Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly patterns for pinks  (Read 3355 times)

Trophy Fisher

Fly patterns for pinks
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:35:48 PM »

I was seeing if anyone had any suggestion for fly patterns for pinks, I will bi fishing the Fraser near Harrison. 

silverslab

Re: Fly patterns for pinks
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:40 AM »

anything pink will work,  a few years ago i went out and forgot my fly case at home, i got a piece of pink wool of a guy and tied to a hook and voila i was fishing and it worked fairly well

RossP

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »

I have good luck with Pink Clouser minnows.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:33:02 PM »

in the Fraser the pattern doesnt matter much because they only see it quickly and have to react to it. other rivers (squamish,vedder...etc.) or in the salt chuck the pattern comes into play a bit more but still not much. I like anything pink, chartuese with silver works great. I tie 2 versions of each fly a heavy material one and a very sparse one, at one time or another they will work better then the other. I found in the salt sparse is best, in the river especially if its being swung first bigger is better. I also tie everything weighted and un-weighted  ;)

and i havent used a hook bigger then a size 6 for any pink flies so yes more material but still small over all size
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

silverslab

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 11:01:17 PM »

do you have any problems with the fish inhaling the hook to deep with a #6, i only ask because i fiah with 1 and 2's and with 2's I have that

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:28:13 AM »

do you have any problems with the fish inhaling the hook to deep with a #6, i only ask because i fiah with 1 and 2's and with 2's I have that
I have only once had a salmon inhale a hook deep and it wasn't a fly either so I wouldn't see how you would a have to worry about that.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »

ive never had a salmon take a fly deep. chironomid fishing for trout i certainly have but never fishing salmon. I think its to hard to deep hook a fish when your retrieving the fly, not to say it doesnt happen but its very rare.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

Almost all of the pinks I've caught on the fly are hooked in the upper or lower jaw or in the corner of the mouth. Can't remember any that have taken the fly deep in the mouth or down th throat.
It ain't the roe bro'