Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trout beads  (Read 17250 times)

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
Trout beads
« on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:12 PM »

I started regularly fishing trout beads below an indicator on local flows and have been doing well.  Wondering what kind of success has been had while hunting steelhead.  These little beads are just a lot simpler the most gawdy flies/lures used trick steelhead. Do most people fish them on a simple rig like I've been doing for trout?  Does adding scent has any effect? Any little tricks of the trade?

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
Re: Trout beads
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »

for winter runs the water is cold, the fish are lethargic. so you got to get down.way down. so for the most part it is sinktips and big bugs for this cowboy. unless the water you were fishing is really tanky and slow you would be hard pressed to get your bead down.

:)
girls suck throw rocks at them!

M.O.A.L.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »

Hey I had just ordered some of those right after Christmas cause I've always wanted to give them a try.  Do you rig them 1-2" up from the hook using the line looped through the bead twice method?  How does that work for you?
Oh and what kind of fish have you been catching with them so far?
I hadn't made up my mind if I was going to fish them as is or use them as beads on my leech flies.

fish2much

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 07:03:49 AM »

When I am fishing troutbeads I fish a single bead sliding freely above my hook with 3-4 split shots on my leader starting at about 12" from my hook and then every 8" or so to give my leader the most drag free drift possible.  I will adjust my indicator until I know that my presentation is just barely above the bottom. 
I've hooked Rainbows, cutts, and dollies/bulls using this method.  When I first tried I was scepticle, but this method produces a lot of fish.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 09:56:10 AM »

Shouldn't this be in the general section  ;)

fish2much

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:12:28 PM »

We're talking a method of fly fishing

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 04:17:28 PM »

A tongue in cheek comment, because you are using a bobber, split shot, a synthetic bead, with a bare hook. Sounded like gear fishing to me  ??? So where's the fly in this fly fishing?

M.O.A.L.

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 04:53:43 PM »

Ah well you see it's all about the rod...  ::)

fish2much

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »

well said

patagonia

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »

Ive used trout beads with success for trout during sockeye runs.... fished the same way, if rig you them above the hook you risk less fish deep hooking themselves, I usually pre-tie a glo-bug hook with a wisp of white or peach yarn then slide the bead on the leader... in terms of its its fly fishing or not... using a glo-bug is pretty similar to a gear guy using a yarn tie.... in my opinion if your using a fly rod and a bead its still flyfishing... but really who cares!

Chrome Mykiss

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »

I'm not about to get in to another debate of whether this method is or is not fly fishing  ::) I haven't hooked any steelies with trout beads yet, however I have caught plenty of rainbow, cutthroat, whitefish and bull trout with them. On small rivers I can see the benefits of using trout beads for steelies (pocket water, small seams, riffles). I'd rig them the same, pegged on the leader, but beef up the hook (gauge of steel, not size) and tippet. I do not like the looped through twice method with the trout beads, because I feel that it places an extra stress point on the tippet. I also favour the concentrated weight rig over the spreaded out weight rig, because its gets down right away. I have been using the Gamakatsu C14S and Daiichi 1650 hooks as of late, which should be plenty strong for steelies ;) 

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »

in my opinion if your using a fly rod and a bead its still flyfishing... but really who cares!

Try and use the set-up on a fly only system and find out. Your opinion won't matter.

Wasn't trying to start any debates, just thought it funny to be considering multiple split shot, with bare hooks being called fly fishing. There is no fly. Call it fishing, of course, legal on an open water, no doubt, ethical trying not to gut hook them , even more so,  but if there is no fly how is it fly fishing?

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:56:10 PM »

in my opinion if your using a fly rod and a bead its still flyfishing... but really who cares!

Try and use the set-up on a fly only system and find out. Your opinion won't matter.

Wasn't trying to start any debates, just thought it funny to be considering multiple split shot, with bare hooks being called fly fishing. There is no fly. Call it fishing, of course, legal on an open water, no doubt, ethical trying not to gut hook them , even more so,  but if there is no fly how is it fly fishing?

EXACTLY!!!!

Its a method of fishing not fly fishing. Same with plastic eggs on hook is also not a fly. Just because your holding a fly rod with a fly reel it does not mean you are fly fishing. If you put a worm on the end of your hook is that still fly fishing? What about putting some roe on it? Jamie's point is valid and true.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

fish2much

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 09:49:43 PM »

In my opinion, I am flyfishing.  I am fly casting, using a fly-line on a fly rod.  Not 100% sure, but I think to fish the described way is just fine on the parts of the vedder when it is classified as fly only.  I understand that this method would not work on a system that is single barbless, fly only.
Furthermore, any takes on what this thread was orignally asking would still be appreciated

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 10:03:02 PM »

During the fly only season on the Vedder this would be pushing it. First of all, you are going to have to lose the split shot, as no external weights on your line are allowed. I am sure if you are checked by a C.O. he is going to carefully scrutinize your setup, because aside from the bead,  you are fishing with a bare hook. To avoid all this scrutiny during the fly only season, why not just use a fish egg imitation such as a glow bug on a sink tip.