Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 18th 2013  (Read 1587 times)

Headshake

Chilliwack River, October 18th 2013
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »

I don't know where the fish are, but they certainly aren't where I am fishing. Started below the railway bridge at first light tossing roe and spinners and nothing. Not a sniff. Only moldy chums making their way by with the odd coho, but the 4 of us, and the 3 other fisherman that joined later didn't hook a thing.
Moved up to behind on the way, and the same thing. I did see one shiny spring move through, but nothing touched by the 8-10 people fishing this area either.
I went down to the canal to have a look and saw quite a few people on the corner by the gravel parking lot but no one seemed to be hooking anything other than a moldy pink.
Am I still too high? not high enough. This is the 2nd week like this and it is pretty frustrating seeing some of these great reports that don't coincide with my experience on this river. I will be moving on to other systems. I just can't seem to find them in this river for the last 2 weeks. :-[
I'ts either a fish or the bottom!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Chilliwack River, October 18th 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »

Lots of fish in the river right now, just be there first light with good bait, and its hammer time. Just make sure your in the right type of water to fish them. I wouldn't recommend fishing them in the afternoon under the sun, but would focus using that time on watching the tide with spinners. Fishing is always better after a bump of water, and overcast days.
The Bigger The Better!

Pin-nook

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 03:24:24 PM »

Best advice I can give, coho are super lazy and hate to stay in current so find dead water or back eddys. You'll be shocked where coho like to hang or rest!

ICA

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

You are so right "Pin-nook"; yesterday I was there and everyone were flogging dead water for the most part with few cohos to show for including myself. Then I decided that I would walk a little further to a stretch of slow water, most unappealing, but what have I gotta lose. Second cast at that spot and my float disappeared and the fight was on. Landed a chrome hatchery about 8 lbs. It was hard work staring early in the morning, but hey, that's fishing. Acquaintance of mine told me that good roe is a must and he was right.

colin6101

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »

Most definitely, the only store bought roe that I will even touch anymore is from Berry's, but I still much prefer my own when available.

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 04:25:50 PM »

This year I have been hooking more coho in the deep, fast runs that I normally fish for springs.  Sometimes they will be right in the main current, just like the springs, and other times they will be in the slower water toward the gravel bars.  On Sunday I landed 4 hatchery coho in a run like this on the lower river, while people fishing the frog water right above the run got nothin'. 

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:00:14 PM »

The fishing pressure can make the fish sit in messed up spots. Heavily pressured days the coho will travel more into the faster water to avoid the bombardment of gear. Lightly pressured days they will travel in the calmest of water. Coho sitting in the dead calm frog water are usually more stale fish which are not too interested in biting anything but a fly.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

gman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »

Second time out for the year for me today. Picked a lower river spot first thing this morning and found the fishing pretty good the first couple of hours. Hooked a number of coho and kept 2 good sized ones. After that it slowed down, and just got the odd chum, and kept a bright doe. Around midday you could tell the fish were still there but they were just not biting much. Used roe and blades most of the day.