Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal fraser fishing - newbie  (Read 5550 times)

rileym97

Tidal fraser fishing - newbie
« on: August 07, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »

I am still new at fishing in the Fraser river but I know there is going to be a big pink salmon run this year so I want to get on board with everyone else an enjoy some of the fishing. I just want to ask how to fish for pink salmon. I have heard they are the easiest of the bunch and figured they are a perfect target for me. I got all my licenses and am ready to fish - except for the part where I know how to fish for salmon. If you can give me some helping tips to get me started I would be grateful! Thanks.

Nicolas The Fisherman

Re: Tidal fraser fishing - newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 04:35:11 PM »

I am still new at fishing in the Fraser river but I know there is going to be a big pink salmon run this year so I want to get on board with everyone else an enjoy some of the fishing. I just want to ask how to fish for pink salmon. I have heard they are the easiest of the bunch and figured they are a perfect target for me. I got all my licenses and am ready to fish - except for the part where I know how to fish for salmon. If you can give me some helping tips to get me started I would be grateful! Thanks.
Casting and retrieving spoons, spinners and buzz bombs in pink colours is the best and easiest way to catch pinks in the lower Fraser. I have also used chartreuse, orange and red coloured lures with some success but pink has always worked the best. Just tie the spinner to your main line and cast out. Let the lure sink for 5 seconds or so and then start to slowly reel in the line. Hope that helps!  :)

rileym97

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 04:38:26 PM »

Thanks I got a couple of pink spoons that will hopefully work! Is a 7ft rod ideal for pinks or is it too small?

Nicolas The Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »

Thanks I got a couple of pink spoons that will hopefully work! Is a 7ft rod ideal for pinks or is it too small?
A 7ft rod is what I've always used when fishing pinks in the Fraser. The pinks aren't too large so it's a perfect choice. No need for anything longer.

chronicfisher

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:09 PM »

I myself use a 7ft rod. Rated for 6-12 lb spooled with 10lb mainline which has been plenty good enough for me so far. Anything heavier then 10lb line you lose a bit of  casting distance. Good luck and tight lines

rileym97

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:45:43 PM »

Looks like I got a decent setup then. Now I just got to hit the water. Any fishing spot you would recommend? I know a few but it never hurts to know more.

chronicfisher

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »

Anywhere along the Fraser.  Look up Google maps and maybe you can find your own spot away from the crowds but if not go for a drive and you'll see ppl fishing along the shore.  River Road, new westminster quay,sapperton landing just to name a few spots

rileym97

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »

Sounds good! Is using a float and some bait or yarn good? I have seen people do this but didn't stay long enough to see if it works.

chronicfisher

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:00 PM »

Sounds good! Is using a float and some bait or yarn good? I have seen people do this but didn't stay long enough to see if it works,

JMO that's not needed. Casting spoons,spinners and buzzbomb works great. Try different retrieval speeds and lures you'll know when your dialed in.

rileym97

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »

Alright, is fishing now considered early? Or does it matter when I am in the tidal? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I need every scrap of help, lol.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 05:36:01 PM »

Alright, is fishing now considered early? Or does it matter when I am in the tidal? Sorry to bombard you with questions but I need every scrap of help, lol.

go fishing... u never know what u will catch. just be sure you are able to identify before u kill what u caught !

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »

Not meant to be snarky at all, but have you tried using the forum search function? There is a massive thread regarding Fraser pinks every time the run comes through. Lots and lots of posts full of great info that will cover all the basics.

The 2013 version:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33431.0

There's 58 pages so that should keep you going for a while  :)

And just googling 'fishing fraser river pink salmon' will give you a lot of great articles and videos too, some from this site.

By all means, ask your questions, and we'll be happy to answer though you can find a lot of the answers yourself with a little searching.

As far as your last question, yes it would historically be considered a little early, though I wouldn't be surprised if some have already started to trickle in. Only one way to find out!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:38:10 PM by DanL »

rileym97

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »

I tried google but I couldn't come up with anything that I could really understand, so I came here and asked for some help from people who are regulars for fishing the Fraser and I didn't realize they had a mega thread for it.

rileym97

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 12:24:44 AM »

Thanks Rodney, pretty excited to get out there this year. Last year I tried fishing for sockeye but didn't catch anything but the bottom of the river! Thanks for the help everyone!