Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbel, Powel River, Vancouver Island, ...  (Read 1815 times)

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
Campbel, Powel River, Vancouver Island, ...
« on: July 23, 2006, 12:29:57 AM »

Hmm I am a bit confused where to go for the next long weekend. Would love to go somewhere where I can fish from shore for a salmon (freshwater preferably), it doesn't look like Vedder in October :) , and fishing is good or at least decent. Would you guys recommend any river, area, ... at the beginning of August? As you can see I do not mind going a bit further from Vancouver, and really longing for some nice fishing time out of the city for few days.

I would really appreciate even a direction to an area where this would be possible in August, eg, north of Campbell River, ...

Hope everybody has a good time this summer and fall fishing.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Campbel, Powel River, Vancouver Island, ...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 12:55:02 AM »

Hey Hiker, not a bad time to go up there. ;) Pink salmon should be showing up along the east coast of Vancouver Island (north of Courtney) anytime now, if they are not already there. The streams of northern section of the island have a pretty good pink run this year. You can fish on the beach for them, which is absolutely a blast if you are able to find a school of fish. When I did it many years ago, I remember seeing a dozen or so fish chasing after the lure until one grabbed it.

Discovery Pier in Campbell River should also be good, pier fishing is always a lot of fun. You should be able to catch some groundfish, as well as the odd salmon (even chinooks) if you are lucky. Shore fishing should also be very good in Port Hardy now as the pinks will arrive there first. For freshwater, Campbell River should have some pink salmon in it already as well, catch and release only I believe.

That's all I know, others can fill in the gaps. :)

jettabambino

• Old Timer
  • wanna banana?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 02:32:21 AM »

very little if any shore fishing for salmon in powell river... i would strike that one off the list..
see ya on the river

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 08:06:29 PM »

Hey thanks guys  :)

Rodney didn't see you in a long time. I have been quite busy this year but hope will have much more time this fall. Hope will see you all guys on the next clean up. Actually looking forward to it, as if I come it means I have much more time for fishing as well :)

Anybody else got any info abour fishing streams of Vancouver Island at the beginning of August?

Hiker