Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vacation information and advice.  (Read 7671 times)

banx

vacation information and advice.
« on: January 10, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »

hey guys. I've been trolling this site for a few years since moving to vancouver.  It's helped me out, but I haven't had anytyhing important or relevant to post. 

however, now i do.

so I'm goin to ambergis caye in belize and renting an apartment with the wife for 10 days end of april beginning of may.......  I'm bringing my 8wt and 4wt fly rods. mine and the wifes small spin casting rods as well as my 8'6 hmx and abu 6500.

I have spoken to my host who also happens to be a guide,  he says that I will need to work on my fly casting.  Now heres the thing.  I don't REALLY fly fish.  I bring my rods out with me when i go use my gear and when the salmon stop biting I throw out a small fly and try for trout.

I can probably only cast 20 to 30 feet with fairly decent accuracy.  He says I will need to cast 70 to 80 feet if I want to  be consistently successful.

I know some of you will say well why don't you go practice.... and well I need more than intro advice. practicing doing this wrong for hours on end does not lead to progress..... I need a class.  I see several shops offer courses.  But i'm looking for a personal recommendation.  I'm not a noob per se,  but an intermediate class or something along those lines.

also has anyone here gone to belize?

I've spent a few hours researching online but it's all forums. and everyones an expert on the internet.  I have enough gear and tackle, but no flies.

would there be someone willing to tie me a bunch of flies? (at a price of course)

Gotchas, Christmas Island Special, Small crabs, Brown and also Orange cockroach patterns with some EP fibers to spice things up
Rubber legged Gotcha’s  and shrimp patterns.  apparantly those are what I will need.

so, suggestions? advice? recommendations? concerns? warnings?

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: vacation information and advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »

I know the guys at pacific Angler do warm water stuff.

good luck. sounds like an amazing trip to come. :)

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »

Getting some sort of instruction is a great idea.  M&Y would be a good shop to go to.  Also make sure you get some instruction/practice in the wind as more than likely you will encounter all types of weather conditions.  I'm not sure I would take the 4wt with me because even the smallest bonefish would require at least a 7wt.

The goalie that plays for my hockey team, regularily takes his family to Roatan in Honduras to go fly fishing.  Yes, distance and accuracy can be very important but sometimes the fish are so close and plentiful that it doesn't matter too much.

chief

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »

Suggest you contact Cory up in Smithers at Webflyz.com . He made up a very good selection of flies for me for bonefishing trip to Kauai last May. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
If you want flies "of the shelf" take a look at flyfishusa.com . Good selection ,info  and service.

Burkie

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:59:21 PM »

Warm water fishing you would need to be able to be a decent caster lots of wind to contend with and accuracy a must,need good equipment, cheap rods and reels will not cut it. Warm water species rip line off your reel into your backing in seconds ..also don't forget to dress properly or you can get some major sun burns. When I am fishing warm waters I am totally covered up even my hands

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 10:59:13 PM »

If you are trying for bonefish your guide friend is giving you good advice. Best thing is to get a fly rod set up with the line you will be using for the fishing trip, and to see if one of the fly shops in the lower mainland can give you some tips and pointers for you to work on before the trip. I imagine you will be fishing the flats, and you have to be able to lay out the line quickly and accurately from what I have heard to have any success with minimal false casting. 

banx

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:53 AM »

thanks for the information gentlemen.  I'm on my way to the vedder this morning for some steelhead fun.  but on my way back I will pay a visit to michael and young on broadway.  just a few mins from my home..... see what their course schedule is like.

i will be leaving the 4 wt at home. and focusing on using my 8 wt properly. 

thanks for the webflyz link as well.

anything else i should consider? I've had mother nature kick my butt in cancun once already, so i will be rocking spf 50 and a hat, shades and most likely a long sleeve t..... and yes mostly fishing the flats.  we discussed tarpon fishing, but I'm more keen on the smaller fish at least to eat.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:55:07 AM by banx »

cohojoe

caribeann flies for your vacation information and advice.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »

Are you gone yet ?

I have an assortment of Umpqua salt water caribeann type flies.  No crabs ,  just  peacocks  and  jungle herls,  on  professional saltwater grade hooks.

However these are quite big flies.   I am not sure if your  8 wt  can get them out  .

Unless you use a very short  20 or heavier pound  tippet  with a  clear water line.

Check with me before you go  and we can  hook you up with a few.

$ 4  each.    If they do not work and you bring them back unused I will give you your money back  assuming I can  re sell them.

Jeff   778 772 8348

banx

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 08:32:09 AM »

cohojoe, thanks I will contact you before I leave. which is apr 24th. I also have a friend tying me a few.  But i have a feeling having flies available are like condoms. rather have em and not need them then need them and not have em.

that being said I've been out praticing casting with the 8 wt. much different feel than my 4wt thats for sure. I 'should' be attending the class at pacific angler at the end of the month. theres a few seats open.

getting pretty excited and have seen enough youtube videos on fishing the flats that I think i'm prepared.  I'm looking forward to chucking some gear as well and have spent the time teaching my wife the art of casting a level wind without getting a rats nest. 

i know this may sound like a silly question. but maybe the gents/ladies that have fished warm water can explain why these fish that are 'smaller' require such heavy gear? not trying to sound completely ignorant but it 'sounds' as if 'warm water' fish of a same weight to a salmonoid/trout/char are stronger?  is it more running room? battling currents? the temp of the water allows them to be more explosive?

banx

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 09:58:40 AM »

you know ladies and gentlemen, with 400 some odd views i'm sure there would be one of you willing to enlighten me.

or am i just going to have to watch all the repeats of "fishing the flats" i have on my pvr?

;D

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 10:11:50 AM »

you know ladies and gentlemen, with 400 some odd views i'm sure there would be one of you willing to enlighten me.

or am i just going to have to watch all the repeats of "fishing the flats" i have on my pvr?

;D
I'm sure everyone else is also interested in the answer. Would you like me to invent something (since I have never been)?
If someone had info I'm sure they would share.

banx

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »

well i was asking why the bigger gear for smaller fish.

I was under the impression that you might not  need to have travelled somewhere similar to know why this is so.  just seems to be a knowledgable group here, and  my original questions were brilliantly answered. it's why I fired off the last set of questions.

not trying to be a dick.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

i know this may sound like a silly question. but maybe the gents/ladies that have fished warm water can explain why these fish that are 'smaller' require such heavy gear? not trying to sound completely ignorant but it 'sounds' as if 'warm water' fish of a same weight to a salmonoid/trout/char are stronger?  is it more running room? battling currents? the temp of the water allows them to be more explosive?

The short answer is these fish (bonefish, permit, mackerel, etc) are built for speed.  It is evolution.  As a shallow water fish they need to be fast to avoid predators, especially in the crystal clear waters it lives in.  So it is also location.  If you have ever hooked a coho or spring in shallow water on a beach, you will know the reel screaming runs it can let out are very different than those you get in deep water further off the coast.  Without the ability to dive, the fish runs headlong away from the boat and you had better have the backbone to turn it back.  And bonefish can grown to 20 pounds, so they are not always "smaller" although the average is in the 5 pound range.
Not all those who wander are lost

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »

If you're chuckin big flies you need a big rod.

banx

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »

thanks. thats the answer i was looking for.  hope my 8wt will be up to the task as well as my 8' hmx baitcaster.

and yes i love the screaming runs of a spring or coho hooked in shallow water.  almost gives me goose bumps.  :)