Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumallo to 26 mile bridge trail.  (Read 4191 times)

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Sumallo to 26 mile bridge trail.
« on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:55 AM »

This summer I was thinking I would finally get around to doing this hike. I've only ever stopped at 26 mile and hiked in for about a half hour just for a poke, but being 25 degrees and wearing chest waders the novelty wore off pretty quick. the main purpose of the hike for me is fishing, and I was a little discouraged by the short section I did see, which was steep valley with the trail high above the river.

Can anyone who has done this hike chime in on just how much access there is along the trail to the river? I don't really feel like scrambling up and down from the trail to the river excessively, although I'm not afraid of some bush whacking.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Sumallo to 26 mile bridge trail.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 02:53:36 PM »

Couple summers ago (Late July) I walked from Sumallo Grove about 10 km to 28 Mile Creek on a weekday.  Water was perfect imo.  If I recall correctly it took couple hours to walk to 28 Mile Creek and then took my time to fish and explore on the way back.  Very easy trail to cover fast and there was a few very nice holes to fish.  At the time my arm was in a sling and still managed to do a little bushwacking.  One spot I recall caught my eye (pool with boulders) and had to get down to it one armed but that was where my largest fish came from.  Did not use waders just shorts with crocs on feet and don't think I waded at all except to release fish.  Also did not fish for rainbows just bulls using a leadhead jig/grub.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:19:03 AM »

I was hoping to make it a 2 day hike. Do you think there's enough water if I pick it apart or is it more of a day trip? I guess I'm looking for an excuse to spend a night in the bush. Maybe I'll fish for bulls on the way down and nymph or dry fly on the way back.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »

For sure camping would be ideal but I was quite satisfied with daytripping.  If I recall though, you may only have fires in the designated pits at camping area which would be located at Delacy Camp (about 5km from Sumallo Grove). 

Many years ago we had a real adventure starting from the Chilliwack Lake area hiking to Lindeman and Greendrop Lakes, then continuing on eventually to Sumallo Grove where we were picked up.  I think that was about a week trip but unfortunately the whole Skagit was blown and we did no fishing there but saw tons of wildlife.  I believe the river is closed until July 1st anyways and should be in decent condition by then.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 02:32:11 PM »

Thanks for the advise I'm sure the river will be in fine shape by then with this years snow pack.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 03:29:06 PM »

I haven't been down there in a long time - better than 10 years easy. But there was good fishing around the A-frame cabin a couple of kms down the trail then the trail rose up for 1km or more as the river goes into a canyon. In low water you can wade down it. Past the canyon there was easy access to the river - the trail pretty much skirts it - to Delacy. I never went much farther down and there was good fishing all the way there and it made a perfect day trip.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:05:02 PM »

Thanks for the tips Ralph.