Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips for Fly Fishing Small Rivers  (Read 7551 times)

Shmoke Shaman

Tips for Fly Fishing Small Rivers
« on: October 23, 2011, 01:45:25 PM »

I am just starting to learn how to fly fish and decided to start out at the Coquitlam River since its near to my home.
Was wondering if there are any experienced anglers who have fished in this river that might have a few tips or tricks for me?
I am not asking for you to name spots or locations, just tips or info about the river.
For example what to look for in a nice place to cast, types of flies for coho? trout? what type of fly line and what to look out for at the river.

The regulations for the river I believe its 4 trout 30cm+, Coho Oct 01- Dec 31 1 hatchery fish per day. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not that I plan on catching the quota (prob wont catch anything with my skill), but just wanted to follow regulations.

much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:39:57 PM by DionJL »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Coquitlam River
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »

Actually, the daily quota of trout in Coquitlam River (and all other streams in Region 2, unless stated otherwise), is 2 hatchery marked trout per day.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 02:02:02 PM »

If you live by there why not visit your local tackle shop and ask the staff what they can recommend for flies etc. They would be able to help you in that respect. For example sea run fly and tackle or riverside.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 04:06:19 PM »

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »

The Coquitlam is a tough river to fly fish as there are not too many places to get a cast in.  You are going to be roll casting muddlers or wolly buggers  under trees for the most part and will likely lose a few flies in process.  Under the bridges are a few open spots with a bit of depth, but other than that you are going to have to hike a bit to find a spot or two.  Once you find them, you had better not post about it here or Dion will be all over you. ;)
Not all those who wander are lost

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Tips for Fly Fishing Small Rivers
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 12:20:52 PM »

One good thing about Coquitlam R. is there is an extensive trail network (below David) along the river which you can walk and explore (Coquitlam R park a good starting point).  A 9' 6~7 weight fly rod would work well. 

Fly pattern rolled muddler, x'mas tree would work.

Coquitlam R. has been cursed with siltation problem (hopefully with new diversion of water course planned around gravel pit up river this problem would finally be fixed) the river bed tends to be slippery.  So be very careful when you are out there.

ps.  All rivers are to be respected and cared for.  Don't be like some, who thinks less of other rivers.  AND do stop by one of the Coquitlam R. watershed hatcheries to make a donation if you can  :)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
Re: Tips for Fly Fishing Small Rivers
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:56:58 PM »

I fished the Coq often when I lived in Poco. Developed most of my salmon patterns and techniques there. Stealth and casting accuracy (with either hand) are two of your best assets. The best trout producers for me were Zulu and Double Hackled Peacock.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"