"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Bear
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »

Just spotted a black bear at the Stave dam . Keep your ears and eyes open

LOL, there are bears everywhere right now. There is about 4 of them living in my immediate neighbourhood. No need to be afraid of a black bear. Respect them, and keep your distance. Extremely rare to have a black bear attack, unless startled, cornered, or you are between a baby and a momma.

Just be aware and make lots of noise in the bush, they'll run away.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »

No worries , he just crossed he road down towards the dam , lots of cars up and down the road . Sorry misspelling I'm rocking around the boat at Stave lake

mikeyman

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 05:49:09 PM »

Its the lions u need to worry about...nobody f's with a lion.

doja

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »

Except man vs lion...  Lol check it out!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WCfDiPIydZ0

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »

There was a camper killed this spring by a black bear near Mackenzie, B.C.. Certainly you have to be cautious around a sow black bear with cubs. However solitary male black bears are hungry and looking for food. So when in bear country keep food item stored away safely and dispose of garbage properly. Also if a black bear does not take off and instead shows aggressive behaviour,  do not run away from it. Back off from it slowly and throw objects at it if you have to. Suppress the urge to run away as you cannot outrun a bear, and they are surprisingly fast for a big animal. 

doja

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 01:25:47 PM »

^^^ not sure I'd throw a rock at a bear,  lol. However taking 2 rocks and hammering them together will make it think twice before finding out what you're made of... Which is really not much,  lol. I've done this and it does work... Just like the video! Only he used a roll of toilet paper instead as his threatening tool,  lol.  Also helps when he's the size of a small bear,  lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:28:38 PM by doja »

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »

I was referring to a bear that is showing predatory behavior. In cases like that a rock thrown at or that hits the bear, may be just enough of a deterrent to discourage it and have it move off to look for something else.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 07:37:11 PM »

LOL, there are bears everywhere right now. There is about 4 of them living in my immediate neighbourhood. No need to be afraid of a black bear. Respect them, and keep your distance. Extremely rare to have a black bear attack, unless startled, cornered, or you are between a baby and a momma.

Just be aware and make lots of noise in the bush, they'll run away.

Yup lots of bears this year up in Maple Ridge. Also what you need to be aware of is cougars. Two cougar sightings here in the last week. With lots of small kids around this one I am worried about. I never worry about the black bears.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »

I was referring to a bear that is showing predatory behavior. In cases like that a rock thrown at or that hits the bear, may be just enough of a deterrent to discourage it and have it move off to look for something else.

I've been told never to throw anything at a bear. The Rock is better in your hand if there was an extremely rare attack. Smash its nose.

doja

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »

I've had a black bear (both were brown in colour though) act very aggressively to me to and used the 2 rock method... Not for a second did I think my life wasn't in extreme danger as I was about to be pinned between 2 bears on a trail with no escape route (blackberrys) ... Had to run  at the bear leaving about 10' feet between us,  then running past the bear while hammering the 2 rocks to keep the bear back as I had 2 dogs off leash and had it trapped us between the other bear it would have been really bad!!! A growling bear in very close proximity is quite...  Thrilling,  lol,  and the other bear seemed pretty cool at less then 10' but that can change very quickly as he wasn't aware of the other growling one who seemed pretty pissed off at us,  lol. It was very much a decision I made thinking if this doesn't work were dead,  lol. It was the best decision but a tough one...

Ever throw a rock at a human...  Only pisses them off,  lol.  Same with a bear...

Know of a guy who unloaded a 357 on a grizzly bear...  He still died,  lol. If it comes to the point it's attacking...  You're screwed,  lol. Don't piss it off,  lol. Play dead at that point, or better yet just keep it at a bay...   don't make it worse! Or provocative it into a fight...  You won't win...

That said most black bears are pretty chill or scared of you... Just stay calm and you'll probably be fine
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:00:05 PM by doja »

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 11:50:21 AM »

There is one wandering around our seasonal site at cultus lake. odd I thought with all the activity there is at cultus

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 03:35:11 PM »

With all the berries ripening in the lower mountain areas lures the public into picking berries at parks where a bear could be lurking around the same teritory . Kids are especailly vulnerable as they have no idea unless a parent or perents warn them that they are in bear teritory . Best practice is to educate the young kids before venturing out on a trip to the outdoors . Be bear aware  8) .
Oh . BTW Stave Lake was a bust for all fishers out on Saturday  :P .

chronicfisher

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 03:54:02 PM »

Everyone knows it's Bigfoot you gotta watch out for.

Copper Koski

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:41 AM »

Had a bear sneak up on me at the Vedder. Was about 20' away when I noticed it. I tried yelling and making myself look big, but, he kept comming towards me. He could smell 2 dead coho at my feet. Only thing that worked was throwing the biggest boulders I could find. Noise was enough to keep him back. He backed off to about 30' and watched me for 30 min. Luckily he lost interest and left.