Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: U- catch "fishing" farming/ponds  (Read 3743 times)

rezak

U- catch "fishing" farming/ponds
« on: June 23, 2015, 12:17:16 PM »

I know it's not real fishing but my young nephew and niece are visiting and I'd like to take them out "fishing" to introduce them to the sport.  I know of two of the u-caught trout farms.  Trout Creek Farm in Mission and  Silverbrook U-Catch Rainbow Trout in Abby.  Are there any others that people know of?  Actual fishing is out of the question 3 and 5 yr olds don't have the attention span to sit around to maybe catch something - at least these two don't.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: U- catch "fishing" farming/ponds
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 12:28:24 PM »

You should take them to the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery where they have two trout fishing ponds for kids to catch fish at. The visitor centre also has several aquariums where big trout, kokanee and sturgeon swim in, so it'd be an exciting field trip for them.

Call 604.504.4716 and ask the person on the phone about their drop-in program, which gives you 2 to 3 hours of fishing time at the ponds. Not sure about the cost, but I think it's $10/kid.

rezak

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:22:56 PM »

THanks Rod. I'll look into it. Sounds like a good outing

obie1fish

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 04:25:52 PM »

It's an awesome program. They are also on Groupon a lot, too.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 06:43:29 PM »

Exactly what Rod said, it's a great program. I can't wait to take my two boys.

rezak

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »

They're doing a free session on July 25 at Lafarge which is awesome since that's 15 mins from home.  Thanks guys

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »

They're doing a free session on July 25 at Lafarge which is awesome since that's 15 mins from home.  Thanks guys

One thing to note is that the Lafarge Lake or any other urban lake free sessions are more of a learn to fish/information session, you won't be catching many if any fish right now since water temperature is already so high and catchable stockings for this spring are now completed.

If you want your nephew to catch fish, definitely should head to the hatchery in Abbotsford. :)

rezak

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:20:43 PM »

One thing to note is that the Lafarge Lake or any other urban lake free sessions are more of a learn to fish/information session, you won't be catching many if any fish right now since water temperature is already so high and catchable stockings for this spring are now completed.

If you want your nephew to catch fish, definitely should head to the hatchery in Abbotsford. :)

Yes, I think we're going to make the trip this weekend.... .depending on the kids' moods.

hillbros_96

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 07:42:20 PM »

You should take them to the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery where they have two trout fishing ponds for kids to catch fish at. The visitor centre also has several aquariums where big trout, kokanee and sturgeon swim in, so it'd be an exciting field trip for them.

Call 604.504.4716 and ask the person on the phone about their drop-in program, which gives you 2 to 3 hours of fishing time at the ponds. Not sure about the cost, but I think it's $10/kid.

He fishing is great there for the kids.  Als a great place to have birthday parties.  We had one there several years ago and the neighbourhood kids are still talking about it.