Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pike!  (Read 2667 times)

purplehelmet

Pike!
« on: June 27, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »

Going to Kenora ON next week & will take fly rods.  Gonna try to use them for the species in Lake of the Woods & around.  Anyone tried this sort of stuff?  The fly-action for Pike on Youtube looks spectacular!!!!
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
Re: Pike!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 04:24:15 PM »

Remember you steel leaders.
Take the T out of Morton.

Pat AV

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »

I have had good success with large deer hair frogs in green and chartruse on top and big bunny leaches fished wet, just row along the shore line and fish structure hard. This was in May/June though. Might be down a bit deeper now.
Like STS pics? Check out my gallery at http://gallery.flybc.ca/patav

purplehelmet

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »

Thanks!

purplehelmet

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »

I went without flies, no time to tie any, thinking I could buy some--wrong!  Seemingly no one fly fishes there.  Even the big Cabela's store in Vermillion Bay had no fly fishing stuff.  Long story short, after much successful Walleye fishing on Lake of the Woods, I managed to get someone to troll the shore line.  I caught 2 Bass by casting REAL Leeches on a bare hook (yeah, they didn’t stay on too long)!  Good fighters, but I was using a 9wt in case I hit a big Pike or Musky.  Later, I fished Winnipeg river on foot, but w/ no real flies had to resort to a crank bait on spinning gear—lost one big Pike & had another follow my lure to my feet—that got my heart pumping.  If I go back I’ll take tons of flies & maybe try some smaller lakes in the area.  Weather was great though…

Duffs

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 11:12:01 AM »

I can't remember the exact season, but I once used mouse patterns and it was a blast.  We were sight fishing in the weeds... when you see a fish decide to follow the mouse, things get very exciting.  They can sometimes follow it for the entire strip, speeding up almost instantly towards the end.  The takes are vicious.  Makes you feel sorry for real mice.  A good skill to have here in BC, too, since northern bull trout will go after them as well.  The best presentation is in rivers where a riffle hitch swing across current will make the mouse pattern really wiggle.  It's almost too life-like!

purplehelmet

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 11:10:04 PM »

I forgot to reply to this... sweet is all I can say--thanks for the input ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:13:54 PM by Rodney »