Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly Only?  (Read 9402 times)

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Fly Only?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 05:06:47 PM »

--If you want to restrict the numbers on a particular area then try Limited entry as in hunting regulations... people who get the limited entry would be given something like a tag number that would have to be displayed... It would include dates available for fishing with the limited entry.
--But be aware that YOU may not get a limited entry to that area and it may encourage others like myself who do not fish those waters due to the crowding to also seek a limited entry pass, thus reducing your chances of fishing the area.

--I'm not against fly fishing... in fact I have been a flyfishing club member for many years... but just because you fly fish doesn't make you an honest fisher. Might even attract some of those bad bait guys who would switch to flies just to fish these restricted fly only areas... they might even add scent to the flies!

--Why not restrict the area to people who own pre 1970 red VW beetles?  I'm sure they would make sure no Dodge guys fish there.

--Be careful what you ask for... restricting areas may just  motivate the people you kick out to search out your favourite super secret stretch of river.

in the lower mainland i really dont think restricting the number of anglers would do much, there would have to be basiclly a permant officer there to make sure its ok. for you to fish there.
and have you fished the campbell river on van. island theres a strech on the upper section of river which is fly only and sure is nice, and the people seem to actually KNOW to watch out behind people, on the vedder or other rivers when i bring out one of my flyrods youd be amazed at the number of people who walk willynilly behind while a sharp hook is flying through the air... believe me not prety if it gets a persons face  ::)

keep in mind i also fish a pin and a baitcaster so i would be going from various sections of the river in a day, some with the gear to gurintee a fish hookup then the fly for more angling plessure and francilly i hate rerigiing with gear, fly fishings so basic and much nicer to fight a fish.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:11:12 PM by steelie-slayer »
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 10:20:32 PM »

in the lower mainland i really dont think restricting the number of anglers would do much, there would have to be basiclly a permant officer there to make sure its ok. for you to fish there.
and have you fished the campbell river on van. island theres a strech on the upper section of river which is fly only and sure is nice, and the people seem to actually KNOW to watch out behind people, on the vedder or other rivers when i bring out one of my flyrods youd be amazed at the number of people who walk willynilly behind while a sharp hook is flying through the air... believe me not prety if it gets a persons face  ::)

keep in mind i also fish a pin and a baitcaster so i would be going from various sections of the river in a day, some with the gear to gurintee a fish hookup then the fly for more angling plessure and francilly i hate rerigiing with gear, fly fishings so basic and much nicer to fight a fish.

The fly only section on the Campbell River is only accessed by walking into the river. It does not have a large dyke or even lots of walking room with lots of shoreline. Obviously its more safe. You also dont have the population base in Campbell River like you do here in the Lower Mainland. Those two rivers are not even comparable.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

The fly only section on the Campbell River is only accessed by walking into the river. It does not have a large dyke or even lots of walking room with lots of shoreline. Obviously its more safe. You also dont have the population base in Campbell River like you do here in the Lower Mainland. Those two rivers are not even comparable.
they are in pink salmon season, well the non fly section
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »

they are in pink salmon season, well the non fly section

Their are allot of people fishing the non fly only section during pink season BUT the numbers of people are nowhere near the numbers the Vedder has. The Campbell is a short river with limited access. Most people only fish below the bridge and about a mile below the bridge. The Vedder has about 30kms of fishable water? Maybe more

Belong to the "4 F Club"

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 10:38:27 PM »

Their are allot of people fishing the non fly only section during pink season BUT the numbers of people are nowhere near the numbers the Vedder has. The Campbell is a short river with limited access. Most people only fish below the bridge and about a mile below the bridge. The Vedder has about 30kms of fishable water? Maybe more
true, i think when fishing the campbell it just feels more crowded as its a short river, the vedder is deffintly over fished imo

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »

true, i think when fishing the campbell it just feels more crowded as its a short river, the vedder is deffintly over fished imo

I am not saying either is over fished. Both rivers are hatchery enhanced with limits in place. If the stocks fall the in season changes on limits would change. Neither river is actually over fished. The kind of things that take place on the Vedder is the problem and its because its over crowded due to easy access, within an hour and a half of Vancouver, and a healthy return of salmon/steelhead.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

carpenter

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »

It would be great if we could have some fly only areas on our lower mainland rivers but i dont think the enforcement is there .  I fish the cap mainly since i moved to vancouver and for such a small river you think it would be easy to enforce regs. but i have only see one officer in about 30 - 40 days on the river . many days yelling at guys fishing with barbs, bait . And the gear that i pick up every time i go to the river seems like people do whatever they want . been tempted to throw peoples gear in the river . its frustrating to see all that s--- while you care about the fish stocks and the river you are fishing. :-[

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »

It would be great if we could have some fly only areas on our lower mainland rivers but i dont think the enforcement is there .  I fish the cap mainly since i moved to vancouver and for such a small river you think it would be easy to enforce regs. but i have only see one officer in about 30 - 40 days on the river . many days yelling at guys fishing with barbs, bait . And the gear that i pick up every time i go to the river seems like people do whatever they want . been tempted to throw peoples gear in the river . its frustrating to see all that s--- while you care about the fish stocks and the river you are fishing. :-[

Ya, yelling never fails lol... ::) This comes from a guy who thinks flossing is great for catch and release salmon. ::)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24384.msg229956#msg229956

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »

Ya, yelling never fails lol... ::) This comes from a guy who thinks flossing is great for catch and release salmon. ::)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24384.msg229956#msg229956

I understand what he was saying with his post.
There is a method for fly fishing now that gets fish to bite the fly then put the hook onto the outside of the mouth (forget what it's called).
If you are catch and releasing, flossing does do less damage to the fish by not hitting arteries, tongue, etc inside the mouth.
May not be ethical because the fish isn't biting but does less damage.

And don't get on my case for saying that... I don't floss fish on the Vedder.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2011, 10:36:15 AM »

There is a method for fly fishing now that gets fish to bite the fly then put the hook onto the outside of the mouth (forget what it's called).

--Moffitt fishing method.. started with fly now I think also added beads.. intended for catch and release with no gut hook.
--The hook used is a small thin wire circle hook... they fly is not tied directly on the hook.. the fly is tied and hook trails only a few inches behind.
--The intent is the fish actually strikes the lure and in the process of active strike gets hooked outside of the mouth by the circle hook... if the fish takes from behind and swallows the expectation is the circle hook will not attach.
--I think they have now adapted this to a pegged bead system as well.
--I have been experimenting with this method on spoons with trailing circle hook...note trailing hook is only a few inches behind spoon.. again the intent is to hook fish that actively takes the spoon.

--Also note the circle hook used on the Moffitt fly is very small... I haven't yet seen these hooks for sale separate from the Moffitt system 

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »

Vedder River is fly fishing only in May, but are there any steelhead left in the lower river so late in the season?
I am just curious if this is a meaningful fishery for fly fishers.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »

Most of the fish you are getting are kelts eating whatever they can as they head back out to sea.
Not all those who wander are lost

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 02:58:46 AM »

I understand what he was saying with his post.
If you are catch and releasing, flossing does do less damage to the fish by not hitting arteries, tongue, etc inside the mouth.
May not be ethical because the fish isn't biting but does less damage.

And don't get on my case for saying that... I don't floss fish on the Vedder.

Read the link I provided. He was talking about not having a problem with purposely flossing boots on the Vedder.