Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Centerpin shoulder  (Read 5995 times)

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
Re: Centerpin shoulder
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »

Just making sure you were not fishing a 4120 or something similar.

I have learned to avoid fat cork handles, heavy rods and short rear handles as the best ways to avoid fatigue.

Sounds like something else here.

Maybe try doing silly stretches before fishing, or some Yoga :0
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Jk47

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 11:09:25 AM »

I can see this becoming a thing; “Join BentRods every Saturday and Sunday riverside for a rejuvenating and therapeutic pre-dawn yoga session!!” I’m IN  ;D

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »

I get a sore upper back usually after 4-6 hrs of repeated casting with my levelwind rod/reel combo. ABU low profile Revo and Sage 10'6" drift rod. I think it's from the repetition of casting and wearing a fishing vest. I have emptied my vest to the bare minimums needed for an outing. I hike about 4-6 kilometres per outing which tests my stamina and I have no problems in that regard. The only time my back ever hurts is after a few hrs of fishing so I have to call it day to rest to relieve the pain. The rest relieves the pain and I'm able to fish the next day where the process repeats itself. Fish/back pain/rest and repeat. The aging process catching up to me as the yrs go by.

ribolovac02

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »

I used to fish a3113 mb with a islander,heavy, not balanced, short cork past the reel, gave me pain after along use,I for this reason had built a 3113 LB with a shorter cork ,above the reel, but longer but section , to balance the rod with the reel ,and also have more but ,to anchore the rod under my wrist towards my elbow,made the cork thin , it’s a feather weight ,combined with my 4 inch kingfisher , I take it easy on the reeling in and rarely ever feel any pain , unless I worked 6 days a week and then went fishing lol

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 05:46:44 PM »

I get a sore upper back usually after 4-6 hrs of repeated casting with my levelwind rod/reel combo. ABU low profile Revo and Sage 10'6" drift rod. I think it's from the repetition of casting and wearing a fishing vest. I have emptied my vest to the bare minimums needed for an outing. I hike about 4-6 kilometres per outing which tests my stamina and I have no problems in that regard. The only time my back ever hurts is after a few hrs of fishing so I have to call it day to rest to relieve the pain. The rest relieves the pain and I'm able to fish the next day where the process repeats itself. Fish/back pain/rest and repeat. The aging process catching up to me as the yrs go by.

I get the same or similar back pain, on the right just under the shoulder blade near my spine I have experienced it for at least 20 years and with time it has been getting worse. I mostly fly fish. A Physiotherapist told me to lie on the floor with a pool noodle or tightly wound towel between my shoulder blades for 5 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. I haven't done it enough to know if it helps and another was skeptical when I talked to him about it.

Interesting thing is I don't get this pain when fishing out of a boat or PWC where I sit most of the time or when fishing with a 2 handed rod
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »

......along with the two handed grip try resting the back of your upper arm against your ribs/torso and butting the rod to your shoulder for the drift...takes a bit of getting use to but seems to help .... mix it up and the strain will be less concentrated....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart