Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rio Nymph line  (Read 10011 times)

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Rio Nymph line
« on: March 23, 2007, 10:01:36 AM »

Well I have just bought the new rio nymph line and I can not wait to get it out on the lake. Put in on my reel and have it here at work to cast in the gym and man does it cast nice. Really loads on the rod. Looks like I may have to go out on sunday. Any one else have this line and what do you think of it.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Geff_t

• Old Timer
Re: Rio Nymph line
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:03:31 AM »

Sorry I just realized where I posted it. Should of gone in the fly fishing. Rod can you please move this.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »

I was up looking for that line yesterday, I'm really intrigued with it as well, It should really load your line as I believe it is over a hundred foot line with a 60(?) foot head??? can you verify that for me? I'm looking at getting one as soon as I can find a spot that sells it.....Should be excellent for turning over indicators and split shot...

J.G.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 11:43:59 AM »

For indicator fishing I don't think any line compares to Airflo's 40+. It is basically a shooting head floating line. With a very short head it quickly and easily loads your rod while sending your indicator to the other side of the lake. I haven't cast Rio's nymph line. But would be wary of a "long head" line for turning over indicators. Sounds like S.A.'s Nymph line which is old technology.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 12:02:48 PM »

I was up looking for that line yesterday, I'm really intrigued with it as well, It should really load your line as I believe it is over a hundred foot line with a 60(?) foot head??? can you verify that for me? I'm looking at getting one as soon as I can find a spot that sells it.....Should be excellent for turning over indicators and split shot...

For the 5wt any ways the length is 90' with a 48' head length. The head is not all the same diametre. It is actually broken up into different lengths. The heaviest being at the front making it easier to cast indicators and weighted flies. This line has high floatation technology and has a high vis welded loop so if you don't want to fish with an indicator you don't have to and it makes for changing leaders alot easier. This line was actually recomended by someone on the canadian fly fishing team.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 02:03:29 PM »

For indicator fishing I don't think any line compares to Airflo's 40+. It is basically a shooting head floating line. With a very short head it quickly and easily loads your rod while sending your indicator to the other side of the lake. I haven't cast Rio's nymph line. But would be wary of a "long head" line for turning over indicators. Sounds like S.A.'s Nymph line which is old technology.

I looked at Rio's line and it is very similar to what flyguy got from S.A. Who sells airflow??? I have heard good things about their dry line as well but never see um...hmmm spending too much time in the valley and not enough in surrey maybe??? I will look up the nymph line on S.A. and see what it says exactly..

head length is 66.5' total length is 100'

Specialty Taper

Applications / features:

The perfectly balanced nymph line - now made with new Dry Tip Technology for fly fishing's ultimate floating fly line experience
Powerful front taper for longer casts with weighted nymphs
Easily turns over bigger flies, indicators, and shot
Better mending, stack mending, and roll casting
Ideal for nymphing in big water, especially when using single-hand spey casting techniques
Two-tone color helps you know when to recast
New orange indicator tip helps detect strikes
Taper characteristics:

More powerful front taper turns over weighted-flies, split-shot, and wind-resistant strike indicators
Extra-long compound tapered head improves line control, mending, and stack mending
Extra-long head length allows single-hand spey casting and overhead casting
Larger tip diameter, with Dry Tip Technology, for optimum floatation
High-floating for easier mending and better strike detection
Core
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:12:59 PM by Xgolfman »

fintail1

• got milt?
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »

a good place to try it out for 5 lb rainbows right now would be the birkenhead river by pembey, the fry have hatched and using a chum fry or egg and eye would work awsome for dollies and rainbows
Fishing is one jerk at one end of the line waiting for a jerk at the other

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »

I have heard alot of good things about the Airflo Delta and the 7000XT (their newest line) floating lines.  I was emailing recently with one of the developers of the Airflo lines in England and he recommended the Delta as the go to line when fishing indicators and long leaders.  He said the 40+ was a better river line.  I just got a bunch of them out of England but haven't had a chance to try them out. 

The Depthfinder 300 is the line that Weigh West uses for their salt water coho flyfishing and Sean (owner/operator) says they're great.

Daryl, from Reaction, told me he put the Airflo Tactical lines on all his lake reels.  it's the entry level line and he says he loves them. 

I sure like the idea of a 5 year warranty on them.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 03:33:21 PM »

Oh, and one more thing....Airflo has the lowest memory of all lines tested.

J.G.

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 08:40:51 PM »

40+ is an excellent river line also. I use it on the T casting huge stones and hoppers into the never ending wind. It also works miricales casting indicators.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »

Is the 40+ available over here?

J.G.

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 11:09:53 AM »

The 40+ is available in the U.S. Just call around and you should be able to find it. I imagine that kaufman's will stock it. But it may be closer to home for you to try Berry's in Richmond, or ask Darryl at Reaction, they have access to Airflo also.
The guy behind Airflo is to fly casting what Gretzky is to hockey.

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »

The 40+ is available in the U.S. Just call around and you should be able to find it. I imagine that kaufman's will stock it. But it may be closer to home for you to try Berry's in Richmond, or ask Darryl at Reaction, they have access to Airflo also.
The guy behind Airflo is to fly casting what Gretzky is to hockey.

Got it ordered from Darryl...should have it next week or so...

J.G.

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 05:45:29 PM »

The running line on the new 40+ is made of Ridge Line. I'm anxiously awaiting my samples. It should shoot even farther. ;D

J.G.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »

Remember to cast this line like a shooting head. Just a couple of false casts, and let her go !