Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tube fly arbor  (Read 2149 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Tube fly arbor
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »

When you tie a tube fly you need an arbor.   Did you improvise or lay out the bucks for a commercial gadget?

typhoon

• Old Timer
Re: Tube fly arbor
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »

I use a a long allen wrench (short end to the head of the fly). I don't remember the size.
The right size fits nicely in my tubes (plastic Q-Tips).
Correct positioning keeps the tube from spinning on the key, and since it isn't round the allen wrench is gripped perfectly in my vise.

I have had the plastic Q-Tips break while fishing, leaving two halves of the tube hanging by thread/materials, but that has nothing to do with the tying contraption I use.

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
Re: Tube fly arbor
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

it will depend a little on your vise. some have a tube adapter just for their vise. pacific angler has a good selection of adapters that will work in any vise. that being said some are nicer then others , talk to the guys to find out the pros and cons of them.

as far as the tubes go i like aluminum but i also tie on plastic tubes but i buy the real tubes from the shops 3/32. i make sure i do a really good thread wrap around it if i m putting on dumbbells, because they can still break.

if you are using rhea and polar bear hair you want to make sure they will last for some time so i would not use q tips, maybe for pinks?
girls suck throw rocks at them!