable waters act to streamline development at take small salmon streams out of DFO's hands. Now there is one guy in the Prince George office that approves all the development for BC. He just basically auto accepts the applications because like he has time to come down and visit the effected streams. (Sorry Dave I don't have links to the facts just what i have been told from a retired fish biologist). Since DFO stopped doing stream counts most of the current fishery officers don't even know half of the salmon bearing creeks in the lower mainland.

IF the science comes back that fish farms are good and have zero impact. The wild stocks (from climate change) and Hatchery (from Funding) will go the way of the dodo bird. You will have fish farms using the science in commercials touting the benefits of farm salmon. They will pay for high profile chefs to go on commercials stating how better they taste and sustainable they are.The general public will start looking at rec fishermen like they do hunters. The Government will give the industry the over site to third party company so the industry can manage themselves.   

The Federal Government would want nothing more then to see wild salmon go extinct, its been a thorn in their side years. From the Fish wars on the Fraser in the 1990's, to closing Laid law bar for garbage to having to deal with recreation fishermen throwing bouncing betties at First Nations.

Sorry for the no facts in the facts thread. Apparently I am too jaded being to close to these issues for to many years. Still I am happy tho that attest some people still care to have this discussion so thank you guys!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:28:06 AM by wildmanyeah »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2473 on: November 03, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »

It's good to get a slightly different perspective on this. Thanks for taking the time to speak your mind .  Fwiw, I agree with many of your comments and know the PG guy ... he is totally swamped.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2474 on: November 03, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

No.

And there lies the crux- It's a big country with 2 ocean coasts, and I can honestly say the eastern region is a total flipping mess. (and I don't buy into the western feedlots are holy and sacred)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 04:21:08 PM by Novabonker »
http://