Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho lure rod  (Read 6952 times)

MetalAndFeathers

Re: Coho lure rod
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 10:39:26 AM »

Its easy to bomb casts farther than the guys with 10' rods with a 6'6 walmart special. Load it up to the brim with light braid and you dont need a long rod.

KarateKick

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »

2 years ago I bought a 10 foot "Cabela's Fish Eagle 50 Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rod" specifically for the beach and it's been exceptional! Rod specs are below. I'm not sure Cabela's still sell them, but gives you another idea.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65444
Model: FE50SS1004-2   
Length: 10'   
Action: Fast   
Lure Weight: 3/8 - 1   
Power: M   
Line Weight: 8 - 15   
Pieces: 2

I see something that looks very similar, numbered FE54SS1004:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/93094/

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 03:39:37 PM by KarateKick »

KarateKick

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 12:12:36 PM »

I've fished a number of Shakespeare rods and think they are the best bang for your buck rods! That said, I don't know their longer spinning rod options, for the beach I would recommend a longer rod (9-11 feet) with a Medium power.

I think you're right and I like the Wild Series, but for some reason no one around here sells just the Wild Series rod.

96XJ

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »

I've fished a number of Shakespeare rods and think they are the best bang for your buck rods! That said, I don't know their longer spinning rod options, for the beach I would recommend a longer rod (9-11 feet) with a Medium power.

2 years ago I bought a 10 foot "Cabela's Fish Eagle 50 Salmon/Steelhead Spinning Rod" specifically for the beach and it's been exceptional! Rod specs are below. I'm not sure Cabela's still sell them, but gives you another idea.

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/65444
Model: FE50SS1004-2   
Length: 10'   
Action: Fast   
Lure Weight: 3/8 - 1   
Power: M   
Line Weight: 8 - 15   
Pieces: 2

I 2nd the Fish Eagle 50 , i have the same rod , very happy with it , as far as buying a 6'6 Walmart special , why bother

KarateKick

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 09:34:22 AM »

For Coho I personally enjoy going a bit lighter than most - Most Coho are in the 3-6lb range anyway, rarely you get into a 10lb fish, and even when you do you can still land it fine with a lighter rod. Honestly, I've been eyeing Riebers spinning rod for sale, but don't need another. It's a steal price for a nice rod and decent reel. The rod is worth double his asking price alone.

In raging rivers it is no doubt too light, but from shore fisheries like the beach or Fraser it is fine.

I use a Fenwick HMX 2-6lb 9ft moderate-fast action spinning rod for all my Coho fishing. It's worked fine for 4 years now :). Landed the occasional chum with it too.. but it'll be bent right over, lol.

I've done some casting practice on a friend's 9' rods.  I couldn't cast very far with a 9' Medium Light 4-8 lb Eagle Claw Feather Light (with both smallish and biggish lures), but did much better with a 9' Medium Light 6-12 lb Shakespeare Wild.  That made me nervous about rods with lighter line ratings, and got me looking at 8+ lb rods.

The reading I've done gives me the opposite view of what I've experienced.  Everyone says the lighter rods give more distance.  I wonder if the frustration with the Eagle Claw is due more to the action rather than the power of the rod?  Maybe it's a slower rod and works like a weaker spring?

Thank you everyone for all your help.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 09:39:00 AM by KarateKick »

jessestmars

• BC Fishing Journal
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 09:50:29 AM »

I see something that looks very similar, numbered FE54SS1004:
http://www.cabelas.ca/product/93094/

Yes, that looks like the newer model. I think the FE54SS1004 rod would be perfect for your beach fishing requirements.
Pair it up with a saltwater rated spinning reel (recommend size 2500-3500 too heavy and casting gets exhausting), and some braided line (20 lb to 30 lb) and you're good to go!