Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tomorrow Fishing Spots  (Read 8363 times)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
Re: Tomorrow Fishing Spots
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 04:04:27 PM »

I agree with y'all, don't post secrets - heck, don't post any spots or gear tricks. But don't post ignorant comments either.  Just ignore the request or send the guy a PM with a spot or two or trick or two - usually they're not asking for any secrets, but getting at least a general idea of direction and what to use gives someone new an idea of WHAT to search.  I was searching for help when I found THIS site - growing up out of province, I didn't have a clue what river fishing was or where to go or where to start and quite frankly, the one store I went into and ask (as well as ask what to buy from them) did not treat me the way they should have and started joking about my inexperience with one of their "experienced" customers (glad they are no longer in business!!! wonder why?!?).  From THAT experience, I was a little gunshy to go face to face.

Yes, two of you were kind enough to give me GPS coordinates since I barely knew where Chiliwack was, let alone the Vedder which was confusing too is it the chilliwack river or the vedder river what's the canal, is it part of the river?  The tips I was given were not the popular spots, but also not super secret spots as I found out - but they WERE spots that got me hooked - again, good on ya.

What did they do before the internet?  One could ask the same question about anything, what did they do before bank machines or typewriters etc.  Point is the internet IS a tool and can be helpful to get people started - hopefully they will pay it forward, and by PM!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

YESFISH

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »

Just a thought, one of the reasons the rivers are getting crowded is this forum. Its nice but the type of people fishing on the other side of the veddar last veterans day were bad.  They felt they had to throw as close to me as possible and didn't care if I got hit. If I get hit, I might spool them. They have no manners. I met some irrate fisherman last weekend that dispuise this forum but I just listened. The forum also mentions ethics a lot. The problem is most of the bad apples don't read or understand this or hate their common man.  Before this, less people got easy information and stayed off the river.

YESFISH

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2009, 04:44:05 PM »

By the way, we walked 6 miles Wednesday. :-\

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »

I am getting really tired of these posts and questions from newbie forum members.  Park your car, lace up your boots, grab your rod and go for a f****** walk. 

i've been on this forum a long time and i've seen people come and go... still, part of the reason why this site has been successful is because of the camaraderie between its members... we all have our differences, but there's a right way and a wrong way to respond to questions and requests... especially from newer members who look up to the seasoned veterans for help.

i'm with fish assassin... you need a starting point... there is NO ONE on this site that was never given a spot or two to try out... or even given a "point of direction" by a friend...or even a friendly stranger.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2009, 04:58:03 PM »

Just a thought, one of the reasons the rivers are getting crowded is this forum. Its nice but the type of people fishing on the other side of the veddar last veterans day were bad.  They felt they had to throw as close to me as possible and didn't care if I got hit. If I get hit, I might spool them. They have no manners. I met some irrate fisherman last weekend that dispuise this forum but I just listened. The forum also mentions ethics a lot. The problem is most of the bad apples don't read or understand this or hate their common man.  Before this, less people got easy information and stayed off the river.

it's not so much the forum, as much, as how people post their fishing reports...bragging about how many they caught along with photos showing the background of where they were fishing... also making reports of where flossers are congregating and having success...these information are almost always used by those who would exploit the opportunity to get easy access to fish.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 04:59:04 PM »

What did we do before internet? This is such a simple answer I cannot believe nobody answered it:

#1 - Friends gave you their spots
#2 - Explored
#3 - ( where most of us got our info ) FROM LOCAL SHOPS!!!

You go into a store, you buy stuff regularly and you get info. The more they get to know you the more they give you. Spend money in local shops and you would be surprised at how much info you get. I was in my local shop today buying some fins and booties for my pontoon boat. I am heading out tomorrow and I told them where I was going. Well the owner of the shop was out in the spot just this past week and told me how well he did. So it was encouraging to know that where I am going could produce well.

I will also give some advice which I have already given in the years I have been on this forum.

#1 - Carry your regs with you.
#2 - Get map with all the local rivers, and water ways
#3 - Pick a couple of those local waters you wish to fish
#4 - Check your regs for any restrictions
#5 - Explore the area in which you have chosen.

In the slower part of the year this is what I do. I have a very long list of some of the places I plan on fishing for cutthroat in the fall/winter. Many of them I have never even been to but I will be doing lots of walking. Maybe just maybe I will find some water in which I can add to my long list of fishing locations.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »

When I first started fishing the Vedder I just had an inkling where the river was. Missed the turnoff from Hwy 1. Got thoroughly lost. Had a frustrating day. Next week I went to Berry's, met a friendly chap who took some time telling me what turnoff to take, what tackle to use and directions to some holes. Took his advice and went out the following weekend. Didn't catch any fish but had the opportunity to watch other fishermen and learned from them. When fishing was slow, I took the time to do a little exploring.

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »

I have to agree that the best info a person can get is by getting out and doing some searching and walk and fish our local flows,i know there are many fisherman that have spent thousands of hours walking our streams and are self taught on best times ,tactics ,conditions etc and yes it does bother some people to see internet fisherman surfing for easy answers instead of just going out and doing what we all love to do and thats to fish.I have found that the internet ,while it can be a usefull tool is just another one of the present day mechanisms in our society that make people lazy and instead of getting out and doing they spend more time searching for the easy way on the websites such as this,for the most part most seasoned fisherman are not going to give away many secrets on the internet but i believe sites such as this can be a great teaching tool for the people that are new to our sport and i don't see any point in poor treatment of these individuals just because they may not know any better,in time the newbies will learn and a little help along the way can only make everyones experiences on the water more enjoyable,instead some forum members choose to chastise beginners and send them off to the rivers frustrated,in the long run that doesn't do him any good or the guys that end up fishing beside him on the flow.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 05:04:59 PM »

What did we do before internet? This is such a simple answer I cannot believe nobody answered it:

#1 - Friends gave you their spots
#2 - Explored
#3 - ( where most of us got our info ) FROM LOCAL SHOPS!!!

