Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fishing interior lakes  (Read 2183 times)

nevertoolate

fishing interior lakes
« on: June 20, 2015, 08:25:56 PM »

I have been trying the lakes around Kamloops all week with no luck at all.   Today I was at Lac La Jeune.  Fished from about 4 PM and concluded no fish in this lake.  As I returned to the launch site around 6 PM all kinds of fish jumping.  Had three strikes and managed to pull one in which I ate for supper.
my Conclusion:  around 6 pm is a good time to fish at Lac La Jeune.
Other thoughts?
LSH

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: fishing interior lakes
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 09:13:49 PM »

Without a better description i would guess there was  a chironomid hatch, maybe some sedges coming off and also maybe some mayflies.  If the sedges are coming off it explains a little of why it picked up later with fish jumping.

Timing has to do with the hatches and will change as the hatches vary in strength, timing, and species.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »

Sadly fishing the interior lakes is going to be tough from this point on. The water is really warming up meaning the fish will be going deep and not interested in too much. Best success will be just before sun up and late in the evening.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Robert_G

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 08:20:58 AM »

As already said, summer doldrums are much earlier than normal this year, and I would probably say the upcoming weekend is going to be tough as there is rumours of temps hitting close to 40 degrees in parts of interior.

That said, you can still catch fish.....you just need to change your tactics.

RRV

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 06:52:24 PM »

I just got back from fishing my favourite Kamloops area lake yesterday, and we had some good success fishing for Rainbows and Kokanee. The most successful technique was trolling hardware at depth with lead core line, but dragging a fly behind full sink line also paid off.