Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas  (Read 25457 times)

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

Witnessed alot more illegal activity than previous year but did notice more CO presence. Only thing is when they arrive the offenders see them coming. The CO would be occupied questioning an angler and the culprits would quickly pack up and leave. I like the undercover CO idea. That way they can get close enough to the violators and hit them with tickets before they runaway into the bush.

Snaggers think they are getting wiser. When they foul hook a fish, they wouldn't even try to reel the fish in but walk down the run til there was nobody close enough to see. They think they are fooling everyone but Everyone knows what they are up to. Seen a lot more people doing it this season. If they are confronted they say the fish was wrapped in the line thats why it came in like that and the hook was in the mouth.

This isn't directed at the author of the original quote, but more a response to the overall sentiment that we need more enforcement.

I know one of the local officers and we've discussed the issue at great length. Consider this a little insight from the 'inside'

-As suggested, they already do employ undercover officers on a regular basis, typically they use one officer undercover to call in the offenses and have another to issue tickets so as to not blow their cover.

-Issuing tickets is a lot harder than most people would ever guess. A good day in terms of issuing tickets on the Stave of all places was 6 busts.

-For every day spent out in the field there is a day spent out of the field either in the office doing the paperwork or at court

-Enforcement of sportfishermen is only a small part of the job. They are also involved in things like monitoring the native beach seines, inspecting commercial fish plants as well as random call out such as pulling abandoned nets out of the river.

-DFO is a federal agency. Similar to the way RCMP operates, officers are stationed around the country and can be moved around. Imagine as a non local, trying to not only learn but then enforce our local fisheries. Use the RAPP line, just because there is a poaching problem that is obvious to you, doesn't necessarily mean that it is obvious to them.

-
Actions speak louder than words.

ralfish

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2012, 10:41:49 PM »

ok I'll play. Shooting from the hip and strictly my opinion (maybe tongue in cheek even)

1. Define what angling is: ie the intent of enticing a fish to bite your offering and take the hook inside its mouth.

2. Make wearing licences in a conspicuous way clearly visible on the angler mandatory. This accomplishes two things: peer related self policing and remote policing by enforcement authorities

3. If there is to be a sport harvest of sockeye on the Fraser, make it available by special harvest permit only in addition to the regular licence with a limit of ten fish per permit. Retained fish must be clearly marked on the visible face of the permit.  Make the harvest available only in designated areas on the river using specified methods, ie flossing may be ok (?) but restricted to designated areas only, ie on the Fraser river only or even further restricted. Other methods of sport fishing for harvest would be acceptable as well. Funds raised from the sale of special harvest permits would go to policing this sport harvest.

4. If the Chinook run is strong enough to support a sport harvest opportunity on the Fraser during a time when it is determined that there isn’t a strong enough return to support a sport sockeye harvest, there should be an opening allowed for the sport harvest of Chinook, using sport angling methods that are defined as sport angling and don’t intercept large numbers of unintended sockeye. ie bar fishing etc. There shall be no ‘flossing’ for Chinook.

5. Eliminate the use of bait from all wild C+R steelhead fisheries

6.  Monies raised from the sale of fishing licences need to stay in BC and FWFS needs to fund more anadromous salmonid projects. ie habitat restoration in the upper Squamish

7. All IPP projects pay into a fund an amount equal to the rate they are getting that is above the current open market electrical rates established at the time their Enegy Purchase Agreement is signed. This fund shall be used for habitat restoration and enhancement projects for anadromous salmonids etc.

Animal Chin

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2012, 12:57:34 AM »

- Much stiffer fines to pay for more enforcement
(maybe they should confiscate a car or two to make an example, feed the rumor mill anyway.. fishing overlimit or without a license is poaching right)

I don't understand how it can be hard to write a ticket, fishing licenses are all linked to drivers licenses. Getting payment is another story. I saw one CO at Rice Lake come and ticket some guys after he took some video of them on his iphone from the bushes... "oh so you weren't using this rod, it's just an extra.... gee sure looks like you in this video casting".

- shame works pretty good at compliance, post up pictures of offenders on website

The one steelhead limit is a very good one. I don't catch enough for it to be an issue anyway. Bait ban would be interesting as all the deep hooks/gill bleeding I've seen seems to be exclusively bait related. It would eliminate all the super bad releases I've seen because some cheap bastard thinks he absolutely has to have his hook back even though the fish is clearly hooked in the gills and already bleeding.

I don't catch that many fish, even with bait, and like "curing" the roe... so I'm kinda undecided about this one. I do see the principle though.  

I saw lots of people dragging fish over rocks, letting them flop around on the side of a gravel road and just generally really badly mishandled because they were:

a) too cheap to buy a net
b) didn't want to get their hands or clothes dirty or wet... real squeamish for grown men who fished
c) or too stupid to think of a more effective way to identify/deal with a fish.

I really enjoyed fishing in the lower mainland though. Given how close the Vedder is to a major metropolis I'm thankful for how it is now.. Vancouver isn't Terrace. It also seems only certain spots were really crowded. If I fished I certain spot, I wasn't surprised it was going to get crowded. Vedder is definitely more "competitive" fishing, but it is what it is...

The stocked lake fishing is really fun and think it's a great thing. I think the limit is fine. I don't know where the others are fishing, but there is no way people are pulling out ALL the stock in a few days. At least at Rice, after the first days being stocked, they smarten up pretty quick. I "try" to remember it's for the kids so give them room when need be...pretty funny how they get elbowed out when the bite is on though from the old timers.

