Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trinity pond issue  (Read 9588 times)

zacrum

Trinity pond issue
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »

I've been having a debate with a friend and I would like to see your thoughts on it    he claims that since trinity is on private property  you don't need a liscenece and can use barbed and dual and trebels   and can basically dis regard all laws put in play     where as I see it as you still have to follow the laws   and also ask for permission from the University  input please

FishOn36

Re: Trinity pond issue
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:03:22 PM »

I've been having a debate with a friend and I would like to see your thoughts on it    he claims that since trinity is on private property  you don't need a liscenece and can use barbed and dual and trebels   and can basically dis regard all laws put in play     where as I see it as you still have to follow the laws   and also ask for permission from the University  input please

If you're fishing, you need a license... no question. Being that it's not a river/stream, barbed and treble hooks are allowed. You don't have to ask for permission to fish it, just make sure to take out any garbage that you bring in. It's a privilege being able to fish in there, so keep it clean!

" Who needs a Non-tidal Angling Licence?

If you are 16 years of age or older, you must have a valid Non-tidal Angling Licence to fish for any species of fish in non-tidal waters (including salmon).  "

Source: http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/faq_anglers.html

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »

But interestingly, when you fish the pond at the Freshwater Fisheries hatchery, you DON'T need a license - I was told by them.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »

But interestingly, when you fish the pond at the Freshwater Fisheries hatchery, you DON'T need a license - I was told by them.

DS - Perhaps there are exemptions for isolated ponds like u-catch places etc as no licenses are needed to fish there as well.  I believe Trinity Western ponds are connected to a small creek that runs into the Fraser.

Zacrum - Sounds like your friend heard from a friend who heard from a friend which doesn't really work when fishing.  Might want to ask your friend where he found that info out.  I'd also suggest a paper copy or a printed copy of the regs and browse them once in a while.  If in doubt never hurts to ask on forums but don't rely on the answers provided as 100%.  You could always make a phone call as well to be absolutely sure or even ask in a tackle shop.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:33:07 PM »

It's the Province's position that that all bodies of water (as opposed to artificial ponds) are public resources. Trinity pond was best I know formed from a natural water way. If that's the case all of it is public & all regulations apply. It may even be considered part of a stream just as beaver ponds are part of a stream and not lakes.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:31:44 PM »

It's the Province's position that that all bodies of water (as opposed to artificial ponds) are public resources. Trinity pond was best I know formed from a natural water way. If that's the case all of it is public & all regulations apply. It may even be considered part of a stream just as beaver ponds are part of a stream and not lakes.
This PDF (from TWU's planning documents on the lake construction) seems to indicate that the lake is independent from the salmon river:

https://www.twu.ca/about/our-history/1970s/1973/park-lake-project.pdf

Having screens at both intake and outflow to block any fish migration into/out of the lake.

Personally, I would buy a license anyway since it's the only easy way to get money into the hands of the Freshwater Fisheries Society but I am curious about this case.... I wouldn't want to be the guy that had to go to court to set the precedence on this body of water.  ::)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »

https://www.twu.ca/about/news/general/2008/twu-begins-invasive-species-fish-cull.html

Trinity Western University in cooperation with the Ministry of Environment and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) is beginning a lengthy and complicated project to return the pond at the entrance of the campus back into the healthy salmon habitat it once was.

It is estimated that a little over five years ago a variety of invasive species of fish were introduced illegally to the water on the Langley campus. "Someone probably dumped them in attempts to make a good fishing spot. Today we have bass, pumpkinseed and carp. None of these fish are native to BC. Pumpkin seeds and bass come from the Southern US, and carp originate from Southeast Asia," says Christopher Hall, TWU's Ecosystem Study Area Manager.

When an invasive species is discovered, it's the law to report it to the Ministry of Environment and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Under government guidance, TWU is beginning an invasive species fish cull. All fish over half an inch long will be weighed, identified, measured and their maturity determined before they are destroyed. Fish scale studies may also be undertaken to help determine the age of the fish. All this will help in understanding how to properly return the pond to a healthy salmon habitat. When asked if there are any salmon in the pond that will be affected by the cull Hall says, "No. Most, if not all, have been eaten by bass."

While here it says salmon habitat.  I'd suggest buying a license as well and/or simply inquiring through the proper channels.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »

I'm being a litle tongue in cheek, but not really, when I say that you are welcome to use barbs and trebles and yard out every bass in that pond.  A couple of years ago the university (under pressure from MOE) electroshocked the lake and euthanized all not native fish. A lot of bass were destroyed, but not enough. Keep it up. It's a little too close in proximity to the Salmon River.     

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:34:41 PM »

Bass have already been caught in the Salmon River. That's it's presently screened to keep fish in the lake from getting into the river and vice versa indicates it is part of that system and the Province would consider it a public waterway and you'd require a license to fish it to avoid a fine. I never could understand why they decided to build the silly lake in the first place. It was dumb idea.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

zacrum

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »

See I have looked into it  and called the school they say it's private   but fisheries  says it's private but governed  by there laws   and that you have to follow there laws   but need the school to give permission   and then you call the school and they say no kill   and fisheries says only invasive   and some of the fisheries people say it doesn't show on their listing

VA7DDP

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »

Instead of Guessing....

Fish and Wildlife Regional Office - Lower Mainland
(604) 586-4400

FishOn36

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »

On the topic of trinity, has anyone tried fishing in there lately?

zacrum

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »

did some bass there not long ago didnt have much luck as they had just shocked the pond again   early july   but   i have heard its starting to pop again

noxcape

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:00 AM »

Trust me 167 dollar later for not havinb my.liscnece on me.you need one there lol.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »

did some bass there not long ago didnt have much luck as they had just shocked the pond again   early july   but   i have heard its starting to pop again

I've been out to Albert Dyck in Abbotsford a couple of times over the past month and had good luck both times. It's just bass in there and everything I've caught has been in the 7-10" range. Nothing big but easy access, good swimming, and lots of bites. It's not too much farther from town than TWU and there are minimal weeds at Albert Dyck (and free parking!).

I've been trying to find some of the big bass that (supposedly) lurk in Deer Lake but the milfoil has been ruining my day, even fishing weedless setups :/