Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout beads  (Read 17251 times)

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
Re: Trout beads
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 11:34:13 PM »

In my opinion, I am flyfishing.  I am fly casting, using a fly-line on a fly rod.  Not 100% sure, but I think to fish the described way is just fine on the parts of the vedder when it is classified as fly only. 

I am not going to debate personal views, but so the folks reading this and yourself don't get into trouble let me show you the regs. And be aware it is not an ok method to use when the river goes to fly fishing only. Please read it carefully and understand that ignorance to the law is not an excuse.

Below Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery cutthroat
release, May 1-31;

fly fishing … angling with a line to which only
an artificial fly is attached (floats, sinkers,
or attracting devices may not be attached
to the line when fishing is restricted to "fly
fishing only”.

This is written to help you understand not to start any debates. I do like the idea of a lip hook instead of a possibly fatal gut hook. But best intentions still have to abide.

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 06:47:36 AM »

Thanks for the info.

patagonia

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 10:06:09 PM »

If you use the system I use its fine.... trout bead on a hook that has pre-tied wisp of white marabou, ive talked to CO's and this is fine for fly fishing... as long as your not using scented eggs... otherwise, all those using beadhead nymphs and bead chronis are towing the same line

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »

Very true patagonia, because you've put the bead on the hook.

magwart

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:08 AM »

whats the best colour bead.?

M.O.A.L.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »

If you use the system I use its fine.... trout bead on a hook that has pre-tied wisp of white marabou,

Hey patagonia do you melt the bead on the hook like the ones I did below and then tie on the wisp of marabou?  I've never done the marbou bit before.

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 09:50:54 PM »

whats the best colour bead.?

If you get the name brand "Trout beads", You'll see that there is a huge amount of colors and that they are intended to match what the eggs would actually look like in the system at that time of the year.  troutbeads.com has it all, very informative.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »

Berry's bait and tackle stocks them.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:57:58 AM by Steelhead King »

patagonia

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 02:07:56 AM »

Ive never tried melting them on, sounds like a good idea, I had to force the bead around the bend of the hook, took some trial and error to find the bead /hook combo that would work, melting sounds like a better option. A skirt of white or peach marabou is great for adding some action to the bead.

M.O.A.L.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »

Ive never tried melting them on. A skirt of white or peach marabou is great for adding some action to the bead.

I'll have to try some with the marabou when my beads get here.  And when you say "skirt" of marabou, you mean like 2-3 or less of the little plumes?
As for melting them on it's nice and easy just heat the eye of the hook up slowly till it glows red then push it through the hole they already have.  Then set it aside on a cork or whatever and let it cool (or you can put it in cold water).  If you use a small enough hook skip this step and gone on to this one:
Once you've done this you'll notice that there is a gaping hole on either end to get rid of this use some pliers and hold the hook with them.  Very slowly and carefully hold the end with the hole towards a candle (or some other flame) and watch closely so that you don't catch the bead on fire (did that a few times!).  The hole will melt over forming a nice bead, do the same to the tag/rear end hole and presto -melted bead on hook.  I usually use nymph or egg hooks but for the one's in the photo I was all out at the time.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 09:42:29 AM by M.O.A.L. »

fullahead

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »

I always been curious, have you ever used a fly with a drift rod? I have been fishing with jigs this year, with success. Why couldn’t a guy fish a steelhead fly under a float?   

M.O.A.L.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2009, 11:25:25 PM »

I always been curious, have you ever used a fly with a drift rod? I have been fishing with jigs this year, with success. Why couldn’t a guy fish a steelhead fly under a float?   

I haven't done it for steelhead but I have done it with decent success for Coho and Chum.  I'll start off with my normal gear but if the fish are there and don't seem to be taking much I'll switch up to all sorts of things.  Flies being up there on that list.
One particular day on the Campbell in Novermber the Coho weren't taking any egg patterns and/or wools.  An old timer switched up to a minnow pattern and caught 3 fish in 5 or 6 casts.  Sometimes I'm a slow learner but the second fish was all the convincing I needed.  Worked pretty good, I didn't even use the same colors as him just a similar profile.  So yea you can drift or float flies with success for other fish.

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »

Back in the day when I fished gear I used to catch almost all my fish on flies under the float. I did better with them than goo, yarn, and single eggs put together. A big part of why I went fly only really.

As for it not being "fly fishing" I would have a few reservations about that moniker. Ever see them boatmen patterns that are basically a piece of Styrofoam and you colour them with markers? Yup, a fly.
What about gummy minnows? Yup, them's a fly too.
Flies these days a lot of the time are made up of artificial materials more than anything else.

For fly only systems the only thing that needs be done is get rid of the float/shot and stick the egg on the hook. In many ways the trout beads can out last Jensen eggs as they never go milky. ;)

Now with all that being said I chose to leave them on the shelf. They simply aren't "fly enough" for my liking and I use stuff called Egg Foo Yarn. This stuff makes quick easy painless egg patterns with no muss or fuss.

Not a judgement call or ethics department baloney just my preference. :)
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.