Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFO Moves head with Reform to Pacific Fisheries  (Read 4129 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
DFO Moves head with Reform to Pacific Fisheries
« on: June 16, 2005, 10:26:02 AM »

From the News wire:

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/releases/show.jsp?action=showRelease&actionFor=545660

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - June 16, 2005) - Geoff Regan, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, today introduced new measures to advance his agenda for reform of Pacific fisheries by committing $5.2 million to strengthen enforcement, implement new catch monitoring programs and improve scientific research.

More than half of this funding - $2.7 million - will be directed this summer toward enhancing programs for Fraser River salmon. The remainder will be used to strengthen regional programs and to begin implementation of the Pacific fisheries reform initiative. Mr. Regan made the announcement in response to recommendations from the Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans and the 2004 Post-Season Review, chaired by former British Columbia Chief Justice Bryan Williams.

"I take these reports very seriously and wish to commend committee members and Mr. Williams for their astute advice," said Minister Regan. "Managing the complex salmon fishery to both protect this valuable resource and ensure a sustainable fishery is a priority for the department."

Two recent reports by the Post Season Review and the standing committee were critical of the department's enforcement program. Minister Regan agreed that additional enforcement resources are needed during critical periods of Fraser River salmon migration, and DFO will be dedicating significant financial and operational resources during that time. The effectiveness of compliance efforts depends not only on enforcement but on proper catch monitoring and reporting, and on relationship building with First Nations and stakeholders, the minister said.

On April 14, 2005, a blueprint for Pacific Fisheries Reform was introduced by Minister Regan to address the underlying problems that face the salmon fishery and some of the specific concerns related to the Fraser River. The four themes identified for Pacific Fisheries Reform are:

• Sustaining strong salmon populations;
  • Strengthening DFO programs;
  • Making progress on increasing First Nations' access to economic  fisheries; and
  • Improving the economic performance of fisheries.
[/i]
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 10:28:59 AM by DragonSpeed »

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Re: DFO Moves head with Reform to Pacific Fisheries
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 11:19:42 AM »

all they have to do is enforce licenses along the vedder during sept/oct and they can make millions from handing out fines. there are so many beeks violating rules it just crazy.

anyone know why there are no DFO officers around there?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 11:27:07 AM »

Unfortunately the fines go into General Revenue not salmon enforcement.

I suspect the reason why there aren't too many DFO presence on the Vedder is the same as the Capilano; both are hatchery enhanced rivers. Too few staff means they concentrate their resources on more threatened rivers.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 01:09:16 PM »

More info - this time specifically Fraser River based:

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2005/03/22/969042-cp.html

The department will boost overtime and deploy 29 fisheries officers on the lower Fraser River and 27 on the upper Fraser. Another 16 officers will be available from elsewhere in British Columbia as needed, Regan said.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 03:18:31 PM »

I don't understand why they can not have volunteer based officers?
In Taiwan, there is volunteer based firefighter, first-aid personal and policeman.  Government provides proper training to them and at their off work (spare time)they will report to their station and carry out duties just like paid counterparts. Their uniforms and equipment usually come from local business and personal support.

The program works well.

I think DFO should also launch a volunteer DFO officer program so more places can be monitored and violators can be ticketed on the spot, and not get away with illegal doings.

Just a thought.  ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 03:42:35 PM »

Who's going to pay if they get injured on the job ?

FishOn

• This sure beats workin!