Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pautzke crab scent  (Read 4881 times)

Voyager

Pautzke crab scent
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »

I've been looking but haven't found Pautzke crab scent for marinating bait, feel the need for a feed of crab and haven't had much luck lately, last two times at Twassassen resulted in no keepers. Any body know who sells it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Pautzke crab scent
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »

Try Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond. I seem to remember seeing them there.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »

Try Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond. I seem to remember seeing them there.

Yup

Voyager

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »

Thanks guys I'll call them tomorrow.

Dude

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »

Canadian Tire Has them as well, I saw them couple days ago when I was at Ironwood Canadian tire in richmond

BananasQ

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »

Canadian Tire Has them as well, I saw them couple days ago when I was at Ironwood Canadian tire in richmond

Yep, I thought I saw this in CT in PoCo too.

Fatso

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »

Hi Men!  Do you think that stuff really works?
I just use fresh fish offal and I don't seem to have any problem catching them.
But of course, that video of the 1 hour soak in 20 feet of water was quite impressive.

VA7DDP

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:53:58 PM »

Hi Men!  Do you think that stuff really works?
I just use fresh fish offal and I don't seem to have any problem catching them.
But of course, that video of the 1 hour soak in 20 feet of water was quite impressive.

If we use pellets for prawn fishing that is the only time that we soak the pellets in the pautske stuff.

If your using fish offal for crabbing I wouldnt bother with this stuff.

BananasQ

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:33:05 AM »

so, I'm not using that stuff, I've been using the Copper River stuff from Ace of Baits.  It is *dear*. However, I am my season this year has gone from me maybe getting a keeper or two from a trip out, to now getting a keeper or two on every pot pull and regularly limiting out.  I use it with some presoaked Ladner Traps bait nugget things.  Someone explained it to me that you need something to draw them in (the scent that you add, plus your bait) and something to keep them interested (your bait).

Anyway, as per YMMV - but for me so far using these kind of things has been a game changer. I've also changed my traps this season, so that may have also impacted it soon.  A trip soon I will only put the scent in one and see what happens.

BananasQ

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:59:20 AM »

Did a couple of soaks this weekend.  Only caught 3 keepers - the one with the soaked crab candy nuggets caught two of those so it may be doing better but I need to keep the experiment going a bit longer to be sure.

Also, lost my new (from Craigslist) Scotty Trap Ease - if anyone has a used one and is looking to sell please let me know!

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »

Keepers have to be around.
They won't travel for miles for something that smells better than anything they pass.
They're opportunists.

Fishing a stocked lake two weeks (or less) after stocking  will yield the same result because most of the harvest has been taken already.

2 cents

TimL

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 02:42:02 PM »

Keepers have to be around.
They won't travel for miles for something that smells better than anything they pass.
They're opportunists.

Fishing a stocked lake two weeks (or less) after stocking  will yield the same result because most of the harvest has been taken already.

2 cents
Gotta agree with you. If you are crabbing in a heavily fished area or if the tides are not favorable, chances are you will get very few, if any keepers regardless of whether you use enhanced scented bait or not. I've had success on recent trips (limiting or close to limiting out) using just chicken bone. I would use fish offal if I have the choice but the presence of bait stealing seals and otters in the area keeps me from using it.

BananasQ

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »

3 keepers in two traps in two hours (2 x 60 minute soaks) wasn't bad.  But that is not my point, what I am stating is that I need is some more data points to determine if there is any measurable difference (aka benefit) to this.  Anyway, if I have anything definitive to share I will.