Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: traileer hooks for intruders  (Read 3426 times)

square tail

traileer hooks for intruders
« on: January 26, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »

looking for wire to attach trailer hooks not to shure what to get what is the most popular out there or used  thanks for the help
the tug is the drug

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Re: traileer hooks for intruders
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »

Most trailer hooks are attached by Fire line (Or something close to it)

I use 60-80lb fire line, I have tried 40lb but found that the hooks did not stay behind the fly correctly. The 80lb is the best IMO because it is still small enough to use, but will stay behind the fly properly without sagging.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:48:54 PM »

I was stealing power-pro off my sturgeon set-up for stinger hooks, like Rick said, the heavier gauge is nice to keep the hook where it belongs.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:00:50 PM »

I agree with using the heavier the better for fireline. dont use Tuffline because its to limp and the hook will hang under the fly usually getting tangled in the feather  >:(

Im going to start using Slickshooter running line for mine because i have seen others using it and it looks stiff enough to keep the hook where it should be. Its also only 10bucks for like 120feet of the stuff. that much will last a few years for most tyers.

the other alternative is switching to tying on tubes, I have some patterns on tubes and really like them. but again the long feathers sometimes tangle the hook but not nearly as much as it would on a dangly trailer hook.

If you still want to use wire i think you will want something like what they use for wire leaders because its soft yet stiff
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »

I prefer mono 17-20lb test, and I tie it up in furled style:

It is very stiff and very strong. See J-Rig description for details.
http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/articulation.html

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »

Well I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one and say I prefer using a limper line for stingers, for exactly the reasons mentioned.  I think as long as your stinger length is correct you simply wont have issues with it.  Add a tiny bead and use a colored hook and you have something that articulates and adds another level of attraction, too.

In addition to that, a stiffer line is not as good as a supple line when the fight is on because the fish can lever against it; with a supple line the fish has no such leverage.  This assumes you're using a short shank hook for the stinger (which is usually the case).

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 04:46:50 PM »

I use 30 lb fireline....you dont need the hook to follow straight behind, I prefer the hook to dangle or hang . I have caught more than my share of fly caught steelhead on shanks/intruders  and the hook hanging is the last thing you need to worry about.

besides 30 lb will fit through the eye of a size 4 owner......just a little hint

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »

besides 30 lb will fit through the eye of a size 4 owner......just a little hint

Yup great point there too.  I use #4 red gamakatsus, works beautifully.

Case in point, went out today, 4 nice bulls and not a single stinger problem on the floppiest of stinger hooks imaginable :)