Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to fish for steel head questions  (Read 6684 times)

Piranha

Re: How to fish for steel head questions
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 03:44:43 PM »

HOw much would a class like that cost me?

Also I was gonna go fishing today but it's raining. When would be the best day to go fishing? Fish don't really like fast flowing water and wait for the rain water to recede, right? so i'm guessing monday but the water might be still too high. What do you guys think?
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/pages/CABC0308.htm
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 04:50:55 PM by Piranha »

allwaysfishin

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 04:26:51 PM »

rodney is going to post a course outline once i have it ready for him. but here is a brief review.
My course is 100.00 for the day.
this is not a guided excursion, the intent is to teach anglers the basics of reading water, terminal tackle and rigging, what to use and when and general steelhead knowledge. Topics covered also include short floating, bait choices and how to rig bait, and i go in depth into fishing with blades and other artificials. I include many tips and pointers for organizing your vest and such to minimize downtime and maximize the time that your hook is in the water. I have had many folks take my classes and everyone so far has come away feeling that they have learned something and gained confidence.
classes run 8am to 4pm with a 1 hour break for lunch and questions/discussion amongst the group.
right now i run them on my days off which are tuesdays and wednesdays.... which i find better for a class like this due to it being less busy on the river. I do however make arrangements for weekend classes when need be.
feel free to email or pm me with any questions, I can also be reached at Steveston Marine, Vancouver location at west 3rd and Fir st.
tom@stevestonmarine.com

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 04:38:12 PM »

When would be the best day to go fishing? Would it be monday because it's not supposed to rain. Or go on the 2nd day after it rains? Fish wait for higher water to move up stream so i'm guessing monday but the water might be still to high up. What do you guys think?

The best day to go fishing is any day you can go. Learn the river when it's low, medium, perfect and high. If you wait for the perfect water and weather conditions you won't be fishing much.

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 06:10:12 PM »

Hey CohoSlayer1 I think I was fishing near you on Thursday, were you with a bait caster, and your buddy a ceneter pin?

that was us, im with the pin

Piranha

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 08:32:05 PM »

How am I doing? my first attempt at this

egg loop. is this how wool is attached, about an inch off wool through the loop?

« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 08:34:23 PM by Piranha »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 08:42:56 PM »

Yup, cut the tag end off.

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:52 PM »

throw a roe bag under that or a glob of roe and you will deffantly get a steely

Piranha

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 10:12:41 PM »

Also I noticed that Giibbs floats come in different colours. Black, green, and white. Does the colour matter or is it just personal prefference?

Piranha

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 10:45:45 AM »

Here is a 6" pink worm. I used a sewing needle to thread the line through the worm. also used a red bead to prevent the hook from cutting into the worm.

looks good?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 11:08:29 AM by Piranha »

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »

looks great, but when fishing a worm, you want the tail to be dangling and moving all over the place, so just thread the hook a little higher next time. Other than that, looks pretty good ;)

Piranha

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2007, 11:50:16 AM »

low visibility

In high water like today what would work the best? Also with low visibility I want to have a short leader of about 2 feet?
-Add bigger bait
-High river, fish high in system?
-clear river will cause the fish to seek cover during the daylight hours and so will not move up river as rapidly
-Backtrolling in low visibility so the bait stays longer period of time in the strike zone
-Slowing down your bait allows the steelhead more opportunity to locate and intercept your offering?
-Fish edges meaning areas of current break, depth change, structure influence or light contrast (shading)

HIGH VISIBILITY

-Low river, fish low in system?
-this is the time for presentations at or near current speed
-Fishing at the speed of the current  allows you to cover the most water in the shortest period of time
-When the upriver areas begin to get a little stale as the water drops, look to the lower to middle river holes for fish
-Fish edges meaning areas of current break, depth change, structure influence or light contrast (shading)

Steelhead Holding Water

"The Riffle"
- The spot at the end of a rapid where the water is usually moving very fast over exposed or barely submerged rocks
- Steelhead will seek out the protection of the riffle usually in only a few select conditions. A good time to fish this section of water is when the sun is shining directly on the water.
- Steelhead will migrate to the riffle in warm water conditions,  10' degrees-plus, because this water usually holds more oxygen.

"The pool"
- Fish will usually not hold in the deep pools but rather at their edges in the slots made between back-eddies and the main current
- There are two exceptions when the fish may use pools.
First when the water is very cold, ie just above freezing, the pools tend to be a bit warmer and the fish will migrate to these warmer spots.
Conversely when the water is very warm, higher than 18' degrees, the pools may contain cooler water and the fish will seek out this cooler water.
-Finally, during very low water conditions, the pools may contain the only "overhead cover" available for the fish to hide

"The tail out or break"
- is the section of water that starts after the back end of a pool where the river bottom is beginning to rise and ends just before the next riffle or rapid. This is one of the primary locations in which to look for fish. Steelhead tend to hold mostly in the tail-out sections of the water during overcast conditions. They like to stop in this relatively calm water after negotiating a strong riffle or rapids.

Other river sections
- Most of the these places will not hold any fish. Rapids where the water is moving violently over rocks or through narrow chutes seldom hold any fish because of a lack of resting places. Long stretches of water that have a smooth water surface and are shallow, usually less than three feet, almost never hold fish - an exception would be if there is an obstruction, ie large boulder or log in this type of water, it would be well worth trying. Shallow and very slow moving water almost never provides adequate cover for the fish.

-Often steelhead can be found in tailouts early in the morning

Piranha

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »

Thats all I have learned, now I gotta take a break. haha
anybody has any other steelhead fishing tips to add to this?

the more the better \:)