Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishin CUBA?!?  (Read 3821 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Fishin CUBA?!?
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:00:50 AM »

Wife and I are thinking about Cuba next year for vacay..... anyone been there and fished?  Part of MY vacay includes fishing LOL  Looking for beach fishing primarily, maybe if the price is right, I'll do a day deep sea.  We're thinking Veradero at the moment but any where's possible....

My question is, can anyone share experiences (good or bad) on locations and/or hotels (all inclusive, of course!)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 11:56:36 AM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

TheChumWhisperer

Re: Fishin CUBA?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 06:35:27 PM »

I have been to Cuba twice over the past two years, and fished both times.  First time was in Playa Cayo Santa Maria, which is just outside Veradero, and the second time was in Sol Cayo Coco. Most beach resorts will offer their guests some form of fishing adventures, it all depends on how much you want to spend.

IMO, beach fishing is your best option.  The resorts really gouge the clients when it comes to fishing adventures. A full day excursion usually costs between $270-350 CUC per day.  I know that the CUC is not going to be used for much longer, however for now, with exchange rates the way they are, its quite pricey to hire the guides at the resorts. 

The first year I went, in Playa Cayo Santa Maria, excellent resort by the way, I made the mistake of bringing none of my own fishing gear with me. The fishing equipment they have in Cuba is horrible, all of it is left behind for the locals by Canadian tourists.  It is impossible for them to purchase anything locally.  I made friends with the beach staff, and convinced them to take me out on the Hobby Cat catamaran for a couple hours.  Cost me $70 CUC for 2 hours, I hooked a big Baracuda, lost it while trying to land it, and landed a big Grouper.  However I was on a small sail boat with a local who didn't speak a word of English, kinda awkward, but still a good time.  Awesome experience. 

The second time, in Sol Cayo Coco, was a bad resort, wouldn't recommend going to that part of Cuba.  It's only a 15 min drive from the airport, which is nice, but it's an old and run down part of Cuba.  All of the resorts in that part of Cuba were built in the early 90's, and now they are all run down and falling apart.  But the beaches in Cayo Coco are amazing and endless.  This time I brought some of my own spoons, spinners, line and hooks with me, and used them on the beaches.  I borrowed a rod and reel from the local beach staff, with the promise that i would leave behind all my gear when I left.  I would chuck metal on the beaches, with limited success.  Landed a couple small Needle fish, and a couple Jacks.  Nothing special, but still fun and worth the pictures.  I did watch a few locals land some big Barracuda off the beaches, just nothing for me.  Early mornings and late evenings were the most successful times of day..

If you and the wife are looking to party while in Cuba, I would recommend Veradero.  If you are looking to relax on a beach, I would go to Playa Cayo Santa Maria.  Bring all your own gear with you, and you won't be disappointed. The resorts may be cheap, but they do everything in their power to get every dollar from you while you are there.  Tipping the staff is optional, but a peso here and there to the beach staff, chamber maids and the bartenders goes a long way. 

Bring your own mugs, the small plastic cups they give you are a joke. 

Both times we traveled in October, which is the end of hurricane season there, so it's off season and quite a lot cheaper.  The resorts are basically empty, which is awesome.  Having the beach to yourself is amazing.  I couldn't imagine it during peak season, would be far too busy for my liking.  From December to June it's primarily Canadian travelers, in the off season it's mostly rude Europeans who want nothing to do with you.  Which was totally fine with me..

Sorry for the wall of text, just kept going.  Hope that helps..

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:45:36 PM by TheChumWhisperer »

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:53:21 PM »

Fish in Cojimar River mouth of Hvana, they're called "sniper?". I saw people cast lure without rod to fish them. I brought a set of #4 but unfortunatly I didn't take it with me that day.

No luck for me in Varadero.

tylerab47

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »

I was in Varadero in 2011.  Went with my step father and step brothers on a day trip deep sea fishing.  It was expensive, all tho i believe for all of us was no more than 100CUC each, excluding tip.  We had a great trip, fishing was slow, but they let us play around with the gear a bit.  Best part was the lunch they served up , and the good company they were - even with a lack of English.  Worst part of the trip was the diesel fumes/exhaust all day.  Saw some great scenery and had a good day on the water overall.

I have since been told that next time bring a heavy spinning setup suitable for saltwater, with an assortment of spoons and tackle.  Then rent or hire a local to take you out on the hobi cats.  Cheaper and can be quite the awesome experience from what I was told.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:09:40 PM »

Thanks guys - fishing doesn't sound as good as some other all-inclusive locations.... have to work on the wife for locations LOL

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »

There is supposed to be some fantastic bone fishing on the island but I can't remember where.

I saw some posts on TripAdvisor and Youtube.

Looks like Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and San Lazaro are popular.
I think there are all on the main peninsula on the north side of the island..

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 09:03:20 AM »

Contact Pacific Angler or Searun.
Some of there guys know the territory.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »

Thanks, FOCB - will do!

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »

I had some bonefish success in the far south, spent a few hours casting around the bay of pigs.

You most likely will not ever go anywhere near that area though.

I like to live dangerously.

mcallagan

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »

Just came back from Cayo Coco on Mar. 16th. :-X
Took my fly rod and some gear.
Tried a few times to fish from the beach but the winds were really strong but warm.
Talked to some of the employees in the resort and they all said that mid March was always windy - wrong time of year for beach fly fishing.
Saw a local going for small fish and getting them 1 after another with bait.
Cayo Coco is excellent for a vacation ..IMO
Our resort, Melais Jardines del Rey, had only been open since Jan. 3, 2015 and was still building for total opening this May.
Left a bunch of hooks, line and tackle with the much appreciated of the gestured staff.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 09:46:00 PM »

Great info thanks!