Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon fishing off Spanish Bank  (Read 7064 times)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Salmon fishing off Spanish Bank
« on: June 13, 2005, 04:25:51 AM »

Has anyone tried fishing for salmon off Spanish or jerico?

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
Re: Salmon fishing off Spanish Bank
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 09:14:50 AM »

Can be good in a boat on the flood, at the right time of year.

blueback

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 10:59:26 PM »

If you decide to try it on foot during a low tide off Spanish, be VERY carefull of the incoming tide as many people have found themselves trapped there, on what ends up being a rapidly disappearing island in a very strong rip current. Very dangerous; and I believe there have been some drownings in that area. Good in a boat though, as lots of salmon feed off the dropoff; good luck!

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 07:33:14 AM »

If you decide to try it on foot during a low tide off Spanish, be VERY carefull of the incoming tide as many people have found themselves trapped there, on what ends up being a rapidly disappearing island in a very strong rip current. Very dangerous; and I believe there have been some drownings in that area.
The quote as given is 100% bunk.
I've been cycling/walking my buddy's dog there for years-there are no dangerous rip tides of any kind-just an incoming tide over the sand/mud flats.
In the old days people used to walk out to fish the dropoff during the lowest tides-today they go just to walk their mutts/slog through the mud.
No one has ever drowned just gotten muddy and a bit wet. ::)

blueback

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 08:58:36 PM »

Well then Sam, I guess the coast guard guy I spoke with (while he was rescuing this guy and his kid on the little island I described) was exagerating. You may cycle/walk your buddy's dog alot, but I fish in that area regularly (in my boat) and often the incoming tide rips along with good speed. I've also seen the people with dogs, etc. on the banks, but never out where I'm describing (between the two bank markers, AT THE DROP-OFF). Anyway, don't have cow man. Take it or leave it.     

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 08:58:25 AM »

Well then Sam, I guess the coast guard guy I spoke with (while he was rescuing this guy and his kid on the little island I described) was exagerating. You may cycle/walk your buddy's dog alot, but I fish in that area regularly (in my boat) and often the incoming tide rips along with good speed. I've also seen the people with dogs, etc. on the banks, but never out where I'm describing (between the two bank markers, AT THE DROP-OFF).     
People BS-all the time-if you knew the place from the land as well as the water-like I do-you'd know that there is no island of any kind-the whole place is flat as can be [edit -DS]
The place you're talking about was old Shumba's favourite spot-he loved to scramble off the dropoff.
I preferred to drive him around the corner to the Fraser-less of a walk and less mud.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005, 09:52:34 AM by DragonSpeed »

JackFunk

• Miskatonic U. Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005, 11:12:23 AM »

I've skimboarded that area since the 80's, always wondered if there were any fish off that dropoff.

Might have to give it a try sometime. Never have seen any dangerous currents per se, but we all know to treat Mother Nature with the utmost of respect.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 01:06:11 PM »

Thanks for the edit of the racial slur.
It was not cool. ::)

blueback

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 11:05:40 PM »

Racial slur huh. ??? Didn't see it before it got edited. Has no place here though :-X. Chill out Sammy, and play nice.  ;D
On the right tide, there are lots of bait off that drop and sometimes you find a salmon or two in there feeding.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:28:23 AM »

The stereotyping continues from Sam Salmon through PM's...

Sam Salmon:
If its inappropriate to post on the forum, don't PM me about your viewpoints. I'm not interested in knowing how you label certain ethinic groups. You should consider the diversity of the members of this site before you shoot your mouth.
You're right, I'm a young man in relation to other members of this club. I'm guessing that you're much older than me, which makes it worse that you act this way.