Generally really enjoyed my second year fishing (first year salmon on Vedder). Didn't get into as many coho as I expected though, 6 wild to one hatchery but there's always next year. Surprised at the number of chum I caught in the city bar fishing with bait though.  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 02:23:52 AM by Animal Chin »

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2012, 01:15:24 AM »

I think DFO should reconsider the 'no more fishing rule' after a person retains a steelhead.

With the high price of gas, and the danger of fishing alone in winter for steelhead, perhaps DFO should remove...

Can you please elaborate?
I see no danger in fishing alone, especially not in the winter when the bears are hibernating.
What danger are you referring to?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2012, 02:04:15 AM »

Ralf has some very good points there.
Really like the one with the visible licence.
I keep hearing how licence sales are going down and find it very hard to believe when the amount of fisherman allmost double on a yearly basis.
Ralfs suggestion would put an end to the non payers in a hurry.

The one thing i would like to see improved is boat launches and access to the Fraser River.
I wouldnt stop there either as we could use more out on the ocean as well.
The Fraser would have many more launches with marine parks etc. if it were in Washington or Oregon.
Is like our government doesnt want us out there using our resources.

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2012, 06:19:23 AM »

Really like the idea of visible licences.
Would like a fishing limit per annum imposed on Coho with a requirement to record on licence.
Same forSockeye.I appreciate the licences might get a bit ponderous but a way around this could be found.
Lastly and I can here the rancour already a reduction in the Chilliwack River limits to 2 per day.
Riverman

JPW

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2012, 09:15:58 AM »

- Lower limits for urban lake fisheries to 2.  Take a kid fishing and you each get 2, that's plenty for a meal (if you like purina trout chow...).
- Outfit COs with video cameras (gopro, vholdr, etc are cheap), it would allow multiple offenders to be caught on film for ticketing and help secure more prosecutions.
- Bait ban on any body of water than has non-retention species.  It seems hypocritical to have all these single-barbless regulations, but then still be able to use bait.  I wonder if there are any post release mortality stats for barbed hook vs. bait...

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2012, 09:39:58 AM »

Can you please elaborate?
I see no danger in fishing alone, especially not in the winter when the bears are hibernating.
What danger are you referring to?

Really, Milo?  You don't think you're increasing your risk factor by fishing alone?!? 

Fishing alone is always more dangerous.  Whether it's breaking an ankle and having to get out alone, or slipping in the water and not having someone there to help drag you out, or any other of the multitude of scenarios that become more dangerous when you're solo.

Not sure if I'm just missing your sarcasm somehow.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »

I like the idea of an annual limit of sockeye per license year.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »

Really, Milo?  You don't think you're increasing your risk factor by fishing alone?!? 

Fishing alone is always more dangerous.  Whether it's breaking an ankle and having to get out alone, or slipping in the water and not having someone there to help drag you out, or any other of the multitude of scenarios that become more dangerous when you're solo.

Not sure if I'm just missing your sarcasm somehow.
I am also not concerned about fishing alone - the risks may be greater, but still too low to worry about. Greatest risk would come from another harm from another human, but that isn't fishing related.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »

I agree, as long as you are smart about not wading to deep or just perceptive enough to know what not to do, fishing alone isn't that dangerous. Use common sense and all's well.

I fish alone except for the odd time my father joins me. I just don't know anyone else to fish with or that wants to share their golden spots with me  ::)
so I walk alone.

Tight lines to all

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2012, 01:35:11 PM »

I am also not concerned about fishing alone - the risks may be greater, but still too low to worry about. Greatest risk would come from another harm from another human, but that isn't fishing related.

Last year I fell into the river on three separate occaisions.

The year before I had a really bad fall on the Chehalis that kept me off my feet for close to 4 months. I would have not been able to make it out unassisted.

So yeah...no risks fishing alone.  ::)  Not to say I don't do it, but if I'm going to an isolated area I always let someone know where I'm going to be.
Actions speak louder than words.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »

I agree, as long as you are smart about not wading to deep or just perceptive enough to know what not to do, fishing alone isn't that dangerous. Use common sense and all's well.

I fish alone except for the odd time my father joins me. I just don't know anyone else to fish with or that wants to share their golden spots with me  ::)
so I walk alone.

Me too! I prefer solo as well when walking the banks of the Vedd searching for steel. Nobody i know can keep up with the miles and miles i cover in a day. ;)

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2012, 02:32:32 PM »

You guys are being silly.  I'm not saying NOT to fish alone, but Milo said he didn't understand why fishing alone could be dangerous.  Fishing ITSELF is inherently a somewhat risky activity (as are most activities that are outdoor and/or water related), and doing it ALONE makes it MORE dangerous.  That is fairly obvious I would have thought.

I'm not saying I don't fish alone - I fish alone often!  I'm just saying it's a calculated risk and one that carries inherently MORE risk than fishing with a partner would entail.

Tex

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2012, 02:54:45 PM »

Last year I fell into the river on three separate occaisions.

The year before I had a really bad fall on the Chehalis that kept me off my feet for close to 4 months. I would have not been able to make it out unassisted.

So yeah...no risks fishing alone.  ::)  Not to say I don't do it, but if I'm going to an isolated area I always let someone know where I'm going to be.

ALWAYS let people know where you are going to be is great piece of advise. Also letting them know if you are in or out of cell range and aprox time of return. Fishing alone is very enjoyable but riskier.

if it could be imaged it could happen no matter how far fetched...