You go into a store, you buy stuff regularly and you get info. The more they get to know you the more they give you. Spend money in local shops and you would be surprised at how much info you get. I was in my local shop today buying some fins and booties for my pontoon boat. I am heading out tomorrow and I told them where I was going. Well the owner of the shop was out in the spot just this past week and told me how well he did. So it was encouraging to know that where I am going could produce well.

I will also give some advice which I have already given in the years I have been on this forum.

#1 - Carry your regs with you.
#2 - Get map with all the local rivers, and water ways
#3 - Pick a couple of those local waters you wish to fish
#4 - Check your regs for any restrictions
#5 - Explore the area in which you have chosen.

In the slower part of the year this is what I do. I have a very long list of some of the places I plan on fishing for cutthroat in the fall/winter. Many of them I have never even been to but I will be doing lots of walking. Maybe just maybe I will find some water in which I can add to my long list of fishing locations.

i hate to say this because most of the time we don't see eye to eye...but well posted...maybe daumzilla can take a pointer or two of how to post like a seasoned veteran.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »

I have to agree that the best info a person can get is by getting out and doing some searching and walk and fish our local flows,i know there are many fisherman that have spent thousands of hours walking our streams and are self taught on best times ,tactics ,conditions etc and yes it does bother some people to see internet fisherman surfing for easy answers instead of just going out and doing what we all love to do and thats to fish.I have found that the internet ,while it can be a usefull tool is just another one of the present day mechanisms in our society that make people lazy and instead of getting out and doing they spend more time searching for the easy way on the websites such as this,for the most part most seasoned fisherman are not going to give away many secrets on the internet but i believe sites such as this can be a great teaching tool for the people that are new to our sport and i don't see any point in poor treatment of these individuals just because they may not know any better,in time the newbies will learn and a little help along the way can only make everyones experiences on the water more enjoyable,instead some forum members choose to chastise beginners and send them off to the rivers frustrated,in the long run that doesn't do him any good or the guys that end up fishing beside him on the flow.

agreed.

another thing also...we always talk about how we need to educate newbies on fishing ethics... if we turn them away or treat them disrespectfully when they first ask for help...how would we get them to listen if they were to pick up any bad habits learning on their own?

waxfeet

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 08:19:58 PM »

After the day I had today, I won't be making my spots public on this forum. Totally agree to those who say you spend hours researching spots, walking, conditions etc...

I had a great day today and hope you all did too!

fish007

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 08:41:27 PM »

Seems you got a good spot today. Is it on Squamish River? (no need to know the spot)

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 10:33:28 PM »

wow i started quite a firestorm with my comment, probably should have kept that one to myself.  I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, kinda grumpy after getting skunked 3 days in a row, and thinking my salmon season was over.  But its nice to see how the thread has taken off in a completely different direction.  I have spent countless days walking local rivers, spending more time driving aroung looking for spots to fish than actual fishing, talking to locals trying to pick their brain, asking questions, talking to guys at tackle shops, etc, etc.  My point being everyting I have been through has made me a better fisherman, and more in touch with my local fishing community. I owe alot of my fishing success to this site.  It's an excellent resource for a newbie salmon fisheman to learn the local rivers, techniques, etc..  Without FWR I would not have the knowledge and the confidence in my fishing abilities that I have today.

My comment was meant for the dude with one post asking for exact directions to a Squamish spot.  I tried quote it but after all that I couldn't find it, it might even be in a different thread, oops.... After all I have been through on my eternal quest for chromers it just rubbed me the wrong way when some random newbie asks us for a spot where he can bring em in sideways..  Like I said, go for a walk........

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2009, 11:31:28 PM »

Im not sure about others but sometimes the best part of fishing is the unknown.
There is nothing like walking a river for the first time and the excitement that each new bend in the river brings.
There is enough info on these sites and elsewhere that with a small amount of homework you can almost dial in the different systems,species in them and when to go.
Not only that but once you get to the different rivers it is fairly obvious where the runs are just by the amount of vehicles in the area.
Good luck wherever you decide and hope to hear about the great day you had so i can ask you where you got them. ;D

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 05:20:26 AM »

Im not sure about others but sometimes the best part of fishing is the unknown.
There is nothing like walking a river for the first time and the excitement that each new bend in the river brings.
There is enough info on these sites and elsewhere that with a small amount of homework you can almost dial in the different systems,species in them and when to go.
Not only that but once you get to the different rivers it is fairly obvious where the runs are just by the amount of vehicles in the area.
Good luck wherever you decide and hope to hear about the great day you had so i can ask you where you got them. ;D

Could not have said it better myself. I think alot of this is lost on the guys who only come out only at this time of the season. If you had the attitude of finding one spot and not exploring during the stealhead season especially up my way you would have alot of days where you would not be able to feel your feet and would not have touched a thing.

Seems you got a good spot today. Is it on Squamish River? (no need to know the spot)

If someone doesn't post there location you should probably respect that. If you are wondering, yes there are fish in the Squamish. Some spots are good and some are not so good. Take a chance and explore. :-\
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 05:33:13 AM by dereke »
always a student