Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downrigger questiononie  (Read 3172 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Downrigger questiononie
« on: May 28, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »

OK - hard to believe, I know - but I've never had a boat or used a downrigger before.... that being said, 3 years of saving change (YES, CHANGE!) I've now a 12' alum with 54" beam and 8HP mid-90's evinrude in my garage....  Wanting to pick up a downrigger, but can't for the life of my sift through all the info online - ergo, the question:

For just a basic, manual downrigger - I see lots for sale on CL, but many with extendable booms and all list different size booms.... some with pedestal mounts, some with swivel mounts - some with swivel pedestal mounts!  WTF (What The FISHY) am I looking for? LOL  I'm going to be trolling lakes AND salt, so thinking the laker stuff isn't rated for salt from what I've read....

I know, I know - so basic, yet managed to confuse myself with info overload!  Any help (and if anyone has one for a great price, I'd VERY much appreciate a PM!)

TIA - James
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:47:50 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Downrigger questiononie
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »

I like Scotty downriggers and is all ive ever owned but I also some that don't like Scottys.
For the guy who gets out once in a while they are all you need.
I doubt you will be fishing winter springs down deep so a manual rigger is the way to go in a 12 footer.
As far as swivel etc. they are just add on features that let you swing your rigger parallel to the boat to get them out of the way.
Nice but not necessary.
One thing ,do not operate a downrigger without having a depthsounder on board.
It can be scary in a small boat when that rigger ball catches/snags on something.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »

Thanks for the tips - and good thought on the sounder - was also on my list, will move it up a notch to get before the downrigger I think!

Sr SQ

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 07:55:23 AM »

I agree with firstlight, you need a reliable sounder to know the bottom depth to safely use a downrigger.

I would go manual in your situation simply because you dont have an adequate charging system to maintain the electric riggers draw.
I run electrics on my cartopper and before getting the new motor with the bigger charging system it wouldnt take long to drain down the battery, especially when pulling heavy balls from deep .
Another suggestion I have (again from experience LOL) is make sure your mounting bracket is braced extremely well to a solid part inboard of the boats gunnel.
I hooked up once and bent the gunnel on the first cartopper I mounted riggers on, very scary situation, I thought the boat was going to tip over!
Long arms add even more leverage to the mix but make it easier to turn without getting tangled.
I personally like the tip-up option on the scotty riggers and would recommend them as well.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 08:57:27 AM »

Thanks, SR!  Some great info there!

Appreciate the comments!

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »

A long boom is a Bad Idea on a smaller boat-30" is lots.

You'll need to do some research/careful thinking about how & where exactly you want the DR mounted sounds funny it's such a small boat but mounting is even more critical since sudden weight shifts can be troublesome.No matter the mount be sure to use a backing plate-kitchen cutting board material if fine for that purpose.

If you end up buying a DR with wire carry sturdy wire cutters and keep them handy.

Scotty is great but parts can be stupid expensive so choose carefully a friend gave me an old DR one time but it still cost me almost $100 to make the thing usable-still got it though.

Older Scotty models don't have the boom mounted rod holder and there's no way to retrofit one-if you see a used model with rod holder included grab it you'll be Happy you did.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 12:54:00 PM »

Again, appreciate the comments!  Researching is exactly what I'm doin! LOL

kindalonismo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 10:33:14 PM »

IMO go with the Scotty's

Go with the models that have extendable handles. Highly recommended if you are going manual, especially when fishing deeper in the salt and using a minimum 12 lb ball.  I think their is a model called a strong arms, they aren't extendable but will fit the boom mounted rod holder?

Go with the swivel mount if you can find it, always nice to get the rigger out of the way when netting a fish.

Happy cranking and good luck with the search! In 8-12 months after buying the manual you will be saving for an electric  ;D

RRV

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »

I run a 12 foot aluminum with an old  4.5 hp outboard. I have a older Scotty hand-crank downrigger on it, and it works well.  The tricky part was mounting the downrigger. The solution I came up with was to use a section of 2x6 run across the gunnels. I attached four eyebolts to the board, one one each side of each gunnel, and then attach a strap to the inner two eyebolts to fasten and secure the board to the boat. On the top side of the board I've installed the mounting bracket for the downrigger.  It also makes a great platform for your fish-finder/depth-sounder.  For that I have a Humminbird portable fishfinder... It's good at finding bottom if not so great at marking fish, but as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it's necessary.

A word about the hand-crank models: for me they're fine for lakes were I rarely fish below 50 feet, but in the ocean they're a real pain. That said, if you're in a 12 fool aluminum I'd be pretty cautious about venturing too far into the salt. For the ocean or even a big lake like Adams or Bonaparte you have to be really careful out there.