Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sushi from salmon you have caught?  (Read 11618 times)

lunker

sushi from salmon you have caught?
« on: June 16, 2005, 04:44:38 PM »

Just wondering if anyone has ever made sushi / sashimi from river caught salmon, assuming that you have a nice fresh chromer to start with.  I can't see any problem with it, I don't think the fish are in fresh water long enough to acquire the invertebrates that pose a threat in freshwater fish.  Seeing as I like sushi so much it would be nice if I could make it from fish I catch(hopefully...) rather than going to the local sushi spot all the time.  Any thoughts?

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: sushi from salmon you have caught?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 07:38:23 PM »

If you want to make sashimi from salmon you catch it is IMPORTANT that you freeze it -20C for 7 days, before you
eat it as sashimi.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 07:58:57 PM »

I don't generally eat freshwater Salmon but have made Sashimi  many many times from fish I've caught in the salt sometimes right aboard the boat-fabulous eating.
The idea that Salmon has to be frozen first is nonsense perpetrated by anal govt agencies intent on controlling people's lives- ;DEat and Be Happy! ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 10:17:56 PM »

If you want to make sashimi from salmon you catch it is IMPORTANT that you freeze it -20C for 7 days, before you
eat it as sashimi.

Agree, always freeze the salmon prior to eating it.

meca_357

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 11:11:47 PM »

I beg to differ with the freezing if ur that conserned with the bacteria just cook it... Its pretty risky to just freeze it cus all freexing does is slows the metabolism of the bacteria and makes them less active hence slowing down the process of the deteriorization of the meat... cooking however the high themperatures kills the bacteria... so if anything i would only sushi the eff out of fresh chromers in the ocean or spend the lil bit of money to go to ur local sushi joint cus itll be cheaper than a coffin  ;)
cheers

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 03:22:43 AM »

that's why need to freeze it below -20c for 7 days this way bacteria will be killed. cell membrane can not withstand such low temp. It's membrane will rapture, thus killing all bacteria.

But bacteria isn't really the main problem. Freezing inshore salmon actualy is to kill worms. Next time you cut a fresh salmon into half and observe closely. Most likely you'll find small white thread like worm wiggling. ;D

fishersak

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 08:40:48 AM »

I do this all the time.(after freezing...)  Of course sockeye is good, but I have also eaten coho as well.  use the flesh that runs along the back from the lateral line up...this will give you a large enough piece so that it can be properly sliced (of course you need to remove this flesh from the bone first).  If you are having company, slice the flesh at an angle so the "grain" of the flesh will make a pleasing pattern when plated.  Another species you may want to try that is enjoyed my many is surf perch taken from the ocean. 

Good luck.

lunker

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 09:14:37 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, I was thinking along the same lines.  Bacteria are not really a concern, unless you don't handle the meat properly and allow it to spoil.  Worms or invertebrate organisms in the meat are the potential problem (that's why you can eat raw beef but not raw pork), but salt water fish are less prone to worms in the flesh than fresh water fish.  I don't think I would freeze a fish if I caught it in the ocean, the only thing I am not sure about is how long it takes a fish to develop worms in the flesh once it enters fresh water(if at all).  Some people don't like to freeze fish because they feel it affects the flavour and texture of the sashimi, but I have had sashimi from both restaurants and at home from frozen tuna and it has been excellent, so I don't think it is that big a deal.  Next chromer I get I think I'll give it a shot.  I would think sockeye, coho, and springs(red or white) would all be good, anyone ever tried pink salmon?

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 09:56:01 AM »

I've eaten Sockeye, Coho and Spring as  unfrozen Sashimi-all delicious.
Pink is a lot like Trout so I'd bleed/clean/ice it right away not let it sit at all-I rarely kill a Pink m'self.
I emailed an old buddy of mine last night to ask about the first time we ever ate Salmon raw aboard'.
He remembered it as July '85 we hired a charter out of Pender Harbour and were fishing Andersen Bay on the East side of Texada-my brother from Ontario was with us he thought we were nuts  ::) - he'd never seen anyone eat fish raw.
So that makes an even 20 years of eating unfrozen Salmon with no problems of any kind-ever.

flyfisherman

• addicted to flyfishing
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 11:38:46 AM »

Fresh right out of the water sashimi many times, never got sick. salmon in saltwater only, never tried salmon in freshwater, figure they start to turn as soon as they get into freshwater. Trout is excellent right out of the water also, sometimes I'll bring the wasabe and soy sause on the boat. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! 
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles