Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Electric Motor Suggestions  (Read 2255 times)

SNapz

Electric Motor Suggestions
« on: May 24, 2005, 07:44:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at purchasing an electric motor that would be used on a 12ft Aluminum Boat for trolling in lakes. I was just wondering what you would all recommend for brands and models. Thanks in advance.

reach

• Yard work can wait.
Re: Electric Motor Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 09:39:04 PM »

I was looking at Steveston Marine Hardware's web site.  They've been clearing out some Minn Kotas for a while now.  They still have the 40AP listed for $400 in the clearance section.  The autopilot feature would be awesome.  I think it's a bow mount but it's a screaming deal.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 10:59:24 AM »

Been using Minn Kota's for a considerable time now (as in decades). Outlasted many of my buddies rigs (other brands). The warrenty has never had to be used yet, which, in my hands, means a LOT!   ;D

For a 12 footer, anything 30 lb thrust and up should suffice. But my new 80lb thrust Riptide would likely plane her  :D

Cheers,
Nog

SNapz

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:42:03 PM »

I was looking at the Minn Kota Maxxum or Vector with a 40lb thrust. If I am just using it at a low speed for trolling how long in general would the battery usually last? I know that both of these use their Maximizer feature which should extend the battery life however how long is this on average?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 07:22:03 AM »

I too recommend the Minn Kota. Have used one for years and absolutely no problem. As far as how long does a battery last, very difficult to predict. What eats the reserve is moving from location to location at high speed. Using mine for trolling and changing positions only (10 ft aluminum boat) I get two full days (about 6 hrs of fishing each day for a total of 12 hrs) on a battery charge. If I charge around from spot to spot I get considerably less.)
"One man of courage makes a majority"

blueback

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:04:23 PM »

I have to agree with the other guys. I've had my Minn Kota for close to ten years now with notta problem and a fair bit of use. If I'm conservative with my acceleration, I can get 3 days of 8-10hr days of trolling (mine has the Maximiser too, and is 34lbs of thrust on a 12ft alum). I love the idea of the 80lb thrust Riptide though. It would be sweet on my salt boat. What's one of those worth Nog?